Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the better cai?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: the better cai?

ORIGINAL: Kaldar142

hmmm another question arises though i just realized, i plan to go with a supercharger later down the line, almostt defientely procharger (maybe KB). but like i heard most procharger kits come with the predator, how does that work out if i have the xcal2 tune + c&l cai but then i go to procharge my car? probably a stupid question but hey it doesnt hurt to ask right, will it cause any complications when i go to use the tune provided with the predator?

or actually how about any other mod that needs a tune, i dont understand how it works, can someone explain it to me
the point of the "tune" is to change certain parameters inside the engines computer. i.e. air/fuel ratio, gear ratio, shift point, rev limiters, etc etc... theres TONS of stuff you can do inside that computer, but you have to know what you're doing. the new processor is called a Spanish Oaks, and its fast. and accurate. but by throwing on a CAI, you're changing the air, and it tends to lean out the a/f ratio. a tune simply sets the optimum mixture to actually get a power advantage from the cold air intake without hurting the engine. when you tune, it downloads the stock computer setting to the SCT/diablo tuner, then uploads the tune that you've purchased. you can switch back to stock by loading it, and it downloads the custom tune you had back to the SCT/diablo tuner. it may sound slightly complicated, but its a matter of pressing a button three or four times. a tuner will REALLY help you out if you throw things like exhaust, under drive pulleys, different octane gas, whatever has potential to create more power. you can put it on the dyno, and see what those other adjustments are doing to the air/fuel ratio, or whatever, and tune it from there. a custom or "canned" tune is set up on one car, for a specific part, like a C&l Intake. its optimum on that car, and sold to thousands of others. sure, it'll work and work really well, but in order to get the most performance from YOUR car, you need it tuned on the dyno where you can see whats happening. changing from tuner to tuner doest matter, as long as you load the stock setting back into the car before changing what tuner you're using. you can also tune a procharger with an SCT, just need someone who knows what their doing and some time to get her hooked up and start recording some numbers. its really a matter of preference. lots of people use lots of different things with similiar results. look at who around you gives support for what. if everyone in the state tunes predators, hey, probably not a bad way to go. 6-1, half dozen to another. help at all?
Old 06-15-2006, 03:28 PM
aTm

Not to bash or give you more of a headache deciding -- it's sad but the decision has been gnawing at my mind for weeks now -- but each forum seems to have a "favorite" tuner. You hear a lot about Evo and Brenspeed here, and on another forum it's all Bamachips.

All three I'm sure are great -- I decided on Evo because of beginning of that 9-page long Evo vs Bren thread. Then I jumped to Bren when I read from Dkano that Bren gave a better (very marginally, probably all due to the difference in temps/passes/driver behavior) 1/4 mile time by .1 s.

Huge I know.

Then I jumped to Bamachips after people (on another forums)were comparing Bren's 93 to Bama's 93 race tune and a poster I respect said that Bama gave slightly better performance with better idle and throttle response.

So I should have Bamachip's JLTII+SCT combo with 93 race tune today/tomorrow. I bet the differences are mostly in people's heads, just throwing in what's in my head from scouring the forums and thinking about which tuner to use for approximately 50 hours longer than I should have.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

hhahah you've switched that many time? did u PERSONALLY experience a difference in the evo to bren tune? i mean a REAL difference? i can see .1 seconds as earth shattering, and id figure it to be vehicle specific, but eh, whatever. seems like a lot of money spent because of what people say.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:29 PM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

some difference between the tuners is some will send new tunes via email and others require the hardware sent back to be reloaded.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:57 PM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

Well im having mine dyno tuned for a JLT 2 CAI with and X-cal2 this weekend by a local SCT tuner. So hopefully that will provide the best results. Just not to sure about those mail order tunes thats all and I stumbled on this SCT tuner by accident really. I was looking for a place to have gears installed and he told me about the deal he had with SCT and the X-cal2. So i jumped on it.....Thats what im doin.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:19 AM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Andys06GT
did it ever occur to you WHY?!?!?!! if you run a tune for an octane that you dont have in your car, you think the A/F ratio will stay the same? he did you a ****ing favor, as well as covin his ***. what happens when you throw the car on the dyno, burn up your engine, cant get it warrantied, then say "well this guy tuned my car and it exploded, wah!" you've seriously got to consider why someone who knows what they are doing, would refuse to do it. you think he DIDNT want the business. im not an Evo advocate any more than another company, but dont go slandering a guys business practice, or for that matter his MORALES, without making some sort of thought process. By the way, he could have run it, possibly destroying your car, and told you to eat his ***, and you'd have NO legal foothold. wow.... what are you 12? he said no to me.....

now if you meant just to put em in the tuner, disregard. no idea. less you wouldnt pay.
What the hell!?!?!?!
Did I say I asked him to put the 93 tune on my car when I had 91 octane in the tank?? NO!!! I went there to get the tunes, not just the 93 one, I asked him if he wasn't even going to give me the 91 tune and he refused, said that the 93 tune was "the killer".!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Dude I'm waiting for your answer too. Hang in there it's coming.
ORIGINAL: Kaldar142

hmmm another question arises though i just realized, i plan to go with a supercharger later down the line, almostt defientely procharger (maybe KB). but like i heard most procharger kits come with the predator, how does that work out if i have the xcal2 tune + c&l cai but then i go to procharge my car? probably a stupid question but hey it doesnt hurt to ask right, will it cause any complications when i go to use the tune provided with the predator?

or actually how about any other mod that needs a tune, i dont understand how it works, can someone explain it to me