Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nokya Bulbs, Fogs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 04:58 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default Nokya Bulbs, Fogs?

So after a bit of reading, i have decided that the Nokya H13 bulbs are the best idea for me right now. however, i dont really like the idea of having my two head lights really bright and my two pony package fogs dimmer and yellowish. on their site, they reccomend the H10 bulbs for replacement fog lights, but i get the idea that they are talking about the GT fogs.

also, do you guys think that these bulbs will melt my fog light housings?

thanks
Old 05-29-2006, 05:18 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Nokya Bulbs, Fogs?

As long as the H10s are 42W or less, you should be fine.

I have some I'm using, no problems.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:20 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

the wattage draw for the H10 is 55 and output is 80. so this is no good?

what brand of lights are you running right now?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:20 AM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

I have the Luminics Ultra White 5,150Ks for the H10s (The bulb shows 42W). I haven't installed the H10 or H13s yet as I was a little turned off by some of the things I read about these bulbs after I purchased them. I wanted something a little brighter, but after I got them I noticed that thee glass is blue. I was reading that bulbs with the colored glass actually give off less light than bulbs with no coloring.

Chrisc on another note, the pony in your autosig, what is that? I saw a Mustang in the local Lowe's parking lot that had that pony in its rear quarter windows.. Looked very cool
Old 05-29-2006, 12:03 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

the wattage draw for the H10 is 55 and output is 80. so this is no good?

what brand of lights are you running right now?

The DRAW is the only number that is meaninful. If 42 W is stock and your new bulb is drawing 55 watts, then it is going to be running hotter than stock. Hot enough to melt something? I don't know. But it will be hotter.

By the way, do not fall for this "draw is 55 but output is 80" crap. That is an outright marketing lie. If the bulb is using 55 watts of electricity, then how the hell can it be giving you 80 watts of light?? That is impossible, you can't magically create extra light from nowhere. In fact, no transfer of energy is 100% efficient. If the bulb consumes 55 watts of electricity, then you'll be getting some LOWER amount of energy back as light. The rest becomes heat: and light bulbs get pretty hot. They might as well be selling you a perpetual motion machine.

I'll explain how they do this little gimmick. They change the shape of the glass in the bulb to refocus the light ouput. This puts more light in the center of the beam (making it look brighter in the middle of the beam). But, in doing so they diminish the light at the edges of the beam. After all they only have 55 watts worth of energy to work with. This makes the lights appear brighter in the middle, but it consequently decreases illumination to the sides of your car, cutting down on your peripheal vision.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:25 PM
mhahnjr
1st Gear Member

Personally I looked for DOT certified lights and this is the only one I came up with.

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-100319.cfm H13
http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-100312.cfm 9145

They seem to be fine, I have only had my car for 3 months but no issues yet.

06 GT Premium
Windveil Blue
Auto

[IMG]local://upfiles/33562/B6BA86FD27784D73A8F2172A05B8101D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

I purchased these replacement lights:

http://blueovalindustries.com/produc...ealer=blueoval

DON'T GET THESE! My lights are about 25% dimmer (as if they weren't bright enough in the first place) and the foglights are a faint blue, not an intense bluish-white that I was going for. The headlights are as bright as cheap flashlights. What was I thinking!?

mhahnjr, the lights you bought, are they better than stock? Do they look good, brighter?
Old 05-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for excellent replacement bulbs? I don't want to make the same mistake twice. And yes, I know about the Saleen HID's. I just need the money for performance mods...
Old 05-29-2006, 02:53 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mhahnjr

Personally I looked for DOT certified lights and this is the only one I came up with.

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-100319.cfm H13
http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-100312.cfm 9145

They seem to be fine, I have only had my car for 3 months but no issues yet.

06 GT Premium
Windveil Blue
Auto

[IMG]local://upfiles/33562/B6BA86FD27784D73A8F2172A05B8101D.jpg[/IMG]
how do you like them? are they brighter than the stock ones?
Old 05-29-2006, 02:56 PM
mhahnjr
1st Gear Member

it is a hard comparison, I would say they are not quite as bright as the stock, or they may be just as bright. I don't believe they are any brighter, they are just white instead of yellowish. It is a hard comparison to stock, I may pull one H13 out tonight and replace it with stock and get a side by side comparison. Right now I have just the H13's I didn't get the fog lamps yet. The stock fog lamps are brighter than the new headlamps but if I remember that was the same with the stock headlamps.

Quick Reply: Nokya Bulbs, Fogs?