Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Aftermarket Axle-Backs decrease HP?

Old 05-15-2006, 12:54 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Default Do Aftermarket Axle-Backs decrease HP?

I have read several threads that seem to imply that adding axle-back exhausts to the 2005+ Mustangs may actually decrease HP (not much) from stock?. Am i correct in assuming this is true?

Thanks to all for any feedback - I would like to do an axle-back on my 2006 GT and was wondering about this question. - It's expensive (for me) and I can do without the sound if I have to.

What do you all think about the stock GT sound?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:28 PM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Do Aftermarket Axle-Backs decrease HP?

I can't tell you one way or the other about the increase/decrease in power from the axle-back. I wouldn't think it would decrease power unless it added additional back pressure/restriction to the system.

I really like the sound of the stock GT. But with that said, I would like for it to be just a tad louder and deeper. I haven't purchased anything yet as I don't want to make this decision based on internet clips and would like to hear a few in person. However, I am leaning toward the FRPP system.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:55 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Agreed, the stock sound is pretty good, I probably should have gone flowmaster for a slight increase in sound with better looking tips but for the money there had to be "more" so I went with the MAC's and got more than I could have expected sound wise.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:04 PM
linernotejunky
2nd Gear Member

i went borla for deeper sound with some kick *** tips. havent notice any decrease in power.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:22 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I think with the added sound your brain will compensate if there are any losses because it will sound faster. Mine would any how..
Old 05-15-2006, 05:27 PM
miketx
1st Gear Member

If anything you'll lose a little low end torque. I wouldn't bet on horsepower loss though.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:44 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

^^^^^ what he just said.

Larger diameter/less restrictive pipes in a axle-back system result in a slight decrease in torque, but not HP.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:31 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: W1ldcat

I think with the added sound your brain will compensate if there are any losses because it will sound faster. Mine would any how..

lol that is ricer mentality. haha.

seems like for the mustang, more than any other car, there is SO MUCH DEBATE over what exhaust to get. i for myself cant friggin decide. i want the flowmaster sound, but its too quiet. and i dont know how slp loudmouths in person, i also want it loud inside the car.

ugh.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

hmmm. if it lost anything, it wont be over a couple horse/lbs of trq. i.e. if you can actually FEEL the difference without any electronics reading it (dyno, pocketdiagnostics) then i want you to set up my car by just FEEL. screw the dyno, i dont need that if i got a guy who can FEEL 5 hp's being lost. point of the story? if there's anything, you're not gonna know just by driving down the road. its a 300hp rated car. and you dont even have 300 going to the ground. betcha dont even know whats going to the ground, so ya dont know what you're losing/gaining. get what ya like, sounds good, afford. but dont worry about "losing" power. unless they say "the system leeches 57 hp more than any other system!" then be scared....
Old 05-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

I think the stock exhaust sounds good. Better than I expected.

I read on another thread that stock GT 5-speed and stock GT auto-tranny mufflers have different part numbers. Is the stock 5-speed louder than the stock auto?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do Aftermarket Axle-Backs decrease HP?