Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change at dealership

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Claytone
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil Change at dealership

Just wondering if my dealer isnt exactly MOD friendly and I take my modded GT in for an oil change am i at risk of them flagging my GT in their computer so as to void future warranty issues?

Plus is there a difference between Kendall Full Syn. and Mobil 1 Full Syn. oil? As far as quality goes?
Old 05-13-2006, 04:40 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Change at dealership

the laws out to protect you. Per say, if you put new wheels on the car, they cant void the engine blowing, you know? or if you put a body kit on, they cant void out the exhaust system from falling out (i dont know lol). You'll be fine, and if you do need warantee work, i'd hope you wouldnt try to get them to work on your modded parts because they'd know by that point anyway lol
Old 05-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Claytone
2nd Gear Member

LOL, Thanks. Yeah I figured it was that way, but just wanted to be sure. DO you think its worth it to take it to the dealership vs. another oil lube service place, i.e. Goodyear/firestone/Jiffylube??
Old 05-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

I think the best idea is to change it yourself. It is stupidly easy to do, and you ensure the oil YOU want goes in the car.. not to mention it is cheaper...
Old 05-13-2006, 08:16 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

If they are truly ****, they might flag your car in the system. Each dealer is sooo different...best thing to do, IMO, is find an SVT authorized dealer, get acquanted with the shop foreman, and then don't be an a$$ about the mods...they see enough cars and a$$holes go through they don't need another but if you are decent they tend to be.

At some point I will post a story about what I went through with my clutch...but that's for another day.

I do my own oil changes, but I was curious so I asked the shop foreman at the local SVT dealer - he said he'd put in pretty much whatever oil I wanted, but he'd have to know in advance if I wanted a specific filter.

FYI, I don't know the diff btw Kendall and Mobil, but I just tried Castrol and will not go back...changed to it about 300 miles before my last time at the track and oil needed to be changed already (viscocity was pretty much shot) after 3000 miles. Mobil 1 has lasted much longer for me (about 5k with 1 track event btw changes).
Old 05-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

how did you find the viscosity was gone? please dont tell me you rubbed it between your uber sensitive fingers... unless there was actually something in the oil, making it feel weird, then its the engines fault, not the oil.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Anyone here try royal purple? Its easily available where I live and pretty cheap. On the dealer is I would just change my own oil.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:41 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

A big NO on Jiffylube...

oil.. yes there is a difference between them.. I like Castol myself. because it fixed a old car I had years ago. ( small rod knock in AM when cold ) but that is just me.. everyone likes there own brand of oil and will swear by it...!!!

but when I due have to due my first oil change I am going full Syn. OIL all the way..

Dealers.. they don't care what you have done to your car.. I have worked at car dealers for over 20+ years.. seen about everything.. lol
some people done good mods .. some people .. well we won't even go there.. ROFLMAO about that ...

I would change my own oil if I was you.. that way you know it is done right and not by a $5.00 a hour guy that just works their until he can get a better job.. ( I am talking about the guy that changes oil all day long) not much fun in that..
not a slam if some of you have a job as that .. because I have seen dealerships .. take oil change guys and turn/train them into good mechanics..

Rex
Old 05-13-2006, 11:59 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

YOU CAN ALWAYS TAKE YOUR OWN CHOICE OF OIL, and let them change it. They even give you a $3 - $8 deduct.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:22 AM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

No I just do a flow test for viscocity...obviously a shear test would be better but I don't have access to the equipement to do that.

Quick Reply: Oil Change at dealership