Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Gurus 2: Tire Fitment Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:42 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Wheel Gurus 2: Tire Fitment Suggestions

335/30zr18 for the rear and something along the lines of 275/40/18 for the front. Thats what Id put on there, it wouold look mean as hell and handle like nobodies business. As for how tire sizing works, as it seems most people on here are just guessing. The first number is the width of the tire in millimeters, depending on the manufacturer of the tire its either measured form the sidewall or the actual tread. The second number is called the aspect ratio, its a percentage of the width (its NEVER accurate) so on a 335/30 the height should be 30% of 335mm. Hope this helps. ^^ go with that size you wont regret it. Those are actually fairly common sizes as the c-4,c5 vettes used em so the price shouldnt be all that bad.
-P.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:51 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I thought stock 18's were 8.5 wide. Mine are..
Old 05-17-2006, 10:01 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: W1ldcat

I thought stock 18's were 8.5 wide. Mine are..
They are. I'm buying aftermarket FR500 replicas. They're 9" wide. I am keeping the fronts as-is (9") and then I am having the rears custom modified to be 10 3/8" wide.

ORIGINAL: P Zero

335/30zr18 for the rear and something along the lines of 275/40/18 for the front. Thats what Id put on there, it wouold look mean as hell and handle like nobodies business. As for how tire sizing works, as it seems most people on here are just guessing. The first number is the width of the tire in millimeters, depending on the manufacturer of the tire its either measured form the sidewall or the actual tread. The second number is called the aspect ratio, its a percentage of the width (its NEVER accurate) so on a 335/30 the height should 30% of 335mm. Hope this helps. ^^ go with that size you wont regret it. Those are actually fairly common sizes as the c-4,c5 vettes used em so the price shouldnt be all that bad.
Wow, a 335 would be bad ***. A couple of questions though; I looked up the specs and these are only 25.9" diameter. That's about an inch less than stock. Any problems?

Also, aren't those too wide for a 10.5 inch wide wheel? The manufacturer's specs seem to be for a 12" wide wheel minimum. I know there is some flexibility in fitment, but that seems like much too much. I don't think that these will fit. By my calculations, a properly fitted tire on the 10 3/8" rim will leave me 1/2 inch of free clearance, worst case, on my rear suspension. That is a good comfort zone for me. I can't go any wider, otherwise the inner edge of the tire will come too close to the shock and LCA.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:20 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

I used to be a tire buster long ago, and when we got vettes in there I did em cuz everybody else was a retard and messed up the rims. Anyway, the vettes had I believe a 9" front and a 10" rear. The ONLY wider rim that I had worked on was a rear viper rim which was 13" I believe it took a 355. Only worked on 1 viper so I could be off on the tire size. As for the effect itll have on your car, your speedo will be off ever so slightly, less than 5mph, your car WILL handle better I guarantee it, youll probably wanna brace it up so you dont bend it - the car. And the ride will be a little bit rougher, but that also depends on the PSI you have in em. For cruisin Id say run your fronts @ 38-40 (with the 275/40) and rears @ 32-33 ( 335/30). For performance driving (not drag racing), run fronts @ 42-44 (dpendent on max inflation of the tire) and rears @ 37,38. If you drive anything like I do youll want the performance infaltion, so the tire doesnt fold under itself. It looks crazy when they do, it looks like you just rubbed the hell outta a curb. If its gonna rub then dont do it, as it will destroy an expensive tire.
What you could do though, is go to a tire shop and tell them you want to try and fit this particular tire on your car. Ask em if they could order em and check for fitment, without you being commited to buying the tires - youll still have to pay mounting charges. If they do go for that deal, be sure to ask them to order a 295 or whatever is the "appropriate" tire size is for the rim, so incase the 335's dont fit youll still walk away with some tire on your ride. Call around and find out.
-P.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:53 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I didn't know you could widen a rim. Where is that done and how much? That would be sure a trick I would think..
Old 05-17-2006, 11:03 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Put wheel on a lathe. Part off one edge of the wheel. Insert a spacer, weld the parts together.

It takes a good machinist and a good welder, but it can be done.

Here's an example: http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/

Cost depends on the diameter of the wheel, condition, amount of widening, etc. Likewise, you can also have wheels narrowed.