Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you change?

Old 05-02-2006, 08:24 PM
tashunka_skah

Default RE: What would you change?

All good suggestions although none of these were "deal killers" for me - I still love my car on day 2! [8D]

I don't think anyone mentioned factory tinted glass - I just paid $150 to have mine done today (I wish I went darker than 35%). Seems like that should be standard on a sports car although I guess different states have different tint regs... I would also like stereo controls (at least a mute button) on the steering wheel.

Regarding the new Camaro (assuming GM doesn't go bankrupt first), I bet one equipped with a V8 will be well over $35k. My GT convertible was a hell of a lot less!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:45 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

Only significant one for me is there isn't quite enough leg clearance for those of us with long legs. I end up being a bit back farther from the steering wheel than I'd like so right my knee doesn't rub on the plastic.

I also find it awkward to shift with my coffee in the cup holder, but I really don't see another way to design it. The door pockets are hard to get to and rather small but that's probably a side effect of the sub speakers.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:56 PM
AirForceGeorge
1st Gear Member

I disagree on the seats. I was worried with there were rumors that it would only be a 2 seater. When we go for a drive or a weekend trip etc I have a carseat I throw back there for my daughter and she fits just fine without any adjustment for the passenger.

There are times when friends are over or you're going to pick people up or you're all out and a DD is needed and throwing a couple people back there for a quick trip saves a lot of trouble. Not to mention with my wife in the passenger seat an average sized person could go for a trip behind her. Maybe not cross country but my brother rode behind my wife with my daughter behind me in my 2000 and we took a 2 hour trip with the top down just fine.

Also, It's awesome storage space. Not to mention I've hauled crap in it as if it were a pickup. A door? 12 foot pieces of moulding? A little rope, throw it in the back and drop the top! Gotta have the rear seats.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:02 PM
AirForceGeorge
1st Gear Member

I disagree on the seats. I was worried with there were rumors that it would only be a 2 seater. When we go for a drive or a weekend trip etc I have a carseat I throw back there for my daughter and she fits just fine without any adjustment for the passenger.

There are times when friends are over or you're going to pick people up or you're all out and a DD is needed and throwing a couple people back there for a quick trip saves a lot of trouble. Not to mention with my wife in the passenger seat an average sized person could go for a trip behind her. Maybe not cross country but my brother rode behind my wife with my daughter behind me in my 2000 and we took a 2 hour trip with the top down just fine.

Also, It's awesome storage space. Not to mention I've hauled crap in it as if it were a pickup. A door? 12 foot pieces of moulding? A little rope, throw it in the back and drop the top! Gotta have the rear seats.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:23 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: razol

Independent rear suspension

Power passenger seat (already in 2007 model)
Heated seats (2007)
Auto dimming rearview mirror (2007)
Internal trunk release
Locking fuel fill door with release inside (I know this will be important soon)
Heated side mirrors
Color matching exterior on side mirrors
Get rid of silly rear quarter windows
Shaker 500 delete (so I dont have to pay to remove the POS)
Valet key with no trunk access

these two contradict each other lol. also, the no trunk acess wouldnt help, the back seats fold down.

i love the car, but a couple things could be better. the car is too damn quiet, especially on the inside. i know, comfort=sales, but come on, gotta have some engine noise! nothing an o/r pipe wont cure tho.

also, the shifter is a bit iffy. i dont know what this is due to, but the synchros have to wind up before you do a big downshift, i.e. 4th to 2nd at like 35 mph, it wont go in until it winds up "BRLINNNNNNNNGDING DING CLICK." also, first gear is untouchable at anything over 10 mph, and second gear seems a bit long.

of course, a GODDAMN INDEPENDENT REAR.

also, i think a nice 350 hp would be perfect. 300 is kind of on the cusp, and not quite enough to kill an LS1. ford should have made the first strike in these upcoming HP wars and gone with a big number. oh well, a CAI, tune, and x pipe will fix that.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:59 PM
sdh99

ORIGINAL: LEJAY

I'm considering some padded upholstery on the right side drivers side of the console area where the knee rubs. Not alot maybe a 1/2" of foam with some bl leather over it, glued, not sewn.
FYI do a search on eBay - someone is selling a square or rectangular pad that covers the area the right knee hits the center console.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:22 AM
06VistaGT
1st Gear Member

I can't believe this hasn't come up yet:

THE STOCK HEADLIGHTS ARE NEARLY USELESS!!!

They shine about 50' down the road. The other night I was driving around a sharp bend and couldn't see anything; the lights just do not shine far enough in front or to the side. The driving lights are definitely better, but I don't want to use them constantly. I wonder if there is anyway to adjust the headlights up so they shine further down the road.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:14 PM
McBudd
2nd Gear Member

I have to disagree on the "silly" rear quarter windows, that is why I got a coupe instead of a vert was for them

ORIGINAL: razol

Independent rear suspension

Power passenger seat (already in 2007 model)
Heated seats (2007)
Auto dimming rearview mirror (2007)
Internal trunk release
Locking fuel fill door with release inside (I know this will be important soon)
Heated side mirrors
Color matching exterior on side mirrors
Get rid of silly rear quarter windows
Shaker 500 delete (so I dont have to pay to remove the POS)
Valet key with no trunk access

Old 05-03-2006, 02:46 PM
karmann6898

Yah have to consider though... this is the first time the Mustangs come stock over the 200's in hp since the big-block era... You've gotta take what you can get, and hope for what it will be like with the next upgrade (08-09 )!
Old 05-03-2006, 03:09 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Speaking of the 08-09. Now, this is just my opinion, with some imagination. BUT, there might not be an'08.

With '07 production starting mid-year, what if FORD runs it for... 20 months or 12/31/07, then retools, and releases a 55th anniversary 'Stang in the Fall of '08, calling it an '09, to compete with the Camaro.

The "retro Stang" is a fantastic car, but, I really can't see a long life for this body style. FORD's next competition is the Camaro, and they will need to react proactively in the market.

JMO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would you change?