Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 03:07 PM
vdogg

Default Sirius radio

Does anyone out there have a plug and play sirius radio in their stang? I just got one but I'm not sure where to wire through. The manual say to mount the antenna on the trunk but I have a convertible and I'd rather mount it by the other antenna(easier access throught through the door). I'm not sure if it'll cause interference though. Thanks...

...bye the way I just discovered this site ans I love it! great info! this is my first stang
Old 06-16-2006, 03:32 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Sirius radio

Mine is on the trunk. I think it was the best spot. I've had it on three vehicles and I like the trunk the most.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:03 PM
RGMoose

I have mine with the antenna on the dash. It doesn't work well, cuts out alot. On a post monday about xm
I was told that you can gain acess to the trunk in a vert easily. the horizontial line across the back seat about 2/3's down put your hand in the crease and it drops right into the trunk. I checked it out and it looks easy. going to mount mine this weekend good luck
Old 06-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vdogg

Does anyone out there have a plug and play sirius radio in their stang? I just got one but I'm not sure where to wire through. The manual say to mount the antenna on the trunk but I have a convertible and I'd rather mount it by the other antenna(easier access throught through the door). I'm not sure if it'll cause interference though. Thanks...

...bye the way I just discovered this site ans I love it! great info! this is my first stang
Man, I don't want to sound like I'm smacking your sirius around, but I would get XM.

The reason I say that is because I've had 3 sirius players (whoever they contract to make them) and they have all screwed up. I think the players are cheap for some reason. Here's the run down:

*First player (starmate) - mount broke, all by itself. It was a strong windshield suction cup mount. I have no idea how it broke - just got in my car one day and it was laying on my dash. [:@] My girlfriend now uses the first player, and it's getting bad reception even though it's in the wide-open. Makes no sense. Plus the screen goes all red if it gets slightly warm....
*Second player (xact) - Completely stopped working after having it 2 weeks. Couldn't get signal anymore because it was overheating.
*Third player (visor - one I use currently) - half of the screen pixels "die" randomly on the right side.

I guess the same crap could happen with XM. I haven't used their players yet. I'm seriously considering switching though. I'm tired of sirius's crap players.

If you haven't installed it yet I'd take it back. You have to pay a $30 activation fee anyway, so if you haven't done that I'd save yourself while you can!

Maybe you'll have good luck with it, who knows. I'm also the one who's had his Bel RX65 radar detector in for repair twice because it just stops working. I'm sick of expensive things going down the tubes like pieces of junk.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:01 PM
vdogg

Thanks I'll look when I get home
Old 06-16-2006, 06:07 PM
vdogg

I looked at XM but decided on sirius because of the stations, which is lame but I think I need the NFL network! I'm gonna stick it out and see. For once I decided to get the optional warranty for $40 for 4 years so hopefully I'll be ok

Old 06-16-2006, 06:15 PM
tsaints1115
1st Gear Member

I have the Sportster Replay and have had no problems. I use the suction mount on the dash with the antena coiled up and zip tied setting right on the dash next to the mount. I have no dropouts and since everything is in one bundle I can undo the mount and move to my wifes van or stick it in the glovebox. XM doesn`t have near the content that Sirius does and is losing more everyyear.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:06 PM
DragonStang

I have the Sportster Replay, mounted with the Legends-VSM from Pro.Fit...no problems at all, antenna is mounted on the rear deck.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:24 PM
RStone13
1st Gear Member

I also have the Sportster, no prob's
Old 06-16-2006, 10:05 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

I put mine, along with the GPS antenna on the deck between the truck lid and the storage pan for the top. That way I could secure the wires tighter because they didn't have to move with the truck lid. Reception is good both on the radio and the GPS and it wasn't all that hard to run. You have to pop apart some of the back seat trim and then secure the wires carefully so they don't get caught up in the top mechanism. It's a bit tight for work space but it's only an hour or so of work.