Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are our V6s so under powered??

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 07:12 PM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Why are our V6s so under powered??

ORIGINAL: davemurray

My wrx 2.0 has more hp than my mustang 5.0 stock vs stock.
But we are talking about 80's engineering. It's true most american cars are underpowered these days...
Mustang V-6, 19-20K 4.0 L Normally Aspirated 210hp @ 5250rpm / 240ft-lbs @ 3500rpm
Impreza WRX TR 24K 230-hp 2.5-liter DOHC intercooled, turbocharged boxer engine 235 lb-ft of torque at 3,600 rpm

Looks like the Impreza WRX is down on the torque

Again Torque is what determines how fast you will accelerate. HP determines how fast you'll go.

A lot of the higher HP engines, are light on the torque.

How often will you "max out" on the street? - HP
How often will you accelerate? - Torque
Old 06-05-2006, 05:17 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: olym4gery

ORIGINAL: davemurray

My wrx 2.0 has more hp than my mustang 5.0 stock vs stock.
But we are talking about 80's engineering. It's true most american cars are underpowered these days...
Mustang V-6, 19-20K 4.0 L Normally Aspirated 210hp @ 5250rpm / 240ft-lbs @ 3500rpm
Impreza WRX TR 24K 230-hp 2.5-liter DOHC intercooled, turbocharged boxer engine 235 lb-ft of torque at 3,600 rpm

Looks like the Impreza WRX is down on the torque

Again Torque is what determines how fast you will accelerate. HP determines how fast you'll go.

A lot of the higher HP engines, are light on the torque.

How often will you "max out" on the street? - HP
How often will you accelerate? - Torque
You quoted numbers for the 06 WRX, which is a 2.5 litre, he had a 2.0 litre which is 02-05 WRX. Your numbers are actually high.

Torque *does* get you up to speed, but when you are putting the power down with 4 wheels, you get a better launch than with just 2 wheels...
Old 09-04-2006, 01:58 AM
warstory26
1st Gear Member

the point is HP is like sex even if you get alot you always want more.....
Old 09-04-2006, 02:14 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

My V6 cost me $19,800 .... A guy at work just bought a GT ... Cost him $27,000 .... I have installed about $1,000 in mods ... both appearance and performance ... Guess who's car gets the most compliments at work and most turned heads while driving down the road? ... and still has an extra $6,000 in their pocket? Everyone says I should have gotten the GT ... but then I would still have sunk more money into mods to make my Mustang unique ... what's the sense?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:17 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

warstory26 Date 9/3/2006 11:58:39 PM
the point is HP is like sex even if you get alot you always want more.....
How many pages did you have to go back to find this three month old post???
Old 09-04-2006, 02:45 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

+1
Besides did anyone bother to notice on the original post that the Lexus being quoted(GS450h) is a V-8 powered hybrid???????
Just the facts ma'mm......Anyway the 4.0L Cologne V-6 will disappear soon.. the new Duratec 3.5L V-6 will replace it...meeting
emissions being the main reason...it'll probably have 240-260hp, but by then the stock GT will be around 325 or so..big enough
gap for GT owners not to cry foul...yes this IS an old thread.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:08 AM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

i will tell you exactly why, not sure if this has been said already.

to provide some distance between the V6 and the GT. if the 6er was 260-270 hp, why get the GT? it's all about sales.
I am not going to read 3 or 4 pages .. but AmericanMuscle4.6GT is correct..!!! if Ford wanted more HP out of the V-6,you don't think they could get it..?? wake up people.. they can get as much HP as they want.. ( with in reason, I am sure they could get 400HP if they REALLY wanted it....!!! )

bottom line.. will you pay the price for that extra HP .???? and what about your insurance company.. they have a say in there also, will you pay them also for that extra HP..?? put a S/C on it if you want more HP out of your V-6...!!!! or buy a GT .. only 1 MPG difference last I looked.. and the price was not THAT much higher.. plus you have a V-8 and that sound..

EDIT: you can't knock the Lexus.. ever driven one..?? HONEST..!!! they make a very nice car for what it is.. smooth as glass when you drive it, corners very good.. fair gas milage.. nice stereo.. nice everything.. it is not a muscle car.. it is a car to drive around..

then lets talk trade in.. what are our cars worth on that..?? now how about a Honda, Toyota, Acura, etc...?? check EBAY and you will see what I mean...

I bought my GT knowing that I was going to take a BIG hit on the trade in.. so what..!!! I got the car I wanted... and I smile EVERYTIME I drive it...!!!

end of rant...!!!

JMO and only that...

Rex
Old 09-04-2006, 06:47 PM
turtlevette

I'm really flip flopping back and foth about whether to get a V6 or V8. Looks like i'm gonna wait til spring as the dealers just aren't coming down enough on the 06 to justify rushing into a purchase.

The wife ain't gonna let me race her car so i don't see paying another 3-5k for the V8.

She said i can have the car for running road courses when she's done with it.

I figure i could put a supercharger on the 6 or drop a V8 in it at that time.

Ok, here's where i **** you guys off. I could drop an LS-2 in it if i want to make REAL power.

But one thing is clear already. I'll be another stepchild around here if i do go with the 6.[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 09-05-2006, 09:05 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

My gosh! Todays Mustang V6 makes more horsepower than my 85 Mustang GT.

Yes, they could easily cam it up and do some things to move the torque peak to a higher RPM like the 4.6. By doing this, however, the engine would lose its lower RPM torque and make the car feel like a slug unless you drove it like you're mad at it.

I think that you are too hung up on paper figures and just want to see that your car has a higher horsepower number than your buddies Japanes car.

As far as I'm concerned, all these high horsepower figures that are achieved on modern cars are a big problem that is put on us by the marketing departments. They want to be able to print a high horsepower figure in the brochure. The reason this works for them is that there are too many people that are ignorant about what horsepower really means. Sure a higher horsepower car, everything else being equal, can outrun a lower horsepower car in a race. But a car with a lower horsepower figure, but with a good torque figure at a lower peak RPM will be MUCH MORE FUN TO DRIVE.

Case in point. My 85 Mustang GT only had 210 horsepower as opposed to my 06 GT's 300 horsepower. The 85, however, had a good torque peak at a much lower RPM. That thing would just push your body against the seat during acceleration, making it much more fun to drive.

The current V6 mustang is a great running engine and in some ways is more fun to drive than the GT. I even heard from a Ford tech when the S197 first came out, that the V6 was making the V8 look bad and that Ford restricted the exhaust in the V6 to remedy this. If this is true, then opening up the exhaust on the V6 should give you a fun to drive car.