Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SVT Cobra IRS conversion for the S197 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: SVT Cobra IRS conversion for the S197 ?

Oh yeah, the old-school vs the new.

Well I'm in the new, I understand the superiority of IRS for handling, but when you (or I) say that some things need to be kept in mind.

First, on relatively level surfaces a well set up solid axle can perform as well as an IRS--Ford has proven that with its many wins over IRS equipped cars in the new Mustang. But those wins came on race-prepped tracks, not the flaw-filled roads everyday drivers see. Second, the old-school prefers solids because of drag racing (the American favorite), in which it accels over the IRS. This too is something every chassis designer knows as gospel. IRS design (far from execution) cannot take advantage of as much anti-squat as a well done solid because the axles on an IRS are not doing anything in this department. But if you're looking for cornering superiority, then under real-world driving conditions, IRS is the hands down winner.

As far as strength goes, Corvettes and Vipers running 800-1000+ hp have IRS suspensions, and they do just fine after appropriately strengthening them, which you also need to do with this sort of power applied to a solid axle (I don't think this is really a practical matter). And to the converted Cobras, they are done for drag racing (often in dedicated drag cars), plus keep in mind the old Cobra's IRS was a retrofit into a chassis that was never intended to have IRS in the first place. That is not the case with the new S197 platform--it was designed from the beginning to be IRS, so it would almost certainly fair far better than the previous Cobra did with its design.

Anyway, Maximum Motorsports showed up at some SEMA show or something with an IRS conversion kit for the S197s. Their stuff is top-notch, but I haven't seen anything posted on their site. I keep checking in on them, but nothing yet.

Best,
-j
Old 06-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

Maximum Motorsports had a prototype IRS conversion at the 04 SEMA show. I haven't heard much confirmation if they have been moving forward on it.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:32 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nichepi

Maximum Motorsports had a prototype IRS conversion at the 04 SEMA show. I haven't heard much confirmation if they have been moving forward on it.
I got ahold of someone at Maximum Motorsports, and here is their reply:

No, the IRS concept for the S197 chassis that debuted at the SEMA show in Las Vegas last year is not based off the 1999-2004 Cobra IRS. In fact there is not a single component shared between the two systems. The Maximum Motorsports IRS concept for the S197 chassis was engineered from the ground up for optimum performance.

Since it's unveiling, it has undergone rigorous testing and design refinements. Unlike our competitors we will not release a product for public consumption until we are completely satisfied with the results. There is no definite ETA at this time but it will be available shortly. Keep checking back to the website for new product releases!

Jason Jacques
Sales/Tech Support
Tel: 805.544.8748