Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of respect to greg97svt, "Does the GT 500 suck?"

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 05:24 AM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Out of respect to greg97svt, "Does the GT 500 suck?"

Do you think any of these same opinions get back to Ford? I would hope so. I too believe that they can do way more with the looks. Those wheels have to go. With the exception of the bullits, ford factory wheels are too weak. When i had my 2000 V6 the first thing i did was change the wheels. That alone turned it into a totally different car. Hopefully they make the right changes and it turns out to be worth the price otherwise you're just buying because of the name.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_1469765/tm.htm
Old 06-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

If the GT500 had an IRS and the EXACT same engine as the Ford GT (aluminum block and lysholm twin-screw), then it would be worth what they're asking. But its got a solid axle, iron block and an eaton roots, which makes it worth 32K tops. The other 20K is going right to Mr. Shelby and the dealer.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:45 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

i think its funny how so many people praise the GT500 just because it has 500 hp. and i found it funny that so many people attacked greg just for not liking the car. i mean, the thing is pretty sad from what im hearing to only be running 12.5-9 or so. i was expecting low 12's high 11's easily stock. they need to get a different s/c and get that thing on the slim fast diet. right now id rather take a 03-04 cobra than waste money on the gt500.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the report sir. It's just what I thought.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:41 PM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

Why most everybody wants to compare the Shelby to the Corvette? They are not in thesame category and never been. Right now the only American Muscle cars that can be compared to the Mustang/Shelby and still not in the same category are the Charger and GTO. If you want to compare apples to apples, wait until the Challenger and Crapmaro debut. Why can't anyone be happy that after all these years Ford had kept the Mustang alive while GM dropped the Fireturds and Crapmaros?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 1fast05GT

Why most everybody wants to compare the Shelby to the Corvette? They are not in thesame category and never been. Right now the only American Muscle cars that can be compared to the Mustang/Shelby and still not in the same category are the Charger and GTO. If you want to compare apples to apples, wait until the Challenger and Crapmaro debut. Why can't anyone be happy that after all these years Ford had kept the Mustang alive while GM dropped the Fireturds and Crapmaros?
They make the comparison because they look at engine specs only. I agree, vette and stang are different classes of vehicles but the "why won't xxx car with 400hp not beat xxx car with the same hp or less?"

I know, for our next comparo, lets take a 120hp motorcycle and compare it to a 120hp civic...why oh why can't the Civic outrun the bike??
Old 06-17-2006, 03:53 AM
greg97svt

ORIGINAL: Derf00

They make the comparison because they look at engine specs only. I agree, vette and stang are different classes of vehicles but the "why won't xxx car with 400hp not beat xxx car with the same hp or less?"

I know, for our next comparo, lets take a 120hp motorcycle and compare it to a 120hp civic...why oh why can't the Civic outrun the bike??
Why?? Because the bike is at least 5 times lighter than civic! Now, if civic got 600 hp (5 times of that bike) then it would be a different story.
Folks, for drag-race weight and classes don't really matter. It's all about Weight/Power ratio and traction. That's why GT 500 and corvette are absolutely comparable.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:07 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

FWIW, the GT500 isn't being compared to Corvettes in these reviews, it's being compared to GTOs and Chargers, and it's winning in spades.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:17 AM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

I originally posted this under the 'MM&FF GT500 thread', but I thought I would repost it here to voice my opinion.

--------

I just read the article today, GREAT piece. The auther said in no-uncertain terms: with 4.10s, the Shelby would be an 11 second car. I know the debate is going to rage on until these cars hit the streets, so I figure I will cast my opinion now.

This is not a Shelby car. Yes, it has a Shelby badge, but this is a new SVT car. In my opinion, only cars that come from Shebly's shop can be considered true Shelbys. (The new V6 Mustang they make come to mind.)

But I don't give a RAT'S ***. Even if the badge on the car is wrong, it is still an amazing machine. Fastest production mustang ever built, 500hp, and a 12.25 time.

Yeah, I want one.

I know people are bitching about the handling. They're probably right, but mustang's have never been known as great handling cars. Nevermind it is a MUCH upgraded suspension over a stock GT. People bitch about the weight. Yeah, it's heavy, that is the only true complaint I have with the car.

Is the car worth $20,000 over sticker? Hell no. But I expect after the first year, you're going to see the price of this car plummet back to MSRP. MM&FF stated the car would be produced for 5 years at 8,000 units per year. I'm not sure I believe Ford will produce it for that long, but I hope they do. I plan on making a GT500 the next vehicle I purchase.

If you can get over the fact that this car is not a real Shelby, and just a SVT car, it truly is a fine piece of engineering.

Quick Reply: Out of respect to greg97svt, "Does the GT 500 suck?"