Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuners vs. Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 12:27 PM
CORCEL_NEGRO

Default RE: Tuners vs. Warranty

Great thread!
What I don't understand is why if I install FORD Racing performance parts, my dealer will automatically void my warranty [:@] and I do mean AUTOMATICALLY!
Is Nissan doing that with NISMO parts or Chrysler with MOPAR?
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the GT/CS coming out of the factory with the FRPP power pack?
Old 04-27-2006, 01:47 PM
razol
1st Gear Member

Well lejay, I really was not interested in doing anything crazy with the tuner. I plan to put wider tires on the car with a lower profile. Does that mean I think I know more than Ford engineers? No, it means that I would like to have more stick to the raod than the factory tires give me and that I don't like the fat profile of the stock rubber. This will throw off my speedomenter and I would like to be able to set it myself rather than taking it into the dealer. Additionally, I would like to be able to read and reset check engine fault codes. On my last Ford, I got to pay a $75 diagnostic fee so that the delaer could reset my idiot light which was on because the gas cap was loose about 2 weeks before. Give me a break!
Old 04-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

talk to the dealer that will be servicing your car on a regular basis. There has been a lack of consistency in forum posters experiences with modding their cars and warranty's. Some dealerships have been very strict about mods on a car and others have some guidelines. While laws state one thing, dealerships have their own translations that right or wrong have been causing problems.

Talk to your dealer or several of them to get a good idea of what to expect.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:19 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Touchy, touchy, touchy.... go ahead and reset all the codes you want. You say you don't want to have to go to the dealer to do it, so do it yourself.

By the way,.... Who didn't tighten up the gas cap properly ? Was it you or someone else that turned on the IDIOT light ?
Old 04-27-2006, 03:13 PM
razol
1st Gear Member

Who didn't tighten up the gas cap properly ?
That seems like a rhetorical and condescending question Lejay, so I won't state the obvious.

My point was before you went off half cocked on your wild tangent, you might consider more practical uses. I would really rather not be forced to pay $75 to have some guy tell me that two weeks ago, I did not turn my gas cap far enough.

I was just looking for a fast answer, not your philosophical views on the topic.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:17 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LEJAY
By the way,.... Who didn't tighten up the gas cap properly ? Was it you or someone else that turned on the IDIOT light ?
...probably a series of sensors and a computer program turned on that light.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:31 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Whatever.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:28 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CORCEL_NEGRO

Great thread!
What I don't understand is why if I install FORD Racing performance parts, my dealer will automatically void my warranty [:@] and I do mean AUTOMATICALLY!
Is Nissan doing that with NISMO parts or Chrysler with MOPAR?
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the GT/CS coming out of the factory with the FRPP power pack?
I also own a 350Z and, with regards to the warranty with NISSAN and NISMO parts, there are some technicalities.
I'm sure you guys have heard of the tire feathering and alignment issue with early 350Zs well, last year, there was this extended warranty sent out to all Z owners of late 2002 - 2004 model years saying that they would recorrect the alignment and replace the tires free (if necessary), if you had it done the first time (including free tire replacement), because the problem would come back. On the back of this warranty notice, there were warranty terms saying that if you have OEM rims and tires the warranty applies, aftermarket wheels and tires you must return your vehicle back to its original state in order to have the warranty work done. Also, if you have NISMO rims, the warranty work will only be done if you have the OEM tires mounted on them. The problem with that is, NISMO rims require a wider and lower profile tire so you have to get different tires. You can mount the OEM tires, but it wont look right and you won't get the best performance out of them.
My Z has the NISMO rims and I ended up getting the wider and lower profile tires so I had to get my original rims and tires, luckly I still had them, pay to have them remounted and balanced (because they had to remove the tire psi sensors from inside the rim to install in the NISMOs) so that they could do the warranty.
And after they did all that, I went home and swapped the rims/tires back to my NISMOs. Boy was fun!!
But, other than that I love my Z.
I hope nothing like this happens to the Stang.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:06 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

I must agree with lejay. I drove the car I wanted home from the dealer. If I want to modify it I can but Ford is no longer responsible. Think from their point of view. Your product was modified by someone with no design experience in a fashion not tested by the product designers. IMO you modify it you own it you fix it.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:46 AM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Thanks, black06GT, you said it "point blank", and surely there will be some opposite replys. The OM states about mods and yet, the controversy continues.

Quick Reply: Tuners vs. Warranty