Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 or 06 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

Default 04 or 06 Mustang?

Hi all,

Looking for some opinions. I'm looking to trade a Mazda6 for either an 04 or 06 Mustang. My dilemma is cash. I'm upside down on the 6 as I just bought it recently and I've just decided it's not the car for me (if I'm stuck with it, I'm not exactly crying about it as it is a great car in its way).

Anyhow, I'm probably going to have to look into something in the $19k-$20k range. That puts me in the ballpark of a used 04 GT or an 06 V6. I want a manual transmission whichever I get.

Two things I'm looking for mainly are sound and power. Should I even bother with the new V6 in this case, or should I just focus on a good deal on an 04 GT?

Obviously the enhancements of the new models are what's making me consider it. I posted on Stangnet forums as well, and a surprising amount of people have said "get the new V6". I have only had a couple say "get the V8". Is the new car that much better than the old GT that someone would really consider the power loss for the looks and suspension technology?

Some background on myself: I'm coming from an 03 GT auto, so I know what those cars are like. I've not been able to find a V6 manual to drive it. Most of them are autos, which I do not want. I've always had autos, and I am tired of them and want the control of a manual. I enjoy driving as it is one of my favorite hobbies if not my favorite.

I've test driven an 06 GT 5-speed and I loved it. Everything in me wants that car, but the payments will just be too high. Maybe in a couple years I could get one, but as of now I can't.

I think if I'm willing to wait a couple of years I could get a good used 06 GT for around $20k or less probably. A new one can be ordered for around $25k, so I don't see why 2 years from now (maybe even 1) I couldn't do better than that.

I'm very impatient, and I've been thinking about a GT again ever since I traded mine. So I'm eager to get back into one. I'm used to the V8 power, and I think the V6 could be dissapointing in that area (as well as sound, as I've heard a few aftermarket exhaust on a V6 and I just don't think they're the best sounding car when compared to an older or newer GT).

That's my take on things at the moment. Any opinions from everyone would sure help!

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:35 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 04 or 06 Mustang?

Im gonna have to say either 1: Get the 04 GT or 2: Find a good deal on 05 GTs. They're out there, used. You can find them, if you look hard enough.

Either way you're gonna end up with a great car!
Old 06-15-2006, 07:03 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

for the price your looking at, you should be able to find an 03-04 mach 1
Old 06-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Remrats1234
3rd Gear Member

u can for defintily find an 05 in that price range, or u can wait a while untill the 07s are out and buy an 06 used
Old 06-15-2006, 11:05 PM
slickyboy88

I would have to say that I agree with everyone else. You can find used 05's for around that price range if you look hard enough. I used to own a 00' GT and had an accident that totalled it. Since I am stationed in England at the moment not too many people are willing to part with their Mustangs and I had to do with what I could find out here because I won't drive anything else. I best I could find was a V6 and it is alright but sorely dissapointing in the long wrong when most of my buddies have 05 GT's or 06's. I can't wait to get back into a V8 and I think that you will regret missing the power and the rumble being that you have owned a V8 previously. Besides, the V8's are stronger engines and tend to last a lot longer in the long run. JMO though, take it for what it's worth.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

I can't find an 05 stang in the $20k range, that's my problem. That would be a sure fire go right there. It would need to have under 20k miles on it also, or at least close to that. I put 30k miles a year on a car typically. [&:] I love to drive, so that's a good thing! My girlfriend lives 30 minutes approx from me, so that's the main reason I get all those miles. It's worth it!

Depending on how impatient I am, I'm going to either go with an 04 GT or if I can find an excellent deal on an 05, that. I truly want the 05 as it has it all, but money is an issue and I don't know that I'll be making a lot more anytime soon, so... I have to look at that and go with what I can.

Is the 05-06 GT that much better, other than body style, that I should consider it heavily over the 04 GT? Since I had an 03 GT I sort of know about those cars. I drove it for about 55k miles and loved it, except for it being auto (which wasn't that bad either! ).

Ultimately I want an 05+, no doubt. But I liked the 99-04 enough that I could have one of those again if it is that or nothing. I just don't know that the V6 would be an option since I'm used to V8 in the Stang, like slickyboy88 mentioned.

Thanks guys! Anymore input would be great too.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:18 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

def the 04 GT. if you get the v6, you might as well keep ur mazda
Old 06-16-2006, 01:41 PM
lynwood78
3rd Gear Member

Have you tried eBay?
Old 06-16-2006, 02:13 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Yes. There is really that big of an improvement over the 04s.

Either get an 03-04 Mach1 or find an 05 Used. Seriously, that's about the best two choices you have.

Ebay and Autotrader are your friends.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

I've been looking on Carmax, Ebay and Autotrader. Thanks for the tip!

The lowest priced 05 GT I've found was $23,588 at Carmax. They had two, almost identical ones in two different locations for the same price. They were listed for 2 days I think, and they are already gone. At least I didn't see them anymore. Anyway, I want to try to find one more local so I can take a look at it without having to pay a transfer fee.

There's a new 06 GT at the local Ford dealer, and man they gave me a good deal on it, I just can't afford the monthly payments. Makes me want scream.

What I need to find is a good used base GT Deluxe. One of those should go for $22.5 or less.

Quick Reply: 04 or 06 Mustang?