Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Else disappointed with their MODS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 11:53 PM
dtuna42
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone Else disappointed with their MODS?

I have some thoughts on this. First, I need to know if you have stick or auto (if you already stated, I missed it - sorry), because my first question is traction. If you're getting these times with an auto at your elevation, they're not too bad. If you're getting these times with a manual and you're spinning, then obviosly you need better tires and/or a better launch. I am going to assume that traction is not your problem though, because even if you have a traction problem that slows your ET, if you're making good power you're trap speed will still be good. You're times would be kinda lopsided, i.e. slow et, like 14.5, but high trap, i.e. 105mph. Since your times and trap speed correlate, I suspect you have the combination of thin air at altitude along with not making the power you wan. by the way, I don't agree with the long tube vs. shorty argument, because my 93 Cobra ran 12.2 @ 113 with shorty headers, 2.5" duals, secondary fuel pump booster, and a 9lb Powerdyne blower - nothing else - and on 3.08 gears. Shorty headers work, they just don't help as much low end torque as early as the long tubes.

Anyway, back to your problem. Firt thing I would do is look online (or maybe someone knows where to find one) for a altitude to sea level calculator so you can "correct" your et and trap speed to sea level to see where you are comparatively speaking. You also need to consider that the changes you made are all designed to flow more air naturally, but with the decreased O2 level up there the changes won't be as efficient as sea level. Power adders would help you much more (NOS, blower, etc.) Also, the gears are a great recommendation. They definately wake things up regardless of engine issues because they just multiply the engine speed to the wheels quicker. But what I suspect may be an issue for you is the tune. Either it's not a good tune, or the tune could be too aggressive for the condition of the gas you're using. Sometimes overaggresive tuning can be counter productive. For example, if you're tuned for 93 octne and your gas isn't giving you 93 octane, your engine could be experiencing some detonation which would cause the engine management to increase fuel pressure and retard timing to prevent engine damage. If this is what's happening, you're essentially running a detuned car with a big intake and big exhaust, which doesn't do much for performance.

Give us some more details and I'm sure one of us out here can help you get to the bottom of it. Also, at the risk of sounding condescending, if you have a friend who you know drives really well, get them behind the wheel for a pass or two just to rule out any driver issues. The we need to know tranny, shift points, traction issues, etc., and basically anything that you can think of to paint a full picture. I'm sure it can be figured out and rectified.

I just went back and saw that you have a new shifter so I'm assuming that's for a stick. So we need to know how you launch (dump clutch, spinning, bogging down, etc.), shift points, shift technique (gas kept floored or lift off gas to shift, etc., spinning or traction hitting second, what gear at what rpm you're in going through the traps, etc.). Pretty much anything you can think of to describe the run.

Dave
Old 06-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

I'm not disapointed at all. Last week I took my u/d's, intake, and tune out to get some service/warranty work done (what the ford dealership doesn't know won't hurt them [8D] ) , and BLLAAAAH. I mean, it's not like the car was that slow or anyting, but you definately feel the difference.

Here's conversion factor chart from NHRA HERE

So you're sea level times are 13.37@101.51

Not bad at all. You've beat my times at the track (I really gotta learn how to launch [:'(] ) 13.45@106.44 (converted from a 3500' altitude)
Old 06-02-2006, 02:18 AM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

Ummm, NO

I haven't raced, or dyno'ed. I really don't intend to race. I may dyno in the future.

The car has responded very nicely to a JLT-CAI and tune. I changed mufflers, didn't expect a performance boost, but the sound is much nicer.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:52 AM
CDW63
2nd Gear Member

I think the times that you posted are pretty good considering (location, location, location), its the thin air that is killing you. I just drove my GT from Phoenix (900 ft) to Albuquerque (+5500 ft), the car felt totally different. I was surprised how much it actually affected the car's performance, I couldn't wait to feel the power once back in AZ. I think if you drove the car to western Kansas you also would feel a significant increase in performance.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:01 AM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

Ok tuna I'll give as much info as I can.

however before you read this understand that i can do things to improve my 1/4 ETs by correcting some shifts and little other stuff. But that wont show me an improvement w/ mods since I did the same thing stock as I'm doing now. Also, the baseline dyno, plus the current dyno show a HP/TQ increase of around 12. I mean technically I can run this way stock, make some improvements on launches and shifts and what not and pickup .2-.3 on the same stock setup....see what I mean? So I'm not as concerned with times as I am w/ actual HP output but moreso how that new HP translates to new and improved ETs.

here's how the good passes go.
As you guessed I do have a manual tranny...

I've tried both spinning and grabbing hard off the line. All of my spinning starts are faster than when I don't spin at all. We're talking about a slight spin as well not enought so it's just constantly slipping but enough so that I'm not bogging down either. So at a best of 2.113 60' I think I'm ok at the launches for now (w/ street tires and stock gears).

I basically dump the clutch to get to that point. If I feather the clutch I can't get enough 'slight spin' and it bogs down. I leave the line anywhere from 3200-3500...anymore and lots of spinning and wheelhop and the race is over.

