Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommending BP Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Recommending BP Gas?

Is it actually legal to recommend BP gas in their service books and on the gas tank cap? And for what reason would they? Thats like saying "here at ford, we do all our product testing with BP fuels, so its the best fuel and we set our engine up for it." but how many people only fill at a BP station? they can't possibly say that by using Mobile or Shell, your engine will break quicker. seems kinda strange.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:24 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Recommending BP Gas?

ORIGINAL: Andys06GT

Is it actually legal to recommend BP gas in their service books and on the gas tank cap? And for what reason would they? Thats like saying "here at ford, we do all our product testing with BP fuels, so its the best fuel and we set our engine up for it." but how many people only fill at a BP station? they can't possibly say that by using Mobile or Shell, your engine will break quicker. seems kinda strange.
To me, thats just some kind of advertising strategy, but buy your gas from whomever you choose.
I actually use BP Amoco because my charge card gives me 3% rebates for gas purchases and 1% for all other.
So when my rebate rolls over $20, they send me a 20$ prepaid gas card. Now I'm using that more frequently so I can rack up my rebates and get those gas cards.
Even if you don't use BP Amoco, I would highly recommend getting a charge card from one of those gas companies (i.e. Shell, Chevron, Citgo, etc.) because they offer similar rebate programs with their cards.
$20 may not be a whole lot, but at least its something.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

so you get 3% on all BP purchases? that'd be really nice. wouldnt take that long to get a gas card. especially since i make an 1100 mile round trip ever month or two. not on the stang, of course. that would be painful to the odometer. but such a great ride.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:29 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

It's just advertising they recommend it, they aren't requiring you to use BP. I am sure BP is paying a lot of money for that advertising on all '06 Fords.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:31 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Andys06GT

so you get 3% on all BP purchases? that'd be really nice. wouldnt take that long to get a gas card. especially since i make an 1100 mile round trip ever month or two. not on the stang, of course. that would be painful to the odometer. but such a great ride.
Yup. Anything you buy at a BP or Amoco, you get a 3% rebate for every purchase. But, for everything else that buy (i.e. food, clothes, electronics, goods and services, etc.) its 1%.
I believe that there is a caveat, if you use your charge card at another gas company, then neither the 3% nor 1% will apply.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

I sanded off the BP advertisement, and removed the dealership sticker on the trunk lid.
I told my salesman that 30 second Superbowl ads go for millions...how much is this sticker worth to you and/or your dealership?
He helped me peel it off before mounting my license plate.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:31 PM
wysts43
1st Gear Member

Now why would you want to go and put BP gasoline in your stangs?!? Only Marathon or Speedway gas for this guy!... (The fact that I am an engineer for marathon has nothing to do with my bias, i swear!)
Old 05-08-2006, 04:54 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

It's just advertising they recommend it, they aren't requiring you to use BP. I am sure BP is paying a lot of money for that advertising on all '06 Fords.

that's what I figure too.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:24 PM
puppet
1st Gear Member

Chevron or Quik Trip for my baby, unless you can tell me why their additives AREN'T better than everybody else's.

Not a flame. I have been doing it this way for the last three cars and I would like to know if I am deluded or not.

Anyone but ExxonMobil, untill they start paying me $13,700 per minute. I promise, I will only bill for, like, 5 minutes a year. Well, plus an extra minute to buy the $3 gas.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

is there a website where you can get additive info? ive seen the different levels in oils, and actually seen them froth in cold weather here at kansas. lot of moisture. which brings me to another mute point, synthetic or standard? and the actual effects of that 15k between changes oil. no way under the sun im going 15k on my stang before i change the oil, dont care WHAT kind it is.-

Quick Reply: Recommending BP Gas?