Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your rear axle centered? I bet its not!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Is your rear axle centered? I bet its not!

I just eyeballed mine and the driver side tire is out just slightly more than the passenger side. Wish you never said anything, now it's going to bother me!
Old 05-20-2006, 10:37 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Well, a couple guys are saying 1/4" and 3/8" outward more on drivers side. Can you measure with a plumb bob (can get one for about $5 at hardware store)? You may be showing the same as the other folks who have measured. Maybe this is where nearly all OE are at. ...and should be?????
Old 05-20-2006, 11:03 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

That's why I'm wondering if it should be kept there and it's nessary. Or did just call it close enough?
Old 05-20-2006, 11:07 PM
RStone13
1st Gear Member

I measured my stock rear end about a month ago. I can't remember now but one side was about 1/4 or 3/8 different from the other. I did use a plum bob. I also was wondering as you if I should keep that difference or center. If you find the answer please post.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:23 AM
bushbanger
2nd Gear Member

I did not check mine before I put the rear roush springs on but after I installed them I checked with plum bob ...driver side was @ 1/2 " and pass side was a little less than 9/16....close enough for me no panhard installed
Old 05-21-2006, 12:43 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

just guessing, but perhaps the axle gets closer to center as suspension compresses to maintain tire clearance...thath the bad thing about panhard rod, axle has to move as suspension travels due to the arc it swings...there is an option- they make a double ended thing with linkage in the middle so center pivot always stays centered- but more complex, more cost...
Old 05-21-2006, 01:08 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ford4v429

just guessing, but perhaps the axle gets closer to center as suspension compresses to maintain tire clearance...thath the bad thing about panhard rod, axle has to move as suspension travels due to the arc it swings...there is an option- they make a double ended thing with linkage in the middle so center pivot always stays centered- but more complex, more cost...
That's a watts link...
http://go.mrgasket.com/newproducts/f...NPLakewood.pdf

The theory about it reaching center under compression makes perfect sense too.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:41 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

The BMR instructions say to be same to within an 1/8. ...hard to measure more accuarate than that anyway. The thing is if one side is different by 1/4 as some have mentioned here, that means you'd move 1/8 to center it. ...pretty close it seems. I'm thinking that now that I've driven on the ProKit coils for a while. I may swap back in the OE panhard; measure... if close, run for a week, measure again. If no more than 1/4 leave OE bar in there.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

Glad to see it's not just my car thats off. And I did use a real plumb bob, but I dont see why any heavy weight on a string wouldn't do. My dealer said he'd put in the springs, control arms and panbar for $250 and that includes an alignment. That night be the way to go. Im curious tho, does anyone have a car that the rear is centered perfectly from the factory?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:09 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

The shape of the plumb bob with the point that you can see and use to just make contact with the ground as it stabalizes is just better than most objects. ...not that ya can't use a weight on a string to measure with decent accuracy; for how cheap they are it's just worth "using the right tool for the job".

Quick Reply: Is your rear axle centered? I bet its not!