Next comes the shift. I'm shifting just at redline...as my HP/TQ curves are already dropping off and pickup just before peak. I am also granny shifting. Taking my foot off the gas slightly and then jamming down into 2nd. I am spinning 2nd as well. Not much-not much at all-but it still breaks traction. Any type of power shift and I'm certain it will spin a heck of a lot more further sacrificing speed/times. Same shift from second to 3rd, and a small chirp into 3rd gear on the track. I hit the traps right at redline in 3rd gear and cross at a best of 14.41 at about 97.7 I think.

So there you have it....

Discuss...

I'm a little verklempt!

ORIGINAL: dtuna42

I have some thoughts on this. First, I need to know if you have stick or auto (if you already stated, I missed it - sorry), because my first question is traction. If you're getting these times with an auto at your elevation, they're not too bad. If you're getting these times with a manual and you're spinning, then obviosly you need better tires and/or a better launch. I am going to assume that traction is not your problem though, because even if you have a traction problem that slows your ET, if you're making good power you're trap speed will still be good. You're times would be kinda lopsided, i.e. slow et, like 14.5, but high trap, i.e. 105mph. Since your times and trap speed correlate, I suspect you have the combination of thin air at altitude along with not making the power you wan. by the way, I don't agree with the long tube vs. shorty argument, because my 93 Cobra ran 12.2 @ 113 with shorty headers, 2.5" duals, secondary fuel pump booster, and a 9lb Powerdyne blower - nothing else - and on 3.08 gears. Shorty headers work, they just don't help as much low end torque as early as the long tubes.

Anyway, back to your problem. Firt thing I would do is look online (or maybe someone knows where to find one) for a altitude to sea level calculator so you can "correct" your et and trap speed to sea level to see where you are comparatively speaking. You also need to consider that the changes you made are all designed to flow more air naturally, but with the decreased O2 level up there the changes won't be as efficient as sea level. Power adders would help you much more (NOS, blower, etc.) Also, the gears are a great recommendation. They definately wake things up regardless of engine issues because they just multiply the engine speed to the wheels quicker. But what I suspect may be an issue for you is the tune. Either it's not a good tune, or the tune could be too aggressive for the condition of the gas you're using. Sometimes overaggresive tuning can be counter productive. For example, if you're tuned for 93 octne and your gas isn't giving you 93 octane, your engine could be experiencing some detonation which would cause the engine management to increase fuel pressure and retard timing to prevent engine damage. If this is what's happening, you're essentially running a detuned car with a big intake and big exhaust, which doesn't do much for performance.

Give us some more details and I'm sure one of us out here can help you get to the bottom of it. Also, at the risk of sounding condescending, if you have a friend who you know drives really well, get them behind the wheel for a pass or two just to rule out any driver issues. The we need to know tranny, shift points, traction issues, etc., and basically anything that you can think of to paint a full picture. I'm sure it can be figured out and rectified.

I just went back and saw that you have a new shifter so I'm assuming that's for a stick. So we need to know how you launch (dump clutch, spinning, bogging down, etc.), shift points, shift technique (gas kept floored or lift off gas to shift, etc., spinning or traction hitting second, what gear at what rpm you're in going through the traps, etc.). Pretty much anything you can think of to describe the run.

Dave
Old 06-03-2006, 01:53 AM
dtuna42
1st Gear Member

First of all, your biggest question was answered already. You're in the 13's as converted to sea level. I think going trough in 3rd means you step up the rear gears a little bit, just remember, to higher you go, the less comfortable it can get on the highway. Also, You definately need drag radials or cheaters so you can leave the starting line up higher in the rpm rage. More on this in a sec. I definately think you won't see all that your mods will give you without using every bit of RPM you have along with speed shifting. The issue is that the bolt on mods are mostly improving peak tq & hp while at full throttle, meaning you'll se the most improvement by spending the most time in the gas and in the rpms. That clearly points out that you would benefit by gears also, because if you can wind it out quicker and spend more time in the higher part of more gears, you will be making more power. The lack of difference your noticing is compounded because of your altitude. Your mods are supposed to help take advantage of improved air flow, but your air is thin so it's not making a big difference. Obviously the best choice is to just force things, like a blower or turbo, or even nitrous. But if you don't want to get that aggressine, at least try gears, tires, and drive a little more aggressively when you're going for ET's.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:57 PM
dtuna42
1st Gear Member

It sounds to me, from what everyone else in higher altitudes posts, that the air up there is the biggest culprit. 2.1 60 ft times are actually pretty good for street tires, so I think you're launching pretty well. You would see that go down to about 1.8-2.0 with drag radials, and a little lower with cheater slicks. You could drop some rear air pressure for better traction and increase some front tire pressure for less rolling resistance.

As for the trap speeds, that has more to do with peak power and shifting. You're definately leaving a couple of tenths on the track with lifting the throttle during shifts. If you lower the rear pressures and/or use drag radials or cheaters, you'll get rid of the 2nd and 3rd gear spinning, so you can speed shift, which will make a difference.

But the bottom line is, I think, your corrected (to sea level) ET in the mid 13's and your corrected trap speed of over 100 mph shows that it's not the car, and not really even your driving, it's the air up there.

