Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JUST GOT MAGNAFLOWS & GOT DRONE, ANY FIX????

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:12 AM
mspiro77

Default JUST GOT MAGNAFLOWS & GOT DRONE, ANY FIX????

Have heard about something called "resonators" do they help? any other options?
Old 04-26-2006, 12:15 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default RE: JUST GOT MAGNAFLOWS & GOT DRONE, ANY FIX????

Resonators are for Lincolns and Caddies and you have no place to install one. Drone is something all of us (who have installed new mufflers) live with, I didn't think I could live with my MAC's but now that they have broken in they seem to have mellowed out or I have gotten used to them. Some have more drone some have less, but to install resonators would banish you to the Lincoln forum....
Old 04-26-2006, 12:34 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

i know this sounds weird, but i like the drone........my bone stock 05 GT drones at 2900-3100 under moderate throttle, its like the only time the car is a little loud. id take your drone anyday lol. but seriously, a chambered muffler will drone more, the SLP loudmouths shouldn't drone as much if at all, what do you guys think?
Old 04-26-2006, 01:02 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Yep i agree you are going to get drone no matter what. The louder mufflers simply make it more pronounced. I know with the Borla the drone is only at certain RPM and MPH.

Richard
Old 04-26-2006, 02:11 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

The drone gets much better with time. I've had the Magnapacks on for a few weeks and it steadily got better and better. The worst was 5th gear at 65 on the freeway where any inrease in throttle would quadruple the volume of the drone. Now I never even notice it accept during a cold start in the morning before the idle settles in.

A pair of small resonators should help if it's really a problem. They're generally available between 12 and 18" long, so there's plenty of room for one on the mid-pipe. What they would most likely do is push the drone higher in the RPMs so you wouldn't hear it during normal driving, but it might come out when you wind it up.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:23 AM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

As another option you can take it to a muffler shop and have one of the mufflers moved upstream 2" or so, the ofset in distance should be just enough to stop the pulses from matching and eliminate the drone.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:16 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

i know a lot of guys in the v6 section put glasspacks to remove the drone, i dont really know what they mean by that, but i am sure a little searching will do the trick
Old 04-27-2006, 03:58 PM
mspiro77

If drone is part of the big pipe package then they should be called drone pipes and anyone who installs them (like me),is foolish.To gain a little more noise on takeoff (only a few seconds),and a handfull of horsepower(unnoticable),then deal with earsplittind drone all day at 45mph is rediculous.Just had saleen supercharger,injectors,air intake,and magnaflows done for 365rwhp on dyno,maybe should have left off pipes for 360rwhp.To say just deal with it or get a Lincoln is also foolish, my daily driver is a MagnumSRT8,415hp rocket ship,great sound no drone.I wonder if this is why other high performance cars (vettes,ferraris,BMWs,etc.)have quad exhausts ?? to reduce this problem??
Old 04-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Rkbarnes82
1st Gear Member

i got the saleen exhaust and it has a drone. it seems worst around 2000 rpms but sounds great above that.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:17 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Resonators will eliminate the drone and won't affect HP at all. They are a straight-through device with no obstruction for flow.

There is a TON of room for them. The Exhaust runs straight for some time after your H-pipe (or X-pipe) but before the rear axle.

Read this post:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1304367/tm.htm

You can use either a purpose-built resonator or a tube/bullet style muffler. The difference is that resonators tend to be shorter and don't have any packing. A muffler will have packing of some sort. Thus, the muffler would be slightly more effective than the resonator.

Quick Reply: JUST GOT MAGNAFLOWS & GOT DRONE, ANY FIX????