Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just saying Hello and I have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:26 PM
NastNaso
2nd Gear Member

Default Just saying Hello and I have a question.

Well first hello to all my fellow Mustang enthusiasts. I have had an 05 GT for about 3 month and I love it. Dont think I could ever drive anything else. I do have some big plans for it and Im starting with the exterior first. Just like professor wizard i would like to get the car up to a show level first then drop in the big money items.

My question for everyone is about painting. Has anyone painted there accessories like louvers or spoiler anything if so what kind of process did they use. More specific what kind of primer was used. I am about to paint the window louvers from street scene and they mention a primer I have never heard of something like Elastocell or something. So I would like to get some owners opinions and results. Thanks to all. I'll see ya around. Bye the way I am in the Long Island New York Area for anyone local. Later
Old 04-26-2006, 12:48 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Just saying Hello and I have a question.

ELASTOCELL is a urethane body mount.

I'd recommend that you go to a body shop to have your work done, especially one that specializes in custom work. All the advice in the world won't help you if you are a novice painter.

Did you buy your car new ?
Old 04-26-2006, 02:20 PM
NastNaso
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. I bought the car used with 900 miles on it. It was kind of lucky find. Glad it was me who found it.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:32 PM
sectionV8
1st Gear Member

I agree with lejay. I am currently having my louvers and new hood painted by my friends dad (who owns his own shop) and they’ve told me the process, it’s a lot of work for someone who is new to it. It may cost more, but in the long run it will be better. That’s just my opinion. But then again, I guess everyone’s got to start somewhere.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I'm with the majority on this one. Painting plastic is harder than painting metal. The prep work is waaaayyy more critical. Not only are you painting plastic which doesn't necessarily bond as well with paint but because plastic by nature is flexible, the primer has to be done right, otherwise you end up with cracking, peeling, and flaking of the paint in a very short amount of time.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:08 PM
NastNaso
2nd Gear Member

Alright I went down to a local paint shop and for $100 he'll hook everything up. Figured I have a lot more stuff coming so I might as well get my foot in the door at this place so I can get some nice prices eventually. Any car show that any one knows about in the New York area. Just moved back down here and am kind of in the dark.