I'm curious to see how you compare to other people racing on the same track at the same time with similar mods are getting when you're running in the 14's.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:35 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4wheelkillr

So this is my little bitching post...
and I'm probably not the only one and here's what I mean.

I've made over 20 passes w/ my car at the drag strip- so I think I've got a pretty good base.

I've got about $1700 in mods on my car (see my sig for details) and I fail to see where it has helped very much.

My very first time ever at the drag strip I was able to turn out a 14.651 or so and a 2.181 60' with nothing but Shorty Headers and Flowmasters. Now we all know that exhaust does very little on this car mainly because the exhaust is fairly open being 2.5" anyway. So I don't have a true realworld baseline to go off...but I can't possibly imagine my exhaust giving me any more than a 10th or so.

Last night I was at it again making this my 3rd trip to the Strip. 11 total passes last night. The first run of the night was also my best run of the night and now my new best run ever. The only thing I added from last week was the U/D Pulleys. My times: 60' 2.113 and 1/4 14.416.

I've spent $1700 in mods, dyno tune the works.
I've gained about 15hp TOTAL, and dropped .235 in the 1/4...that's it!

That's just annoying as all hell.

Now I will say that some other 05 GT's up here are just plain crap. But I think it's the drivers too. Stock 06 GT manual last night couldn't get better than 15.4 (again my semi-stock baseline is at 14.65). Another 06 GT with a KB blower couldn't get lower than 14.2's!!

Is anyone else feeling me on this crap?

Frustrated,

Chris
At your altitude it's so hard to say what a good baseline should be. With a CAI and tune and MAC mufflers I've run a best of 13.53@104.45 which I must say is ok with me and I feel a 13.4 is in her in this condition if I can get better than a 2.09 60'.

I'm VERY tempted to return my car to 100% stock, go to the track and see what she does. I HIGHLY doubt a few magazine times of 13.5@104 bone stock.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:21 AM
nitrojunkee
1st Gear Member

Hey 4wheelkillr, this is the guy with the silver GT that you talked to on the test and tune a few weeks back. I think you might be expecting a little too much with the mods you have done dude. I saw you running 14.7 and 14.8s pretty consistantly that night, and it was pretty hot....80s. Last year I had pretty much the exact mods you have, with exception of headers and an actual dyno tune, and I ran consistant 14.6, 14.7s....and one 14.48 when it was pretty chilly...54 degrees. The night I was talking to you, I had the 4.30s, and I ended up running back to back 14.2s. With some more practice launching, I can feel the car has 14 teens, and possibly a 14.0 in it on the street tires.

One thing is your leaving way harder than I do, Im leaving at about 2200, and feathering out of the hole to keep from bogging. Even with the 4.30s im still leaving the same, and it actually seems to be hooking better. If I could actually launch the car hard, like at 5000 rpm, my ET's would drop by a few more tenths easily. Thats where stickies come into play though. Your car runs good for the mods you have at this altitude man, dont sweat it. I honestly dont think there are huge power gains to be made up here with the handheld tuners be it the Predator, or XC2. Being N/A , we are just at a monster Disadvantage with the altitude.

Just my thoughts.....

M.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:22 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

yeah I remember you...specifically the 4.30's....

my best times when I was there with you that night were 14.6's...
recently, last wednesday my best was a 14.41 w/ a new best 60' of 2.11
(again all on street tires)...
w/ 4.30s I'd think you'd be in the 13s for sure...that's a huge jump in gearing...Since I'm running 14.4s now I'm hoping that the 4.10s I put on here shortly will get me to the 13s...one of my friends dropped .7 by going from 3.23 to 4.10....so I'm hoping 4.10s will get me at least .4 which will get me 13s...almost...then of course drag tires and I should be there easily...

obviously the best thing is just to supercharge....but all I see are dollarsigns clicking away when I think about buying a supercharger...

I might go to Bandi 1 more time before the gears...we shall see...
ORIGINAL: nitrojunkee

Hey 4wheelkillr, this is the guy with the silver GT that you talked to on the test and tune a few weeks back. I think you might be expecting a little too much with the mods you have done dude. I saw you running 14.7 and 14.8s pretty consistantly that night, and it was pretty hot....80s. Last year I had pretty much the exact mods you have, with exception of headers and an actual dyno tune, and I ran consistant 14.6, 14.7s....and one 14.48 when it was pretty chilly...54 degrees. The night I was talking to you, I had the 4.30s, and I ended up running back to back 14.2s. With some more practice launching, I can feel the car has 14 teens, and possibly a 14.0 in it on the street tires.

One thing is your leaving way harder than I do, Im leaving at about 2200, and feathering out of the hole to keep from bogging. Even with the 4.30s im still leaving the same, and it actually seems to be hooking better. If I could actually launch the car hard, like at 5000 rpm, my ET's would drop by a few more tenths easily. Thats where stickies come into play though. Your car runs good for the mods you have at this altitude man, dont sweat it. I honestly dont think there are huge power gains to be made up here with the handheld tuners be it the Predator, or XC2. Being N/A , we are just at a monster Disadvantage with the altitude.

Just my thoughts.....

M.

Quick Reply: Anyone Else disappointed with their MODS?