Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well does the 05/06 GT handle snow/ ice

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 10:06 AM
cgh

Default How well does the 05/06 GT handle snow/ ice

I'm new to this forum and do not have Mustang yet..but I was wondering how well the GT does in snow and ice? If I make the purchase this car will be my primary car and I would like your opinions. I'm familiar with rear wheel drive and have enjoyed them in the past; however, I had a 1991 Thunderbird 5.0 and that car was wicked in snow and ice. Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Patience?!?

Default RE: How well does the 05/06 GT handle snow/ ice

ORIGINAL: cgh

I'm new to this forum and do not have Mustang yet..but I was wondering how well the GT does in snow and ice? If I make the purchase this car will be my primary car and I would like your opinions. I'm familiar with rear wheel drive and have enjoyed them in the past; however, I had a 1991 Thunderbird 5.0 and that car was wicked in snow and ice. Thanks for any advice.

There's been quite a few posts on this topic here and other forums ... do a search you will find what you need. But, from personal experience ... buy yourself some snow tires you will need them. Going uphill in snow is aweful (better than other sports cars) ... but, still sucks ... and that TCS ... hahaha ... i find it more annoying than helpful in the snow (like all other TCS's i've ever used) ... I suggest one of two things ... buy another car or a set of snow tires I ended up buying myself a 4 wheel drive cherokee for 800 bucks (no rust ... runs like a dream ... just old).
Old 05-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

I have gone 2 winters in MN and I will say that the Mustang does a fine job if you are willing to take your time and GET GOOD Tires you will be just fine.

1. Get some good snow tires.
2. Remember it's rear wheel drive and the @ss end can slide out from under you around corners "Just like the good old days"
3. Keep the TCS off it sucks to spin alittle and have the computer cut your power causes more problems the it solves.
4. Don't put any ground effects on the car or you might as well get the personal plate that says "SNOWPLOW" lol

I have my car dropped an inch and even with the stock tires on I have made my way though atleast 6-8 inches of snow although I live very close to work which helps alot.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:30 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

1 word - bad! unless you GET SNOW TIRES. I got stuck in a snow storm with some gatorbacks I had, long story short it took me 2 hours to go 2 miles and my brand new gatorbacks were slicks by the time I got home, outta control the whole way @ 5mph.
-P.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

Patience?!? is 100% correct though it is a much better idea to get a 2nd car and garage your pony you will be alot more happy with how your car looks when you don't take it out in the white stuff, since it is spring time I have started looking for a small truck I have felt so bad every time I have to go out in the snow and you can almost feel the salt eating you alive as you drive ICK.

Lejay friendly Side note: I will try to say this nicer then the last time, The fact that the windows drop when you lift the handle will cause things like snow to drop right in your car and on the seats and arm rest does not make it enjoyable to operate in the winter.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:32 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

I have donlop winterspot M#s and the car is actually very good in the snow with them on it.

Even the stock tires are actually classified as an all season tire but they kinda suck in the snow.

I think PZero must be talking about the older goodyear tires that came on the previous model because the Pzero priellis are not gatorbacks.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:49 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

The few times i ventured out on OEM tires in icey conditions I was scared. Back end was all over the place despite my driving like an old lady.

I think going to dedicated winter tires is a must if you plan to drive the mustang in snow/ice.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:55 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

I had a cop ask me the same thing yesterday when I went through a check point, they were just checking for expired inspection tags I think. He liked the car, asked me if I had driven it in the snow, how it handled, then told me to "be good" and off I went!
I only had the car during our last winter storm and I though it handled fine, I just didn't push it too hard.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:13 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

I can honestly say I have had zero problems with my GT in snow. This may be because I never drive it in snow or rain.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:15 PM
cyberjock4hire
1st Gear Member

I have used the car throughout this past winter. I drove it every day had no issues at all, but I do have a set of snow tires. I know that probably had something to do with it, but if the car was a poor performer such as the mustangs of the past, there probably would have been problems. I did not have to load the trunk up with sand or anything like that.
The worst thing was seeing the car covered with snow. Not to mention it is a vert, and the way the windows drop a bit when you open the door, well that was not easy to stomach. Especially when the window was frozen. All considered, it was no worse than any other vehicle in the snow.

Quick Reply: How well does the 05/06 GT handle snow/ ice