Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear upper and lower control arm questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 04:58 PM
06TRGT

Default Rear upper and lower control arm questions

I am looking for feedback about replacing the upper and lower rear control arms on my 06 GT. From what I can see there are many different routes to take. What I am looking at is:
Tubular lower control arms:
BMR Lower
or machined aluminum lower control arms:
Metco Lower

Tubular upper control arm:
BMR Upper
Or use something totally different:
Metco Upper

The car might see the drag stip at some point, but it will see some open track events soon. I already have the complete Roush suspension and the BMR panhard rod and and support so this is my last step for the rear.

Is there any problem with the welds breaking on the tubular pieces?
Is the aluminum any stronger than the steel tubing?
The Metco pivoting upper control arm sounds like a good idea. Will there be much of a difference between that and a piece that has more resistance for the rear axle to deal with?
There is a pretty significant price difference between the different pieces, is it worth it?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:10 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rear upper and lower control arm questions

I do not think you will go wrong either way. Metco does make a better looking piece, but the rotating upper does not make sense to me. How often do you put your car in a situation where you need more movement than the bushing will allow. And that resistance (factory or BMR) seems to me like it will help keep you flatter. I believe the more moving parts something has, the better the chance for something else to fail. I use the BMR upper and lowers and also the adjustable lower bracket since I am lowered. I am very pleased with performance and I personally like the red powder coat, matches the red interior and some other underhood things I have done in red. Now, that said, lets hear from someone with Metco and put you right back where you started.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:35 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Why not ask your "aftermarket supplier" these questions, rather than relying on opinions, from someone that may have them because it's the "hot" thing to buy, but, has never really tested them, the way you ask ?

Man, I gotta a problem with ppl that buy the absolute BEST car in the last 25 years, and feel they need to improve it, on their own.

GO BUY the f***in' SALEEN, ROUSH, whatever you want, those folks did the upgrades through engineering and cooperation with FORD.

The ppl selling you aftermarket items care about selling you aftermarket items. That's it.

R U gonna have a SALEEN or ROUSH ? Hell no, maybe a generic form.

BUNCHA, "hot rod wannabees", if ya want the "super hot rod", go buy it. LEAVE the stock 'Stang alone, she's in a class all her "own".

JMO
Old 04-29-2006, 01:26 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

LEJAY - What the heck, sorry but I'm not impressed by either a Saleen or a Roush, my car as it sits makes more power than either and has better suspension components for considerably less money and isn't fugly like a Saleen and isn't over priced like a Roush.

"hot rod wannabees"???????????? Last time I checked hot rodders were the ones that took a car and improved on it, buying a Saleen or Roush just proves you have more money than good sense.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:52 AM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

Dude he just asked a question. Chill. Last I checked people had the right to modify their cars if they wanted. lots of times "aftermarket suppliers" just try to sell you their product, so getting peoples honest opinions from here is very helpful. if you don't like it then don't read it and respond. JMO
ORIGINAL: LEJAY

Why not ask your "aftermarket supplier" these questions, rather than relying on opinions, from someone that may have them because it's the "hot" thing to buy, but, has never really tested them, the way you ask ?

Man, I gotta a problem with ppl that buy the absolute BEST car in the last 25 years, and feel they need to improve it, on their own.

GO BUY the f***in' SALEEN, ROUSH, whatever you want, those folks did the upgrades through engineering and cooperation with FORD.

The ppl selling you aftermarket items care about selling you aftermarket items. That's it.

R U gonna have a SALEEN or ROUSH ? Hell no, maybe a generic form.

BUNCHA, "hot rod wannabees", if ya want the "super hot rod", go buy it. LEAVE the stock 'Stang alone, she's in a class all her "own".

JMO
Old 04-29-2006, 02:08 AM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

Two words..... STOCK SUXS!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:14 AM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

ur right spike
Old 04-29-2006, 11:58 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I would stay away from the billet aluminum control arms. The tubular steel versions won't look as good, but are much stronger. Oh, they're less expensive too.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:13 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

06TRGT

Do you have any issue with the BMR upper Panhard support hitting your exhaust? Curious as I have a clearance issue wiht mine and I guess a few others are as well. BMR is having to recheck the jig and the way the part was made compared to the stock unit. If you are having a issue you should contatc them and let them know the more of us that infoprm them of this the better it will be.

Lejay did you take your meds today? You have got to stop missing your med times. It is ok everyone this is just normal for him.[sm=headbang.gif]

Richard

Old 04-30-2006, 02:58 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Dang Leejay! On a rant or what?

Quick Reply: Rear upper and lower control arm questions