Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BE CAREFUL SLP LOUDMOUTHS LOOSE HORSEPOWER.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 03:52 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: BE CAREFUL SLP LOUDMOUTHS LOOSE HORSEPOWER.

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

Settle down everyone, there's actually truth in both arguments being presented here. If you replace a stock exhaust system with one that flows much more freely (particularly if you remove the cats) and make no other changes, your car may indeed lose power. The reason is because it causes the car to run more lean. In the old days you had to rejet your carb to compensate, but these days if the change is small the car's computer will adjust for it. Here's an article related to this subject, it's for BMWs but you'll get the general idea:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm
Exactly, less backpressure is better. Modern cars dont run carbs and will have no problems adjusting to new exhaust, and certainly will not lose power because of it, also running lean doesnt necessarily make you lose power...that really depends on HOW lean youre running. Yes I agree if you increase your A/F to something like 17:1 then youll lose power but if your AFR goes up .05-.1 you wont be able to notice a thing, especially without a dyno. Not to mention this new Spanish Oak the Stang has. Its supposed to be one of the best computers made and even has a sort of "AI" in that it can "learn" your driving habits and adjust the computer accordingly. No matter what I still stick by my physics.... laws of nature leave no room for argument IMHO... then again, what do I know, Im not an engine expert, just a mechanical engineering student.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:07 AM
Reaper
2nd Gear Member

ok so let me get this stright, im planing on buying a midpipe withOUT cats on it.. and i have flowmaster mufflers on my car right now, so will i lose or gain power from this mod? i was planing with going with a O/R H PIPE from MAC.. ivv heard a lot of good things about MAC midpipes and a few bad things, but thats with everything so i feel confindent about going with the MAC's.. anyway... will i lose or gain HP?
Old 06-18-2006, 04:14 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

You will gain... scratching the cats nets a big gain from what I hear (as well as producing a throatier sound). As I have said multiple times already... less resistance for exhaust to exit the pipe = less backpressure = more HP. If you want huge gains, go with no cats and long tube headers.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:19 AM
Reaper
2nd Gear Member

ok good, cause i dont want to loose anything.. yeah i would if i had the cash.. right now i think the midpipe will do just fine. thx for your help!
Old 06-18-2006, 04:23 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

Exactly, less backpressure is better.
LOL! I think you missed the boat, have a look at the article again. It would be more accurate to say "less backpressure is not worse".

Old 06-18-2006, 04:27 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Reaper, check your local laws before removing your cat's. If you have emissions inspections like we have here in TX, you will fail if your cats are removed. You're talking insignificant gains anyway. Opening up the exhaust on a new Mustang running less than 400 HP is basically not going to give any benefits because the stock exhaust already flows pretty good.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:37 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

Exactly, less backpressure is better.
LOL! I think you missed the boat, have a look at the article again. It would be more accurate to say "less backpressure is not worse".

OK.. so saying it is better is subjective and can only be proven on a dyno, which I cant do, so Ill retract and agree with "less back pressure is not worse"
Old 06-18-2006, 04:42 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Reaper, check your local laws before removing your cat's. If you have emissions inspections like we have here in TX, you will fail if your cats are removed. You're talking insignificant gains anyway. Opening up the exhaust on a new Mustang running less than 400 HP is basically not going to give any benefits because the stock exhaust already flows pretty good.
This however, I have to question. Many people on here have claimed that trading in their headers, and pipes for a full open/no cat system has given them upwards of 30-35 hp.. thats not my idea of insignificant.. Yes these are JUST claims, but Im not willing to disregard them as of yet because I have yet to do them myself. I do agree though, that Ford did an excellent job on the stock exhaust. It is much more efficient and is damn good for a stock system, quite an improvement over earlier years.

Also take Tres's advice and dont remove cats if you live in a state with emissions testing. He lives in Tex, he knows his emissions [8D]
Old 06-18-2006, 05:22 AM
2GKT5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pony Up

I see a bunch of stuff about the LM's here lately. Yes they are loud (do sound like a blugging boat at idle though) and they do sound good but when I called SLP directly and asked their teck about horse power issues hew did tell me the Loudmouths "DO make the 05-06 Mustangs loose horsepower". He said in order for the set to make sense one must use headers and off road mid pipes amunst other things. He said and I quote "Most dummies just like the sound and are sport car want to be's" as he chuckled. Said they did many different dyno"s to prove this.

Hmmm. Made me think of something else. I did ask if the Power flos had issuse and he said they "DID NOT rid the car of any horsepower". I did buy the Power Flos instead of the Loudmouths. They do have a deeper rumble but are not as "loud" as the LM's.
Just thought I"d chime in and let people who want horsepower "gains" know.
I think someone with the Power Flos just heard the Loudmouths in person and is PO'd
Old 06-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Reaper
2nd Gear Member

why does everybody have o/r then??. and why was everybody telling me to get the off roads until now?

Quick Reply: BE CAREFUL SLP LOUDMOUTHS LOOSE HORSEPOWER.