Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filling the gas tank on my 2005

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 01:09 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Filling the gas tank on my 2005

I have an 06 and it's happened to me twice. I'm getting an oil change at the dealership in the next few days; I'll be asking them about this then.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:15 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Don't have the problem.. but we need to start letting the dealer know about these problems .. that way they can come up with a fix ... something like that would bother me bad...!!!!
JMO

Rex
Old 05-08-2006, 02:37 PM
THEHOG

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

This is an old problem that might be fixed if they made yours before the cutoff date. Check TSB's at the top of the page. Yes, it's a venting problem.
My GT almost never fills up normally at the Mobil station that has the newer style pumps. I put it in, set the lock and it shuts off after about 8 seconds! So I have to hold the handle at about the 3 o'clock position. I can then set the lock and it has never kept pumping to the point of overflowing. At stations with the older style of handle, without that big plastic sleeve, it works normal. I know I should ask them to repair this but I'm hesitant to have them tear up my car when it doesn't have to be torn up... Maybe when I ask them to fix all the noises coming from the rear suspension and rear seat...

I HAD THE GAS PROBLEM FOR THE FIRST 5 WEEKS BUT IT SEEMS TO BE GETTING BETTER.

I AM TAKING MY 06 GT IN TOMM. FOR THE NOISE IN THE REAR END. THIS IS SOME STRANGE NOISE COMING FROM THE REAR WHEN I TURN. I WILL LET YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT IT IS WHEN I GETS FIXED.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:39 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frzn pony

Is this normal for the 2005 GT.I'm an ASE tech of 25 yrs and work in a Dodge Dealer for 17.The Charger,Magnum,300C's run the same style gas tank.It takes for ever to fill this thing up.The pump keeps shutting off due to the fact I think the tank can't vent the air fast enough.Then when ya get to the top in runs down the side of the car.Anyone else had this problem???

Had this issue early on.
This happened on my 350Z so I turned the nozzle upside down and it filled up fine without stopping.
So, when I noticed this on my Stang I just did the same thing. It has gone away, but happens every once in a blue moon, but I just turn it upside down and it works.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:50 PM
LRay

The dealer filled it when I picked it up, but the second tank on Sunday I had a problem initially getting it to take gas. Then it seemed to be OK, until it shut off. It spit gas out all over the pump handle and down the side of the car. I'll try it one more time, then it goes back to the dealer.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:23 PM
mhahnjr
1st Gear Member

Yeah I had that problem once...the hole in the tank was too small and I couldn't fit the nozzel from the pump into it. man that was hard to fill.......and then I had this problem with my catalyic converter

I guess I am too old...no one got the Regular" gas joke.... but... oh well.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:55 PM
adherrera722
1st Gear Member

O I know this problem pretty well. Happens about once a month or so. Part of the problem is the car and the air vents for the tank. Last time I checked, there's no recall on it but you can have it fixed if it really bothers you that much. The other half of the problem is what everone else has been saying, the pumps. For the most part, the newer pumps can be to blame put my 05 works fine on some of them and I got my 05 within the first couple of weeks of release. As far as it overflowing, I've never had the problem yet thank god.

[IMG]local://upfiles/27268/84B71EF5C5CA4A9C9E9A3856701DB6C7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-08-2006, 06:55 PM
madmike
1st Gear Member

I'm on my second gas tank and the problem was only half fixed. From a quarter to half, no fill problem, from half to full, it shuts off all the time. Now I have to hold the nozzle at the 3 o'clock position for the tank to fill to almost full. Don't want to take it back to the dealer, idiot mechanics scratched my door sills on my last visit, any more scratches and I might go to jail!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:22 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: madmike

I'm on my second gas tank and the problem was only half fixed. From a quarter to half, no fill problem, from half to full, it shuts off all the time. Now I have to hold the nozzle at the 3 o'clock position for the tank to fill to almost full. Don't want to take it back to the dealer, idiot mechanics scratched my door sills on my last visit, any more scratches and I might go to jail!

These freakin Mechanics are joke as far as their lack of care with someones vehicle. I took our Mustang in last week to have the IUP panels replaced and the stupid *** working on the car scratched the hell out of the dash. So i told them to replace the part he scratched. Well that is not going to happen as the entire dash would have to be replaced for this to get done. So now i am stuck letting them have it fixed. I did some checking around and the guys they are going to hire to fix apparently are Excellent so hopefully all goes well. It simply amazes me at the lack of care these techs give cars and trucks. I fell a lot of it has to do with them being on Flat Rate. They get paid less time on warranty work so they rush and are careless because if it comes back they then get more time to fix the screw up.

Pathetic!!

Richard
Old 05-08-2006, 09:40 PM
frzn pony
1st Gear Member

WOW!!! I guess we have touched on something.Orion_240 hit it right on the head......I fill at a mobil station.I have been going there for years.I spoke with a long time friend who has been a service advisor at a local ford dealer,and was told thatThey have had a few complaints.They have swaped out the tanks and the problem seems to go away,but they dont know why???When I was done at work today I put mine on the hoist and took a look.the filler tube comes down off the 1/4 panel,under the frame rail,then makes a alight up hill....thats right UP then down to the tank.I also noticed that it looks like someone has tried to adjust this.all the vebts run back to the Laek Detection Pump(LDP).On most of the vehicles I have seen there is sometimes a vent tube that runs paralle to the filler tube and enty's back into the filler tube just below the pump nozzle opening.

Quick Reply: Filling the gas tank on my 2005