Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cars did Ford have in mind when they created the GT500?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 03:13 AM
GT67_ORGN

Default RE: Which cars did Ford have in mind when they created the GT500?

Honestly, Id rather get an 06 Mustang GT and mod the hell out of it, including FI, than getting a GT500. Its just so much more fun modding your car to your preferece.

Its also cheaper
Old 06-18-2006, 03:16 AM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Dejavoo...
Old 06-18-2006, 03:29 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

They are making an overpriced pontoon boat of a mustang for old men who really need towncars but want something that rides nice with just a bit of low-end torque to have fun with. No real intent in racing or speed. Why couldn't they put better tires on the car and ditch the speed limiter. That car should be doing every bit of 170 or better. I really wish they would have done it more like they did the past cobras, performace first, but still a bit of exclusivity and class. I personally would have done it like the 2000 Cobra R, all performance but I understand people want to take out there dates in there badass cobras.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:58 AM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

Mustang's don't compete ....... they dominate.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

The Gt500 was initially penciled in to compete with the vettes. The car originally was going to get some better equipment (screw blower, aluminum block, etc) But Ford ran into a price wall. Ford was more concerned about keeping the base price low vs. the car's performance. So as price hurdles came about, Ford went the $ saving route, vs. the performance route. They threw an iron block in it increasing the weight substancially, but keeping their cost down. Pretty soon, Ford's original concept vs. the final product were 2 very different things. Ford had originally thought it would be lighter, thus helping to bridge the gap with vettes. (Lighter helps everything; braking, cornering, acceleration). Keeping the car at the price they wanted it, they sacrificed the car's weight and powerband for price. And, all of a sudden, you have an obese, overwight car that needs the Jenny Craig plan, bad. Ford sacrificed performance for price, something they should not have done with the name "Shelby" on the car. Hell, the car didn't even get forged rods. (Frowning at Ford)[>:]
Old 06-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

The Gt500 was initially penciled in to compete with the vettes. The car originally was going to get some better equipment (screw blower, aluminum block, etc) But Ford ran into a price wall. Ford was more concerned about keeping the base price low vs. the car's performance. So as price hurdles came about, Ford went the $ saving route, vs. the performance route. They threw an iron block in it increasing the weight substancially, but keeping their cost down. Pretty soon, Ford's original concept vs. the final product were 2 very different things. Ford had originally thought it would be lighter, thus helping to bridge the gap with vettes. (Lighter helps everything; braking, cornering, acceleration). Keeping the car at the price they wanted it, they sacrificed the car's weight and powerband for price. And, all of a sudden, you have an obese, overwight car that needs the Jenny Craig plan, bad. Ford sacrificed performance for price, something they should not have done with the name "Shelby" on the car. Hell, the car didn't even get forged rods. (Frowning at Ford)[>:]
Are you serious!! Sounds like ford cheaped out and everyone is losing between the car not meeting peoples expectations and the car being seriously marked up. Especially for a car that could see production of up to 10,000 a year. What a horrible way for SVT to go out. I hope they comeback with something real in time for the new camaro and challenger should they debut.