Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide my next mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 02:31 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default Help me decide my next mod

I have about $500 bucks to spend on the GT so I can only do 1 of the 3.
I might have enough to do the next mod at the end of summer and the third will happen next summer. I know gears will give me a SOTP change, exhaust for sound, and tires for marginal handling benefits. I don't like having the bark without the bite but the stock PZNs and the exhaust are kinda weak.
What should I do first?
Current mods in sig
Old 05-18-2006, 04:51 AM
IEATSRT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Help me decide my next mod

if you have the stock pirelli's i wouldn't worry about tires for a while, there a decent all season tire. you'll probably find you'll want to change your rims if you change the tires and your not going to get into that for $500. 4:10's would be your next option but with your cai and tune your going to have traction problems if you don't upgrade to wider tires. also don't know if your doing the gear swap yourself but if not you'll definately be over $500 after purchase of gears and install. if you haven't installed gears before i'd recommend getting a dealer to do it for you. so that leaves you with only one option which YOU WILL NOT REGRET. go with slp loudmouth axlebacks... you'll love them. i've seen few who have them who have regretted them. one of my favorite mods i've done so far!
Old 05-18-2006, 05:09 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Thanks IEATSRT,
yeah the $500 would not be enough for the gear install, two Ford dealers have quoted me $800-1100 for the install but a performance shop nearby quoted around $600. I agree with you about the tire issue after the 4:10s and maybe only upgrading to a 255 wide tire will not really help out too much.

Any other opinions???
Old 05-18-2006, 05:27 AM
IEATSRT
1st Gear Member

underdrive pulleys aren't too expensive and not difficult to install, should give you around 10 rwhp. possibley electric water pump but i'm not sure on pricing, don't think it is over $500.00 though. p.s - nice car!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:01 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I bet you can get gears for about 600 installed if you shop. I understand wanting Ford to do them though. Pullies are $250 and that's something you can do or have done..
Old 05-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Electric water pump is ~$300
Old 05-18-2006, 11:42 AM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

With $500 you could get the SLP LM's and a Hurst shifter. Then you could have 2 mods for your money.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:15 PM
EJD05GT
2nd Gear Member

I say exhaust.
-E

ORIGINAL: UrS4

I have about $500 bucks to spend on the GT so I can only do 1 of the 3.
I might have enough to do the next mod at the end of summer and the third will happen next summer. I know gears will give me a SOTP change, exhaust for sound, and tires for marginal handling benefits. I don't like having the bark without the bite but the stock PZNs and the exhaust are kinda weak.
What should I do first?
Current mods in sig
Old 05-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Patience?!?

You can definitely get gears installed for 600 ... it should actually be less ... mine was only 200 ... by a reputable guy suggested by performance shops in KC. As for tires because of the gears ... yes and no ... i do move sideways a bit in second ... and in first you will move sideways if you dump the clutch from higher RPM ... but, it doesn't spin everytime you start off (it won't at all if you don't romp on it from the start). So i say tires are not needed that much with the 4.10s. Gears are now like 220 (FRPP 4.10 A option, used to be less before the A option ... i don't know the difference on the old before the A ... so whatever) ... Anyways ... gears all the way if you want performance.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:49 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

So it looks like the stock PZNs are fine with 4:10s. I would like a Ford dealer to install them but they want to charge close to a $1000 and could do it tomorrow. I shopped around and found a shop to do it for around $500 but they are booked for the next 8 weeks which makes sense due to the install price. I don't have the equipment or the knowhow to do the install the gears or pullies myself so labor costs need to be factored in. I really like the look of the Hurst shifter but the install price would make it a no go. The exhaust is easy so I can do that. Maybe with the left over I can get some tint or save it for the gears.

any other suggestions or votes on which way to go?

Quick Reply: Help me decide my next mod