Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Install Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Outatime
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Official Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Install Thread!

My main stumbling blocks whilst adding this unit was the Sirius unit not working and the illumination wire. I had a bad Sirius box unfortunately which I got off eBay for $20 so I dumped it in the trash and went and bought a new one and that's great although it did concern me for a bit. The illumination wire was a pain and I don't know if you would know about this unless I told you as I read everything everywhere and nothing was said about this.

On your Z1 you need to connect a Illumination wire up which goes +12v when its on and 0v when its off...something like that...anyway when its on your screen darkens at night and when its off its light for driving about in the day time. I wired up the cable from the dimmer from the car harness to the new Z1 harness because it was the same color and the only wire left on the harness to wire up but that didn't work for illumination I had to make an extra wire from the headlight switch to the Illumination wire on the Z1 harness and that then worked perfectly.

On the images below is the headlight switch popped out and I added the flash headlight circuit to it and also crimped off for the illumination cable that went to the Z1.

Hope that helps.

Stuart

[IMG]local://upfiles/19424/3912AFB9A4654E53917760A2221354D2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19424/68AFF81A030046E882AFC48B41F9884C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-22-2006, 07:49 PM
kcary
2nd Gear Member

Where do you have the rear view camera mounted at? I was thinking about adding that to mine at some point, but the system alone costs enough for me for now. I was wanting to get it in a concealed place anyways such as hidden where the keyhole is now, but like you said that would require a different camera and a bit of work.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Outatime
2nd Gear Member

VSS Image

[IMG]local://upfiles/19424/D44726409FD646FBBE0D38E2B5EC31BB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Outatime
2nd Gear Member

Hello Kcary

Mine is mounted on area of the licence plate, I decided to go with this area because of there is a small hide which happens to be the same size diameter of the camera cable so I cut off the end of the cable, fed the cable though, mounted the camera and resoldered the end of the cable back on with the connector (only a few wires so it wasn't hard). I will see how it goes, would have liked to use the lock hole but the camera wouldn't fit and I wasn't sure I wanted to lose the lock to be honest with you

Thank you

Stuart

ORIGINAL: kcary

Where do you have the rear view camera mounted at? I was thinking about adding that to mine at some point, but the system alone costs enough for me for now. I was wanting to get it in a concealed place anyways such as hidden where the keyhole is now, but like you said that would require a different camera and a bit of work.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19424/6FDC110A28E14A1EBEDE315D2012870B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19424/799D38DB6D104CA28DF5E42AB37122A5.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-23-2006, 01:52 AM
jwilder

Great work! About that rear-view camera... is there away to get the image left/right correct, or is it reversed?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:56 AM
gkosin
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your information. It is helping me make better decisions on the installation in the near future.
Greg
Old 05-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Outatime
2nd Gear Member

Hi, not 100% sure but its just reversed from what I can make out. Don't think it can be changed.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:37 AM
jakeoooh

Thanks for all the info so far, I think that all my equip. should be here by this weekend and I'll be able to start this install... The link to that other image gallery was a great help, I see where the speed sensor is now- so according to the instructions, you take their little connector and connect it to that wire, running the other end back into the car? I just want to make sure that I understand that correctly- don't want to start destroying wires that don't need to be destroyed... Also, what is the process for pulling out the factory stereo on the mustang? Are there a set of screws you have to get to, or does the head unit pop out?
Old 05-23-2006, 07:37 PM
jakeoooh

Thanks for all the info so far, I actually received my wiring harness, etc. today from crutchfield, and it included instructions on ripping apart the dash- so no worries there... Does anybody have a picture of at which point they attached the voltage regulator? I'm going to have someone at my office solder it on for me, and it would be nice if I could show them what it's supposed to look like.

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2006, 02:08 AM
Outatime
2nd Gear Member

Hi Jake

You got it, just crimp it and run to your Z1.

The following pdf file should help you remove the radio

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/6...adioremove.pdf

Also here are some more pdf's that might help you:

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/64040/inttrim.pdf

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/64040/ceterpanel.pdf

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/64040/console.pdf

Thanks

Stuart

ORIGINAL: jakeoooh

Thanks for all the info so far, I think that all my equip. should be here by this weekend and I'll be able to start this install... The link to that other image gallery was a great help, I see where the speed sensor is now- so according to the instructions, you take their little connector and connect it to that wire, running the other end back into the car? I just want to make sure that I understand that correctly- don't want to start destroying wires that don't need to be destroyed... Also, what is the process for pulling out the factory stereo on the mustang? Are there a set of screws you have to get to, or does the head unit pop out?

Quick Reply: Official Pioneer AVIC-Z1 Install Thread!