Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shelby GT500--what a disapointment

Old 06-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby GT500--what a disapointment

we all hyped up the new gt500 so much and i think we'll be disappointed because we set the standars really high for it, but jesus christ the thing is a pig.... 3800lbs? =/ it just seems that american cars are getting heavier and heavier ...
Old 06-03-2006, 12:08 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

I read 3920 pounds for the coupe. Most of the added weight is in the nose.

The skidpad and slalom numbers are worse than the stock GT and with 18"s.

Any gain by the bigger motor and brakes is sucked up by the weight. They ruined the car IMO. Had they actually worked to keep the weight out of it they might have had something nice. Then to top it all off, they neutered the gearing. All it actually is is a nice collectors item to me.

A modified GT with a nice supercharger an minor suspension and brake work would **** all over the GT 500 on a track or on the street. And that isnt a heavily modified car either. All I am talking is a 5K dollar supercharger, some shocks and sway bars, maybe springs in the back, and a set of nice sticky 255 series tires for the stock 18" wheels.

Forgetting about performance, the interior is just too plain. Everything I liked about the GT they ruined on the 500. The nose is more reminiscent of a large mouthed bass. They only offer a black or red and black interior for some reason. SO all the very nice color combinations that go well with the light graphite or tan interior are lost.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:55 AM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

I read 3920 pounds for the coupe. Most of the added weight is in the nose.

The skidpad and slalom numbers are worse than the stock GT and with 18"s.

Any gain by the bigger motor and brakes is sucked up by the weight. They ruined the car IMO. Had they actually worked to keep the weight out of it they might have had something nice. Then to top it all off, they neutered the gearing. All it actually is is a nice collectors item to me.

A modified GT with a nice supercharger an minor suspension and brake work would **** all over the GT 500 on a track or on the street. And that isnt a heavily modified car either. All I am talking is a 5K dollar supercharger, some shocks and sway bars, maybe springs in the back, and a set of nice sticky 255 series tires for the stock 18" wheels.

Forgetting about performance, the interior is just too plain. Everything I liked about the GT they ruined on the 500. The nose is more reminiscent of a large mouthed bass. They only offer a black or red and black interior for some reason. SO all the very nice color combinations that go well with the light graphite or tan interior are lost.
I am kinda glad to here this because i thought about waitin to buy one but since the markups and all that and the fact. that i love my 06 GT i think everything is goin to be okay now.

But man ford sure did make a pig, I thought the GTO was fat(haha).

Old 06-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Nadelle
3rd Gear Member

ok ok....wait till 5.0 Magazine or Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords test the GT500, they always drive the cars like they stole em.

I bet they will get ATLEAST a 1/2 second off the quater mile time.

The gt500 is still a real beast.

But i really hope they didnt ruin the Cobra like they did the SHO, when they switched from a Yamaha v6 to a Ford/Yamaha v8 that was actually slower than the old v6.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:56 AM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

c/d needs the good driver mod. the GT500 will easily run low 12's if not mid-high 11's with a DECENT DRIVER.

the GT500 is a beast.
How can you say this without taking one to tracks and proving it? Speculation is for P*#$Y'S
Old 06-03-2006, 06:16 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nadelle

ok ok....wait till 5.0 Magazine or Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords test the GT500, they always drive the cars like they stole em.

I bet they will get ATLEAST a 1/2 second off the quater mile time.

The gt500 is still a real beast.

But i really hope they didnt ruin the Cobra like they did the SHO, when they switched from a Yamaha v6 to a Ford/Yamaha v8 that was actually slower than the old v6.
R u saying that yamaha helps ford make engines ? if so then im a yamaha fan because i own a yamaha blaster and a yamaha banshee
Old 06-03-2006, 08:31 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Motor trend posted a 12.7 quarter and a 4.5 second 0-60. Nothing to sneeze at, but slow enough for a Z06 owner to laugh at. That's barely even garden variety C6 territory. 3900 pounds? holy carp. If Ford was aiming for the Z06, they need some serious target practice.

Maybe I am just another GT owner (well...any day now) who is rationalizing that his GT is a better ride than the GT500 for $45K plus $20K markup......but that is an easy rationalization to make.

D
Old 06-03-2006, 10:35 AM
dtuna42
1st Gear Member

I disagree with most of what was said here so far.

First of all, the GT 500 if anything is a comp to a regular Vette, not the Z06. The Z06 is like what, $68,000? The regular Vette is even in the $50k to $55k range. If people stop paying the "market adjustment", it would go away. But there's always someone out there with money to burn, so there'll always be an adjustment on limited production cars.

As for the ET's, the magazines usually test with all accessories on (like a/c), and they do a drop clutch launch at low rpm, which typically results in either traction issues or bogging down, and they lift-throttle the shifts, which results in slower et's and trap speeds.

The engine in the GT500 is the same thing as in the Ford GT. It's detuned a little bit, to about 475 ft. lbs of torque, and about 475 hp, and the weight is only about 100-150lbs over a Mustang GT simply because the 5.4 weighs just a little more than the 4.6. My '06 GT's invoice showed a shipping weight of 3500 lbs, so I would say the GT 500 would be about 3600-3650 lbs as shipped.

Plus, as usual, Ford most likely sandbagged some power for insurance purposes, meaning a simple tune would probably make a huge difference, just like in the previous SC Cobra. This doesn't even take into account messing with pulley's and such.

I say to anyone who thinks a SC 4.6 would beat a GT 500, try one when they hit the street. but that's only if you can find somebody that'll race theirs. I'm guessing it'll be the same kind of owner as the typical Vette - old, bald, rich guy in the right lane going no more than 54mph just trying to look cool and showing off his net worth. That's the sad part. the cars most like will never live up to their potential because of their typical owners.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:50 AM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

In reading articles about the Mustang GT and the Shelby.............

05/06 GT 1st gear 3.34 Axle ratio 3.55
07 Shelby 1st gear 2.97 Axle Ratio 3.31

I wonder if the launch isn't being hindered by the steeper effective gearing.

Mustang GT 5th gear .67
Shelby 6th gear .63

For your consideration.....................

Old 06-03-2006, 01:17 PM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

I'm with Torch on this. Unless you plan on buying the car for investment purposes, and leaving it stock, I think for the money, our GT's have great potential. Just look at the GT500 (visually), it's almost identical with a few styling changes. I say once the GT500 is out, we'll even see additional body mods we could apply to almost make our GT's look identical in looks and with the typical performance mods, just as potent in performance. We now have the rear spoiler, just wait, someone will copy the front, hood etc. I'd bet money on it! I can't see spending the money and then beefing the GT500 up when the cost would be astonomical compared to other vehicles of equal value ie, Z06, Viper, Ford GT etc. But then again, some are die hard ford Mustang Shelby fans and will have to have one!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shelby GT500--what a disapointment