Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Calipers Discoloring

Old 04-28-2006, 09:00 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Front Brake Calipers Discoloring

Thanks for the feedback guys. It really looks to me like the paint they used got BAKED really bad and changed into this crappy white stuff. Think I'd have any luck at all with the dealer getting new ones...or do I need to suck it up and paint them like WickedPony is doing?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:55 PM
b_hollier
2nd Gear Member

It does not cost much to paint them. The hardest part is taking them off. Just pull them sand them down, clean, prime paint, reinstall. Could do it in about a day. I have done it in the past on other vehicles and the hardest thing is reinstalling without scratching the paint job. Good Luck. I would go with black and paint the calipers red while you have them off. Just my 2 cents!

Old 04-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

SonicStangGirl,

They make 2 different caliper paint kits - you do not have to take your calipers off. Both kits come with paint, brushes and cleaner and come in many colors. If you have a sonic blue stang you might want to consider royal blue (that color is available in both kits). The cheaper kit you can get at any auto parts store auto zone, pep boys and its about $15. The more expensive kit you can get at www.eastwood.com. and its around $30. This paint is high heat paint and will protect your calipers better.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:44 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Just paint them it will only cost you about 40.00 for the good kit by G-2 and you do not even have to remove them to do it. I did mine last weekend. Here are some before and after pictures for you guys. The front had already faded to that whitish color after only being a week old The rears however still had the silver look to them. I took a wire brush to them to see if I could get it to come off but no luck so I prepped them and painted right over it. You can get the G-2 Caliper kit in your color choice from either tirerack.com or eastwood.com

Again I painted them whithout removal.

Richard
Old 05-01-2006, 01:04 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for all of the info guys. Sure wish Ford had used better caliper paint. Sucks to have spent nearly $30K for a car with parts you have to repair immediately. Oh well. Maybe I'll try my hand at the paint kits that you allow you to paint the calipers with out removing them first. I'll just have to get a floor jack first!

Here is one of my calipers with its messed up paint. This happened at about 6800 miles.

[IMG]local://upfiles/27351/D8928EB9C92B4DA69EA3C7798A5F1300.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-01-2006, 01:17 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SonicStanGirl

Thank you for all of the info guys. Sure wish Ford had used better caliper paint. Sucks to have spent nearly $30K for a car with parts you have to repair immediately. Oh well. Maybe I'll try my hand at the paint kits that you allow you to paint the calipers with out removing them first. I'll just have to get a floor jack first!

Here is one of my calipers with its messed up paint. This happened at about 6800 miles.

Don't feel to bad the first picture of my caliper is brand new the car is only a week old. Well 2 weeks now

Richard