Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LVL OF JUNK AFTER X MILES

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 11:58 AM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: LVL OF JUNK AFTER X MILES

Here is a good read on engine break-in ... I did pretty much the same and went to full synthetic not too long afterwards.

Mototune USA Break-In
Old 05-11-2006, 12:10 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Regardless of saying this method works on all engines, it is more applicable to motorcycles, and I'll probably not be following those recommendations. Basically, it is far easier and less costly to rebuild a motorcycle, snowmobile, or lawnmower than it is a "scattered" V-8. The site was entertaining, but, not on my engine.
JMO
Old 05-11-2006, 12:36 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Engines need break in time. No matter what anyone says. How much? Well, I am still under 500 miles on mine. For the first 250 miles I drove it normally, gave the clutch time to seat, beded in the brakes initially, avoided steady engine speeds on the highway by shifting alot. And gave it the occasional 2nd or third gear blast.

Now, I have like 400 miles on it and I am slowly working it up to my normal driving style. Actually, I have pounded on it a few times already. I believe that it ensures good ring break in.

As far as upgrades are concerned. I want to get used to the car first so I know what I have. Why change something that doesent bother you? I mean at first I was thinking about shocks and sway bars. But now that I have a car with the 18" wheels it really has a nice ride and handles great for a mustang even with the BFG all seasons on it.

The shifter that I was nearly sure I was going to change has broken in nicley and actually feels quite good at this point. Though, grabbing third quickly is still a little slow/questionable for some reason compared to my other cars.

To me, I want to drive it a couple thousand miles, break in the engine, brakes, clutch, etc. See how the car is, THEN turn the engine into a monster.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:26 PM
CDW63
2nd Gear Member

I have about 300 miles on the car, and have driven it fairly easy so far. A couple of 5K run ups, but nothing really hard. My dealer (Ford Rousch dealer) told me to not worry about driving the car hard, don't baby it.

I have always been pretty easy on a new vehicle for the first 500-600 miles, and even though I have revved this car up a couple of times, I will pretty much keep it quiet for a little longer. Also keep in mind, I live in the Phoenix metro area, we will be seeing +115 degree weather soon, even the nights don't cool below 90 degrees in August (hot hot hot), so I do my best even after break in to cool an engine down before parking for the night.

-Craig-
Old 05-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Z16

Why is it cars are recomended to have a soft easy break in, no hard acceleration. If you deal with aircraft engines they tell you to run that thing to the firewall on climb out for the break in period, so I question the wisdom of the automotive engine break in.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:58 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: one_focused_svt

I bought my car with 10 miles on it back in january.....and you can still see the burnout marks i left in the lot [sm=gears.gif]
So did I ... and I will tell you why.. I had two cars same model.. 4 Cly. Hondas..( his and hers) mine I drove like a nut.. the wife drove like a normal person.. long story short.. her car wouldn't get out of its own way after 60 K miles .. mine would eat her car up by 10 car lengths.. both lasted to way over 100 K miles.. never had a problem other than preventative maintenance..

read the owners manual and it will tell you at break in .. to make sure car is not held at the same RPM's for to long.. the fastest cars are always the ones that are broken in hard.. seen it to many times in over 20+ years as a mechanic... and never seen a problem with the cars that where drove hard when new..

EDIT: just thought of something.. many of the auto car guys say they can't spin their tires at a stop.. I could mine when it was stock.. still is for the most part.. just a couple mods only because of lack of money.. just give me time.. lol

Rex
Old 05-11-2006, 04:36 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

I have thrashed on mine since the day I got it. It probably won't last that long but fu*k it. I'm guna have a good time even if it is not for a long time.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:21 PM
puppet
1st Gear Member

My previous cars said to vary the engine speed and keep it below 65 or 55 for the first xxx miles. This car just said vary engine speed. So, it's not like they can deny a warranty claim based on the break in unless you didn't follow their one little rule.

(I suppose they could check the black box and see how fast you went and make some sort of racing/illegal/abuse argument, but one trip to Mexico solves that.)

BTW, Do 06s HAVE black boxes? My 05 Corolla did. F***ing Big Brother.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:30 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

I talked to a friend that knows way too much about engines shortly after getting my GT. Break-in is all about getting the rings to seat against the cylinder walls without allowing glazing which is when oil breaks down, adhere to the cylinder, and prevent further seating. If that happens, the engine will have less power, will burn more oil, and will not last as long.

Glazing happens both at running too fast and allowing too much heat buildup and running too slow and not having enough pressure between the rings and the cylinder walls. So, his advice was to drive normally but just don't let it sit at any one RPM for an extended period of time. The worst thing is to set the cruise control for a long trip. I don't think it's any coincidence that's exactly what the user's manual says too.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

as a matter of fact, i do plan to keep this car. for more than five years. lets say, forever? something to hand down to my crazy son someday. but enough of that, i can squeal the living crap outta my tires with an auto from standstill. even an idling start, gets more than a good chirp. when i first test drove one last january, the dealer took me out, turned tcs off, and said there, punch it. and i know im not the FIRST person he told to do that. or the second, or the third, or probably the forth. but after that, it was given to the owners daughter (45 yrs old, not really daughter) as a demo to tool around in. put 1500 good solid granny driven miles on it. so it had the best of both worlds. not to mention i got free oil changes, and a buncha cash off for her having driven it. still considered new, cause it had an unsigned title. but man, they came down on that freaking window price.

Quick Reply: LVL OF JUNK AFTER X MILES