Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different gas problem - spillage

Old 05-05-2006, 12:19 AM
06ragtop
1st Gear Member

Default A different gas problem - spillage

Filled up the car for the first time today and I locked the handle and let it go since the tank was at 1/4 full, figured it would take a while. Put in 30 bucks (which was right about 11 gallons) and it clicked off, but also spit a bunch of gas out all over the side of the car. This was not a super fast pump either, and it's not like it happened right away. I was watching the pump when it clicked off but the gas didn't spit out until I had turned my head toward the car. Had to be about a second.

Then to top it off, the guage only read 1/2 full as I head away from the pump.

Anyone else have this spillage, and if so, any thing you know to prevent it?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:53 AM
S.SubZero
1st Gear Member

Default RE: A different gas problem - spillage

I never had that specific problem, but for a while my tank was hard to fill, it would click off constantly and I couldn't even get the nozzle to stay in the hole. It wouldn't "lock" like I am accustomed to.

After a while the tank normalized, tho I do still occasionally have problems with it not filling. I just have to find specific pumps at the gas stations that like my car.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:04 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

mine burped bad first two fillups- in last two weeks got brave and filled up at same 'burping' pumps again with no prob. except for 4 tankfuls, all the rest of my fillups were from one pump that 'worked' ok when others didnt. No friggin clue why problem fixed itself, but I'm pretty sure it will return sooner or later.

best advice I'd give is insert nozzle, pull it back about an inch, set on first click, and step back to make sure you dont get sprayed. my first fillup dumped a good half gallon, huge mess...second sprayed out with enought force got a misting of gas all over my pantleg, really stunk up the car. the times mine puked was same as with you, a second after pump shuts off- like backpressure pushes back after flow stops or something, but really dont make sense. look at the filltube, easy to see why an issue- near 4 feet long, snakes around up/down/behind spring before dropping into one side of tank...and its only maybe 7/8 inch diameter- look under its tiny looking- and thats a piece of plastic tubing covering a much smaller tube...goofy setup, but still wouldnt trade the car for the world- most fun ever had driving.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:00 AM
mikewillsmith
2nd Gear Member

I had the same thing. 06 GT conv. and the first time I filled it up, a normal speed pump barfed gas all over the place. 2nd time, same thing, but the tanks I have done recently (at the same pumps) haven't done it.
I'm a mechanic so I know these things don't "cure" themselves but I have no idea why it did it at fist, and now doesn't seem to barf gas.
Odd.

Mike
06 GT conv.