Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reason for bp recommendation on gas tank...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:41 AM
b_hollier
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: reason for bp recommendation on gas tank...

I happen to be one of the engineers working with BP on BP's largest production facility. It is called Thunderhorse. I was also one of the startup engineers on one of their other very large production facilities, Holstein. Both of these are both located in the Gulf Of Mexico. BP has a plan in placed to set at least one structure a year for the next 10 years. They are very interested in the US for oil. Their oil income from the North Sea (England) has been in decline for the past 5 years. BP has no plan to set any new facilities in the North Sea because of this. And to add a note about the BP name on the gas cap has a lot to do with BP's and Ford's partnership in the automotive industry.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:16 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

It's all about the money.

By the way ARCO is BP I saw that the other day when at a ARCO station. It said right on the Gas Pump ARCO is part of BP Fuels.

Richard
Old 05-18-2006, 01:56 AM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

I kinda figured they had some sort of partnership when I saw a BP commercial last night and they kept showing a Mustang going into one of their gas stations. I really don't mind having the BP logo in the gas cap, I only put BP/Amoco gas in my car anyways!
Old 05-18-2006, 02:06 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Andys06GT

ah ha. talked to a dealership today, and they said the reason FORD endorses BP fuels as their recommended diet was the fact that bp uses american drilled oil. exclusivly. which seems kinda odd to a guy cause bp stand for "british petroleum" right? so why would british gas use american oil, when a majority of import oil in england isnt american drilled....
Actually, just to let ya know, BP stands for BEYOND PETROLEUM, not BRITISH PETROLEUM. They changed it about... 2 years ago now.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:02 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I use nothing but BP. It's a mile from my house and about the cheapest.. That's about the only reason though is convience.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:24 AM
5 speed GT

Actually, I have a better reason for you. BP gas used to be called Amoco or American Oil. When it comes from the refinerys in the Gulf to the tank farms in Greensboro, NC where I used to live which services the east coast, it is sent through a pipeline. All gas, Exxon, Mobil, Sleazy Joes, etc comes up the pipe as one. There is no difference in their gas. When it gets there, good brands such as Exxon, add additives of a higher quality then some of the cheap gas. BP however, is sent seperately. Air is put in the pipe to seperate the loads. BP utimate, also known as white gas, is the purest you can get and the best for your engine. I knew a chemist at the tank farms who gave me the information.

Also, and doesnt help any more cause regular leaded is gone, but, You could mix the white gas with Mobil leaded regular 70/30 and it increased the octane to 100 from 93. Used to do this in my dirt bikes. There was definitely a difference.

All gas is not the same and BP is the best. Expecially the Ultimate, it has no equal. That is why the pump handle has the clear glass with the 3 little ***** in it that move around when you are pumping; the gas is absolutely clear running through the nozzle.