Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my clutch exploded…

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 02:55 AM
RazorX

Default I think my clutch exploded…

Yeah, that’s right; I said I think it exploded.

I was on my way to get my first dyno run and my car broke before I made it to the shop. I drove 1 ½ hours and was only about 15 minutes from the shop when it happened.

Here’s my story [warning; it is a tad long]…
My buddy and I were driving down the highway in our cars this morning on the way to the shop to do some dyno pulls. Along the way my clutch started feeling a little stiff each time I depressed the pedal. It continued to feel stiffer each time I depressed it but nothing bad enough to make me expect what was about to happen.

Ultimately, I depressed the clutch pedal and tried to downshift into third but it wouldn’t go into gear and made a grinding noise. I didn’t try to force it and waited a second to try again. Same thing so I tried to go back into forth. I couldn’t get it to go into forth either. Now I’m starting to get a little concerned and shifted into fifth (wasn’t easy) and let the clutch back out. It felt extremely stiff when I let the pedal out and I heard something hit the road and bounce up and hit the bottom of the car (kind of like when gravel or something small and hard bounces up and hits the underside of your car).

I tried to push the clutch pedal in after this but it is extremely stiff and the RPM’s didn’t drop at all when the pedal was on the floor. Great!

At this point I’m thinking the linkage broke and fell off. I figured that could explain why it was getting stiffer (as it was loosening/breaking) and the sound of parts falling off.

Miraculously, I actually made it to the shop we were scheduled to get the dyno pulls done at but it wasn’t easy. It was an adventure getting the car into forth gear without a clutch and through one traffic light (thank God that was all) without having to stop.

We jacked the car up to take took a look when I got to the shop. We discovered a hole in the bell housing where something left at a very high rate of speed. The guy that runs the shop (Jeff) said he believes the clutch exploded and blew something out that new hole I have in my bell housing. This wasn’t what I was expecting to find.

I called Ford’s roadside assistance and asked for a flatbed to come get me. They were there in about 20 minutes to take me to the nearest Ford dealership (Eastgate Ford in Dayton, OH).

So I drive 1 ½ hours to do some dyno pulls and see what my car is putting down before doing any big mods and the clutch/transmission breaks...on the highway of all places. I didn’t even get to see what the car is putting down. At least my buddy was able to do his dyno runs. His best pull was 351 rwhp and 361 lb/ft torque on his bone stock ’05 GTO. Thankfully, he was there to give me a ride back home.

At this point I’m wondering how in the world this could have happened and if this will be covered under warranty. My car is very lightly modified and I really do not believe any of my mods could have caused/contributed to this failure but I’m thinking this will be an expensive repair and they may try to say my CAI, non-stock tune, lowered suspension, or the 4.30 gear caused this to happen. The guy that owns the shop I was heading for knows some people in the service department and is working with them to try to ensure they cover this under warranty but he obviously doesn’t have control of the situation.

Sorry for the long post but I’m curious to hear your thoughts on all of this. Any ideas on what could have caused this? What my likelihood of warranty problems will be? Eastgate Ford? Anything else?
Old 05-14-2006, 03:21 AM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: I think my clutch exploded…

WOW !!!! I'm shorta breath reading that post.
You didn't abuse that 'Stang in anyway, did you ?
Did you put on any "mods" that might void the warranty ?

At the risk of being banished.......

I must say :

You think you know more than FORD Engineering.
You trust all aftermarket products to enhance your performance
You are obliged to feel no matter what you do.... FORD / warranty should cover it.
You read your OM concerning mods and decided,..... p*** on that
You, and your buddies, feel you are the smartest "speedracers" on earth.

FIX your own clutch, obviously, you BROKE it.

JMO
Old 05-14-2006, 03:52 AM
DStang05
2nd Gear Member

Another helpful response Lejay.
Those mods are no different from anyone else mods. CAI is fuel and air mixture.no bearing on the clutch. Same with suspension mods. 4.30 gear and some hard driving, possible. Could be a defect clutch or bad assembly. Their has been a number a problems with the new mustangs,such as front strut tower assembly. Defect gas tanks. You may have discovered a clutch problem. Ford not big on advertising the problems on the new mustangs. When my front struts had to be rebuild they had a replace kit already at the dealer. So they knew about that problem about didn't call it a recall. I just bought it in for some popping noise. Same with my problem filling my gas tank and I needed a new gas tank.

