Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy Lube screwing people over

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 11:38 AM
danam
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Jiffy Lube screwing people over

I took my 2003 Crown Vic there for a transmission oil change a year ago, only had 21K miles on the car at that time. About two months later I started having trouble with the shifting from 55mph on to overdrive. I took it to my buddy at the dealer and the tranny was screwed up, lots of heat damage and said these tranny require a real filter change, drop the pan, etc not the purge system they do at Jiffy Lube. My tranny was replaced under the warranty but what a pain the *****. Stay away from them.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:54 AM
matto1975
2nd Gear Member

I do most of the upgrades to my car myself because of the satisfaction. I get my oil changed in quick lube places simply because I am too lazy to crawl under the car and do it myself. I never leave the bay when it is getting done though. They have asked me many times to leave the area but I always tell them that I won't leave my car unattended. I actually found a shop by my house where the guys are cool and we just shoot the breeze while the work is being done.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:24 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

I was at a fast lube oil change place, they told me my transmission fluid needed changing. Never did get that done and oddly ever since they have never said it needed changing despite checking it every time since that particular time about 2 years ago... go figure!
Old 07-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richmod

Side question - do you have to follow the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule to keep you warranty valid? Some people have said they don't take their cars in for anything except warranty repair work. So if you don't go in for scheduled maintenance (not oil changes, the other stuff - inspect this, inspect that, adjust this, etc.) doesn't that void your warranty?
Yes, you have to follow the manufactures recommended maintenance schedule or the dealer could void parts of your warranty. For example if you don’t have some type of proof you changed your engine oil and filter every 5,000 miles and then blow the motor up the dealer or Ford could void the warranty on the motor.

So, you have a few options. First you can always take it into the dealer for all the scheduled maintenance BUT keep the receipts they give you. Do not just assume since you take it in it will be on their records or stored in a database somewhere for later retrieval. ALWAYS keep hard copies of any maintenance completed.

Second, you can take it to an independent shop to perform the maintenance but you want to insure the products they use (i.e oil, filters, etc) meet Fords specifications and again KEEP all receipts for all work completed and insure they are dated and show the mileage when done.

Third, and the one I use, is to do any possible maintenance myself. I keep a log book and write down all maintenance I have done, date, and mileage. I keep all receipts for any products I purchase (i.e. oil, filters, etc) in the log book. The receipts are dated and sometimes I may buy extra supplies when there is a sale. For example I may buy 18qts of oil if there is a sale.

I take that receipt and write the date I used 6qts of oil for an oil change right on the receipt. This way you have evidence to provide the dealer should they or Ford challenge you about performing maintenance.

Right in the owners or maintenance manual, supplied with the vehicle, there is a stipulation about how the owner should keep receipts for maintenance performed should it be needed to prove maintenance was completed. It doesn’t state anything about proof that the materials used must meet Fords specifications but if it is something like oil they can take samples from the car and determine if it actually meets Ford specifications.

NOTE:

To those of you who use these quick change places you better hope what ever oil they are putting in your vehicle meets Fords specifications as well because if not you could find yourself paying out of pocket to replace a motor. Just because required maintenance has been completed does NOT mean you are covered should you need warranty repairs…
Old 07-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Justabear
2nd Gear Member

Pay the dealer, have it done right, think how much money you have tied up in the car vs. the extra you pay to have it done right. Had a buddy who leased a car, had to have the tranny fluid changed as part of the lease (scheduled maintenance required), discount joint left out the drain plug, he made it about a mile down the road till it went up in smoke.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Justabear

Pay the dealer, have it done right, think how much money you have tied up in the car vs. the extra you pay to have it done right. Had a buddy who leased a car, had to have the tranny fluid changed as part of the lease (scheduled maintenance required), discount joint left out the drain plug, he made it about a mile down the road till it went up in smoke.
When did this start happening? "paying the dealer to have it done right."[&:]
Old 07-02-2006, 08:21 PM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wildabouthorses

I was at a fast lube oil change place, they told me my transmission fluid needed changing. Never did get that done and oddly ever since they have never said it needed changing despite checking it every time since that particular time about 2 years ago... go figure!
My daughter was told her trans fluid needed to be changed, at one of those places................................. She asked them what fluid goes in a M/T........ She declined the work.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:22 PM
vicmeldrew
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: olym4gery

ORIGINAL: wildabouthorses

My daughter was told her trans fluid needed to be changed, at one of those places................................. She asked them what fluid goes in a M/T........ She declined the work.
jiffy lube and their clones are just out there to rip off ignorant people from their money...another one is you need a new fuel filter $40.00...just be aware. i used to take my taurus there for an oil change and i got tired of the crap so now if i dont do it myself i just tell whoever and if you bring back any part from my car i am walking with no payment...LOL