Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please!!!! Outlaw cell phones while driving!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:58 PM
ranebowcyxx
BadAss 13-sec N/A 4.0L

Default RE: Please!!!! Outlaw cell phones while driving!!!!!

I still pay more attention on my hands free phone than 99% of the idiots on the road. Ask my wife, she constantly hears me bitching about what some moron did.
I don't care if they outlaw cell phone use while driving;
but then they better outlaw driving while eating (seen two accidents for this one myself), drinking, talking to the kids in the back, turning around to slap said kids, start ticketing people that don;t use turn signals (for those people I would buy the first hunting license).
Be careful what you wish for when you ask the government to intervene on your behalf, next thing someone may decide that your tinted windows are a danger, or your modified exhaust is too loud for someone to hear a horn (even if it isn't), someone may decide that since most states have a 65 MPH speed limit someone may ask the government to limit the top speed of your car.

Government intervention is indeed a slippery slope.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:08 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

Id keep bashing people that talk while driving but that would be like me complaining at people racing on the street... every once in a while i do it... [&:]

But i actually drive the same whether im talking or not (unlike some people)
Old 06-22-2006, 07:29 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: underbird10

ORIGINAL: hammeron

i'm very sorry to report that Government can't solve all of
our problems, sometimes people have to be responsible for
their own actions.

sorry but i have to vote against your proposal.

"Please!!!! Outlaw cell phones while driving!!"
You know, I'd agree with you that the "government" can't solve all of our problems. However, it should be "we the people" making the laws, not politicians. I have no faith whatsoever that some baby-hugging politican is going to do my work for me, that's why I posted the comment on this forum; just to hear what everyone has to say on the subject. You know, just to kinda take everyone's temperature.

UB10
I agree with you. I'm against most forms of legislation. However, the fact is 49 states and two territories in the U.S. have seat belt laws. Those laws ONLY serve to ensure that I am taking responsibility for MY OWN safety. Heck, here in Illinois, we have road blocks to ensure that you are providing for your own safety. But cell phones are not only a matter of personal safety, but public safety as well. The point of legislation USED TO BE to fulfill a "compelling public interest." Legislation should be intended to protect the public from dangers and risks outside their own control and responsibility. If you're not buckled in, I, as a member of the general public, really don't care. If you're talking on a phone and not paying attention, you're posing a potential hazard to me, and then, I DO care.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:53 PM
scubadog
I ♥ Acer

OUTSTANDING! [sm=shootshoot.gif]
Old 06-22-2006, 08:43 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

Cell phones are great, don't know what you guys are talking about. I find them quite handy, takes my mind off of traffic snarls and driving pressures, when I'm zipping down the road yackin on my cell I haven't a care in the world. J/K .

Really burns my butt to see someone jacking their jaw, more than likely about nothing. Try taking a driving test while on a cell phone and see if you pass.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:04 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

I would love to get a bumper sticker that says "hang up your phone, or I will", and a picture of a fist next to it.

hey...thats really similar to my "shut your kids up, or I will" t-shirt
Old 06-22-2006, 10:29 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

Well, this was a coincidence. I was just reading this subject earlier today and on the way home some dumbass yaking on his cell phone changes lanes out of stopped traffic right in front of me. I was going about 80 and he was maybe 35. I did find the brakes on the GT work pretty damn good and got me stopped quick and under control. Fortunately the guy behind me in the jacked up F150 with the 34" wheels that couldn't stop so fast had the presence of mind to shift over onto the shoulder and avoid running straight over both of us. He was totally oblivious to what almost just happened right behind him.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Country1969
2nd Gear Member

Not all people using the phones are brain dead, that they cant see whats going on around them.But whats the difference if you talk on the cell phone or listen too your loud music? How about screaming kids in the back seat? Or how about the people smoking...lighting up a smoke when the light is green or fumbling for the lighter.
Also most phones have speaker phone feature or headset feature and you still find this also wrong to use it while driving.

I work at a sporting goods store and most truck drivers use their phones while driving to find directions to our store. We stay on the phone with them and guide them to the store. You think they can stop every 2 feet and get back on the phone.

I'm not saying that its safe to use it while driving but theres other things that should causes accidents not just cell phones.
Drinking, road rage, speeding, STUPID DRIVERS.

Here in PA. they are trying to get people to use seat belts. While, I think, not so long ago they past a law that you are not required to wear a helmet on a motorcycle. Where are the brains of those people that pass that law?

Then you have this:Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did not have a valid motorcycle license when he crashed into a woman's car last week. Roethlisberger will be issued $388 US in fines and fees for riding without a license and not wearing a helmet, police Collision Investigator Dan Connolly said Monday.

Only licensed motorcyclists are allowed to ride without head gear in Pennsylvania, with certain restrictions.

How about making helmets a law once again? That would be nice.

Anyways, cell phone use is a everyday thing. People will bitch about people using them here and there. But when you are lying on the road injured, you will need someone will a cell phone. Maybe the person driving by.

I am not sticking up for people using cell phones while driving nor I am for people eating,drinking (not talking about alcohol - soda,juice,water) talking, smoking.

Like someone mentioned, Turn Signals. --- No turn signals while changing lanes or turning is a better chance of getting into an accident. How many times you see that in a day.

Headlights - fine people for one headlight. Very dangerous at night - looks like a motorcycle until they approach you.
Brake lights - get them fixed, so we can tell if you are stopping.
Speed Limits - We all break them - you cant say you havent done this. If you go on I-81 here, 65 you are slow.
Seat belts - dont cause accidents - if you dont use them its your choice. You know some of you dont use them. They say they save lives. Tell that to the people whos cars flipped over and still died. Or how about their cars exploding on impact. I was in a few accidents over 18 years and the one time I WORE a seat belt, I had more injuries from the seat belt all over my body. You could tell where the seat belt ran.

Just like ranebowcyxx said, Watch what you wish for. They can outlaw exhaust system that are too loud. Here tinted windows are outlawed unless they are factory.

If you want to complain about cell phone use, how about in the MOVIES.... Bring that up.. Stop annoying people with them ringing during the movie.
Shut them off.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Remrats1234
3rd Gear Member

u kno whats really bad....a dumbass who is on the cell phone while driving
Old 06-22-2006, 10:59 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

my daughter was t boned by a guy on a cell about 8 years ago who ran a red light as she was in a green light signal turning left in front of him. car totaled ...she bruised and lucky. I pull over and then return a call...I never answer mine while driving and never talk while driving.

Cell phone did come in handy when my husband and I went down on the bike last saturday. Hubby told friend to call our kids and gave their names and the paramedics gave the friend his cell. Hubby couldn't move as his left foot that was under the bike was turned completely around. He was lifeflighted here to this hospital i'm sitting in right now using a laptop. I was sent to the local hospital near where we went down and the friend came up and hands me my hubby's cell, his has more phone numbers that we needed to get ahold of than my cell does... I'd like to see a law that outlaws talking on a cell phone,weve had too many close calls on the bike with cell talkers nearly running us over due to being on a cell and not paying attention

Quick Reply: Please!!!! Outlaw cell phones while driving!!!!!