Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uncomfortable door handle

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 06:16 AM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Uncomfortable door handle

Beestang............ it still has that "hard plastic" where the knee hits !
OMG
Old 05-13-2006, 11:00 AM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

Drive your wife's Durango or keep your hands at 10 and 2. Sorry, but I have to agree with most others. The Mustang is built for speed not comfort. If you want comfort buy a BMW or Lexus.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:07 PM
CarsandCigars
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LEJAY

I remember the bashing you took over "Why ppl don't buy American cars"
Yeah you were one of the guys bashing me. But you know what, if I ran my life based on what people say on the internet, I would be living in a cave.

I was sooooooo pissed that day.... they hurt my baby. And by baby I mean it took 9 months to get. [&:] BTW, yesterday they replaced my entire steering wheel because the tech that destoryed the interior also managed to scratch the aluminum trim on the steering wheel. They hired a new Service manager and he actually cares about, and get this, the customer.

Later

Jay
Old 05-13-2006, 01:15 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

You have great patience. That whole sevice dept needs a housecleaning. How on earth can they be so destructive ? My baby was born yesterday. Juat a 3mo and 2 wk wait. Not bad.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:02 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

You must be some big fellas to be scraping and rubbing your elbows and knees up against the door handles constantly. The only way that happens to me is if I'm sitting too close to the steering wheel.......and my legs and arm are squinched up. Of course, not everyone is the same size........I just know that I don't have this problem with my GT.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:41 PM
AirForceGeorge
1st Gear Member

I love my Mustang either way. I'm sure some of the children here can't stand to hear a complaint about the car. Here's the thing... Why would they go backwards? My '94 Mustang (and to a lesser extent 2000) had a more comfortable interior than this. With all the advances in creature comforts and standards how is that acceptable? Maybe if customers were slightly more demanding you could get more comfort too. It just doesn't quite look right either. A friend of mine and fellow "car guy" loves my car. But the first time he sat in it the first thing he said was "the interior looks cheapy and doesn't match the exterior as far as quality."

Like I've said before the Mustang has always been the common mans muscle car. I don't want or need a luxury car. However, there is a certain minimum quality threshold that needs to be met on a 30k car and its not just me. In every review by every publication I've read on the car, and these were overwhelmingly very positive, the quality of the interior got hit hard. What's funny is that the same can be said about the Durango but I think it's more than comfortable enough. So the standard isn't high. I'm not talking plush leather and heated seats. I'm talking not having a sharp cornered hard piece of plastic right where your knee rests and a hole right where your arm rests. This isn't rocket science or even advanced auto engineering. Really, how much more expensive is soft plastic like they have on the door panel arm rest and in my Durango?

If they wanted to keep the price down especially on the entry level models all Ford had to do was offer an interior upgrade package that included some softer/better quality materials. If some people think that cheap hard plastic is gonna help in making this car a classic then they're mistaken. The feedback/compaints from enthusiast owners is what helps make every successive generation of cars better. Good companies listen to their loyal customers. If everyone just sings the praises of the car it won't be better in 2008 or 2010 or whenever. I've put my faith in Ford not only in buying my 3rd Mustang but also by purchasing its stock. So I'm speaking as an owner and investor as well.

My real purpose was to find a solution though. Anyone have any ideas or know of some products I can use to fill the hole or otherwise improve this? I know like with the right knee/leg issue I'm definitely not the only one with a problem because someone on e-bay is already offering a fix. Can't find anything for the hole in the arm rest though. Some of the more creative/handy people here seem to have good ideas and jimmyrigging capabilites.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:21 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

Mustang Knee pad

I know I need one.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:33 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

I know I need one.
+1

Gotta draw the line though, on installing one on the sub-woofer....

Funny thing is, my boss recently got a new 350Z. First time I sat in it, I immediately noticed it had this pad built in. Thought it was a nice little extra. I'm 6'1", and he is 6'4". Definately a nice creature comfort for the driver with "floppy leg" syndrome.... The one on the Z is kinda molded into the trim piece, and wraps around the edge a bit. Nice....

Mike
Old 05-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I took a non-stop 1300 mile trip in my Mustang. Only stopping for bathroom, gas, and room. The only complaint I had was a stiff neck. Oh, and it was like 20 degrees outside and I was going 70mph+ so it was a switch between turning the heat on.. and then opening the windows to keep me awake. If you're large enough you could rest your arm up on the door near the window? Instead of using the arm rest. Also, I drive with my left hand, which means my right arm normally rests on the center console which is plenty cushion for me.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:52 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

I know I need one.
+1

Gotta draw the line though, on installing one on the sub-woofer....

Funny thing is, my boss recently got a new 350Z. First time I sat in it, I immediately noticed it had this pad built in. Thought it was a nice little extra. I'm 6'1", and he is 6'4". Definately a nice creature comfort for the driver with "floppy leg" syndrome.... The one on the Z is kinda molded into the trim piece, and wraps around the edge a bit. Nice....

Mike
Yeah, nothing on the left side bothers me. I'm 6'4 and my right knee goes right into the console. that pad will be nice.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable door handle