Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford will put a new convertible top on my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 08:45 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

Default Ford will put a new convertible top on my car

About a month ago I was examining my car and noticed about a 3/8 inch tear in the convertible top on the left side just back of the window, down at body level. It's down in there enough that it would be hard to accidentally poke it with something there. I'm certain that it was caused by something rubbing when the top is raised and lowered. And besides, my particular top is very difficult to latch, not wanting to close the last three inches or so without some serious application of force.

I generally try to keep my top down as much as possible, and I'm sure that it has not gone up and down even 50 times in the year that I've owned the car.

Well, I took the car in for its one year service today and pointed out the problem to the service manager. He said that it didn't look normal and would check with Ford on it. Now I have word that they're going to replace the whole top to fix the problem.

I guess there are some advantages to buying from a local dealer and having all work done there. I hope this isn't cutting into Ford's profit margin too much. They already replaced the right side windows due to a problem with the rubber seals.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:58 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Ford will put a new convertible top on my car

Somehow I doubt that their stocks took a hit on the news of your top being replaced under warranty. At least they aren't giving you grief over it.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:30 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

Wow, it's refreshing to hear some examples of Ford honoring their warrany. Most posts are complaints about Ford service being horrible and I've had nothing but good service from my dealer. The dealerships can't all give crappy service to everyone and stay in business.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

What problem did you have with the seal? Ford replaced my driver side rear window because the seal ripped and the window wasn't aligned well.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ScottRNelson

I hope this isn't cutting into Ford's profit margin too much. They already replaced the right side windows due to a problem with the rubber seals.
GM has proven that they can replace about 40% of every vehicle under warranty and still be profitable....oh....wait.....no, they are having trouble with the profitability thing, aren't they? But warranty costs are the least of their problems...
Old 06-15-2006, 10:31 AM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Furinox

What problem did you have with the seal? Ford replaced my driver side rear window because the seal ripped and the window wasn't aligned well.
The seal ripped and the window wasn't aligned well.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:40 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

depends on your dealer. My dealer is pretty cool and has covered most things i found wrong (nit picking) But i'v heard stories of other dealers not being so leniant with the warantee stuff. I also have just one mechanic i go to who is cool. We talk and stuff when i get service
Old 06-15-2006, 01:21 PM
cwall583
1st Gear Member

As much as I have read in the forums about FORD being difficult I too have had no problems with them. I do have a CAI and tune and while they have commented on how nice my car is they have never given me any problems. In fact we talked at length about the AirAid CAI and Predator Tune and the service managers take was that sice the AirAid CAI basically used the stock tune anyway it was no big deal. They have repaird a problem with an injector, replaced the original Shaker 500 with a Gen II unit, replaced the fuel sensor, and the battery.

But this does seem to be highly variable based on the individual dealer. It also helps that I am over 50 and don't really push the performance of my car much. Might treat some of their younger customers much differently I suppose.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:19 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Here's what I've observed. When the roof reaches the windshield, I release the button. I then hit the but again and the roof closes the last little bit. Remember, the instructions tell you to grab the grab bar located in the center of the roof and close the "drivers" side first. Then the passenger side. After the first week I got over the terror that I would ruin the top mechanism and now its a snap to open and close.