Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please!!!! Outlaw cell phones while driving!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 01:20 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Please!!!! Outlaw cell phones while driving!!!!!

However the main reason for seat belt laws is to save the rest of us, with common sense and knowledge, from being FORCED to pay for stupid peoples decisions, like not wanting to wear a seat belt, or not wanting to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle.

Here is the deal, I am all for a motorcycle rider who wishes to ride their bike with NO helmet, so long as I nor anyone else has to pay for their hospital bills or long term care at home, when they run out of their own money tough love my friend you’ll be on the street looking for shelter, same for someone seriously hurt in an auto accident who did NOT wear their seat belt. Now if it’s not their fault no problem because the other person will be responsible.

If I'm not mistaken, in Florida you can ride a motorcycle on the highway without a helmet, but not a bicycle. How stupid is that?[sm=WTFsgign.gif]
Old 06-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

The issue with cell phones, that makes them far worse than eating while driving or anything like that, is that you actually have to think while you're using them. It's a lot different when you're listening to music loud and can't hear things around you than when you're talking on a cell phone not even thinking about what you're doing driving. Hands free cell phones don't solve this, they just free up a hand, as long as ou have to be thinking abou tthe conversation at hand your driving is impaired and there's no law short of outlawing cell phones and driving. That isn't to say I'm for it, I'm just saying that I believe that's what makes cell phones in herently worse than other distractions.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-24-2006, 03:16 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

Look out for that Mother of Three in the silver Suburban..... She can't.

UB10
Old 06-24-2006, 05:03 PM
jet22
2nd Gear Member

I'm just guna move to florida, they passed a law, if you feel threatened you can SHOOT...

so some idiot on a cell phone cuts me off.
I slam on the breaks and honk.
he flips me off...
and I feel threatend
out comes the RPG-7
Old 06-24-2006, 05:22 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

The problem isn't talkin on cell phones per se. It is IDIOT ppl behind the wheel. These idiots......the ones who NEVER use turn signals, ride on ppl's ***, can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time, can't talk to someone else in the car without looking at them, can't make a 3 minute trip down the road without having to search for a change of CD's in their backseat, and think that the rest of the road will just magically correct for their shortsightedness...............these ppl should not be allowed to operate a motorvehicle, let alone operate a cell phone and drive at the same time.

I make it a habit not to answer my cell phone in my 05 cuz its a stick. I have, in the past, talked on my cell phone while in my V6 auto. But my attention at those times is prioritized to the road, not my conversation. In fact, my g/f got to the point where she wouldn't bother to call me if she knew I was driving because I was more concerned with my driving than paying attention to her. Heh.

In the end, it all comes down to the kind of driver someone is and where their priorities are. And it's not just cell phone usage. I've almost been rearended by ppl talkin to ppl in the backseat before. Should we start making it illegal to have passengers? Or how about making it illegal to talk to someone in the car while you drive? Or fiddle with your mp3 player? Or to not use turn signals or follow too close to ppl in front of you...oh, oh wait..............it IS illegal to do those.

Yes, cell phones are a big distraction to ppl with short attention spans (which must be at least 75% of Americans). But it's really how good a driver someone is that really determines what they can and can't handle doing in the car. If you can't keep your focus on the road while talking to someone (be it a passenger or someone on the cell phone), then odds are you are not that great a driver to begin with.........and are a risk to others on the road in some form or another, period. Argue that all you want, but I've NEVER almost hit anyone or caused someone to almost wreck because I couldn't take my focus off of a conversation I was having while driving. Can any of you say the same?
Old 06-24-2006, 05:27 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: snogoldi

They say driving while using a cell phone is as bad as driving under the influence of alcohol.
I'd believe it. Way back when mobile phones were a new thing, I had my bag phone in the car with me and someone called while at a light. Chatted for a second to set an appointment, hung up, and proceeded to run right through the light. Somehow my distracted brain connected end of call with light change. I was lucky that no one was coming the other way. After that, anyone that calls while I'm driving gets the voice mail.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-24-2006, 06:38 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ssoss

LOL.
Somehow, since no one was hurt, that story seemed really funny. End of Call != Light Change

Drew
I laughed about it later that day after the "oh crap, I almost killed myself" adrenaline hit wore off. It was in my barely off the dealer lot Jeep too.