Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who have a predator tuner......

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:26 AM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

Default For those who have a predator tuner......

I've uploaded my 93 octane tune and I'm wondering what small changes to the defaults can give me a little more bump in power from it. I can definately feel a difference with just the tuner, waiting on my CAI, and I'm wondering what else I may can get out of the tuner.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:45 AM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: For those who have a predator tuner......

Oh and another question. Will I have to do much to the tune when I install my CAI or will it just adapt to it like it would with a stock tune?
Old 06-07-2006, 01:51 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Don't rely on the base "canned" tune from Diablo when you get your CAI. Get a custom tune from that manufacturer for the predator when you buy it. I have a Steeda CAI, and they have their own tunes for the Predator. This is more reliable than the canned tunes if you aren't going to have it tuned by a pro.

The other thing you should do when you upload a canned tune, or even a mfr specific tune (like my Steeda) is take it to a reputable shop that can do a dyno pull with A/F metering so you can be sure the tune is safe. Canned tunes have been known to run too lean or too rich [&:]
Old 06-07-2006, 02:12 AM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

I can't find a specific tune for my cai. It is an AEM Brute Force. Has anybody else found one?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:49 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

You probably won't find one on the Diablo site. They only offered two. One for Steeda and one for C&L. I would ask the vendor you are purchasing your CAI from first. If that doesn't get you anywhere, go on to the Diablo web site and do the dealer locator. You will be able to find a tuning shop in your area that uses Diablo software and get a custom dyno tune for your vehicle.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:54 AM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

There is a shop not 10 minutes from my house I just found out. Is it absolutely neccessary, or will it run fine without a custom tune?
Old 06-07-2006, 04:23 AM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

The diablo canned tunes are designed to work with the stock air box. You'll need to get a custom tune specific to the CAI you purchased. I was in a similar situation as you when i bought mine. The custom tune they gave me didn't work so i had to wait a day to get the right one. In the meantime i ran the canned 93 octane tune. It ran too lean for my CAI. When i got the custome tune in everything worked great.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:02 AM
Remrats1234
3rd Gear Member

from what i have heard if u dont get it done right u could f up ur engine bad
Old 06-07-2006, 10:56 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Go with a custom dynotune. A bit pricey, but specific to your cars needs and mods. It bought me an extra 28 hp and 30+ pounds of torque over the 93 Diablo tune. It also gives you the peace of mind that your A/F is safe. My tuner checks my A/F for free anytime I add another mod, and another and another....................[8D]
Old 06-07-2006, 11:00 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: rebelyell06

There is a shop not 10 minutes from my house I just found out. Is it absolutely neccessary, or will it run fine without a custom tune?
Is it ABSOLUTELY necessary, no - but HIGHLY recommended. If you run the canned 93 octane tune with your CAI you might get a check engine light within a few miles. This would be a too lean condition, in which case you definitely need a tune. If you don't get a CEL, you still need to do a dyno pull with A/F metering to be sure you are in the high 12 to low 13 A/F range. Handheld tuners are great, but you have to be smart/safe because you don't want to log a ton miles with a "just lean/rich enough" condition to not trip your CEL [&:]

Quick Reply: For those who have a predator tuner......