Good luck with Dealer
Old 05-14-2006, 03:52 AM
Lone_Star_Stang
1st Gear Member

A clutch shooting pieces through the bell housing, regardless of any mods, should not happen on the highway under normal driving conditions.

Period.

Now if he said "so me and my buddy were doing 5000 clutch drops and hitting the brakes for some leet burnouts and then my clutch exploded" -- well yes, then I'd say he's liable.

Likely, you will not get the situation covered under warranty. They will point at the gears alone as the contributing factor, even though they may or may not have had anything to do with it. A clutch failure under normal driving conditions should not lead into a catastrophic driveline failure, ie pieces breaking the bell housing.

You could argue that you can cover the cost of a replacement, but the bell housing should be covered under warranty as, like I said before, a clutch failure under normal driving conditions should not result in a hole in the bell housing, ever. If they refuse it, try to meet them half way and explain your position.

Actually, how the heck does a piece of clutch plate put a hole in the bell housing in the first place, I can't see it being dense enough? Maybe a piece of pressure plate? Should be interesting opening the thing up for a looksie.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:10 AM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Thanks for the advice,..

As far as holes in the housing, I plan to wrap and patch them, with my $39 dashkit.

EASY lil boy, U R outta ur league, didn't u discover that yesterday ?

JMO

Old 05-14-2006, 04:18 AM
Lone_Star_Stang
1st Gear Member

Right.....
Old 05-14-2006, 04:19 AM
DStang05
2nd Gear Member

Still bleeding green and yellow John Deer.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:22 AM
DStang05
2nd Gear Member

Hey, I have a Jeff Foxworthy CD Box for $39.00
Old 05-14-2006, 11:15 AM
RazorX

ORIGINAL: LEJAY

WOW !!!! I'm shorta breath reading that post.
You didn't abuse that 'Stang in anyway, did you ?
Did you put on any "mods" that might void the warranty ?

At the risk of being banished.......

I must say :

You think you know more than FORD Engineering.
You trust all aftermarket products to enhance your performance
You are obliged to feel no matter what you do.... FORD / warranty should cover it.
You read your OM concerning mods and decided,..... p*** on that
You, and your buddies, feel you are the smartest "speedracers" on earth.

FIX your own clutch, obviously, you BROKE it.

JMO
LOL - I started to get angry when I first read this post thinking you were serious and/or actually believed everything you typed but then I read through some of the other posts and went back through to see what some of those comments were all about. I see from your other posts that this is a typical post for you and should be taken with a grain of salt and appreciated for the comedic value. You can actually be pretty witty at times. This was actually one of your weaker posts though and I somehow feel I got gypped. Perhaps you were tired with all of the battling you have bee doing the last few days. Get some rest and I’m sure you will back at the top of your game soon.

Oh, and I'm sorry for your shortness of breath. Perhaps you should start an exercise program to improve the cardio. Do you smoke? That could also be a contributor. I did warn you at the beginning though so you only have yourself to blame. Another thought would be to not actually read the post out loud in the future. That should prevent you from getting winded.

BTW, What part of OH are you from?

ORIGINAL: Lone_Star_Stang

A clutch shooting pieces through the bell housing, regardless of any mods, should not happen on the highway under normal driving conditions.

Period.

Now if he said "so me and my buddy were doing 5000 clutch drops and hitting the brakes for some leet burnouts and then my clutch exploded" -- well yes, then I'd say he's liable.

Likely, you will not get the situation covered under warranty. They will point at the gears alone as the contributing factor, even though they may or may not have had anything to do with it. A clutch failure under normal driving conditions should not lead into a catastrophic driveline failure, ie pieces breaking the bell housing.

You could argue that you can cover the cost of a replacement, but the bell housing should be covered under warranty as, like I said before, a clutch failure under normal driving conditions should not result in a hole in the bell housing, ever. If they refuse it, try to meet them half way and explain your position.

Actually, how the heck does a piece of clutch plate put a hole in the bell housing in the first place, I can't see it being dense enough? Maybe a piece of pressure plate? Should be interesting opening the thing up for a looksie.
I will post a follow-up once the verdict is in.

Edited to fix a broken quote tag...
Old 05-14-2006, 11:24 AM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

That happened in my 96 Cobra. It started vibrating pretty bad, then BOOM when I stepped on the gas.....and man, it was LOUD! Sounded like someone had run into me. That was my first clue something really bad had happened. Luckily I had no damage to my bellhousing though.

Quick Reply: I think my clutch exploded…