Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Paper Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:42 PM
RabidCharlie
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Stock Paper Speakers

Anyone have the Sony 5" x 7" Speakers (XS-V5742A) in their 05/06 Mustangs with Shaker 500? I just noticed they are on sale at Circuit City for only $53.99 a pair.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...c=1&oid=146011
Old 06-23-2006, 11:03 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

You might try looking at Ebay. Prices on various car speakers are VERY competitive. I bought TWO PAIRS of Inifinity Referance speakers, shipped to my door, brand new, full warranty for $70.

The newer Sony speakers aren't bad at all. Though, I would choose 2-ways before a 3- or 4-way speaker. The reason is that the whatever linearity or range you would gain by having the extra drivers in those speakers is easily offset by the shoddy crossovers found in them. Any more than a 2-way is more marketing than it is performance.

Also, the front door speakers aren't bad in our cars--at least if you have a Shaker system originally. (Those are the upper ones in the image posted at the top of this thread) They are two-way plate speakers (seperates, even!). The ones you REALLY need to replace are the rear deck speakers. Those are crap.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:12 PM
RabidCharlie
1st Gear Member

Thanks CrazyAl! Since I'll be limited on funds from the wife, I'll go for replacing the rear deck speakers first. Wow, great price on the infinity speakers. Thanks for the info on 2,3,4 way speakers.

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

You might try looking at Ebay. Prices on various car speakers are VERY competitive. I bought TWO PAIRS of Inifinity Referance speakers, shipped to my door, brand new, full warranty for $70.

The newer Sony speakers aren't bad at all. Though, I would choose 2-ways before a 3- or 4-way speaker. The reason is that the whatever linearity or range you would gain by having the extra drivers in those speakers is easily offset by the shoddy crossovers found in them. Any more than a 2-way is more marketing than it is performance.

Also, the front door speakers aren't bad in our cars. (Those are the upper ones in the image posted at the top of this thread) They are two-way plate speakers. The ones you REALLY need to replace are the rear deck speakers. Those are crap.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:37 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Sounds good. I think changing them will be on my long term to-do list after I do the CAI and tune.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:33 AM
darkfact
2nd Gear Member

hmm, factory states the front and rear specs are 6x8" slots. looking at crutchfield (since i'm a stereo novice), it seems some 5x7" will fit that slot.

is 6x8 and 5x7 just interchangeable in general or only certain speakers/brands??
Old 06-24-2006, 12:36 AM
RabidCharlie
1st Gear Member

I saw the same thing on Crutchfield for the 5x7 Sonys and a few others as far as being 6x8s. The good thing about Crutchfield, they tell you exactly what wiring harness/brackets you need for each speaker set. I noticed the Sony 5x7s don't need any extra hardware, bolt right in.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:38 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

How involved is it removing the rear parcel shelf in order to replace those pieces of ****?

Old 06-24-2006, 12:44 AM
darkfact
2nd Gear Member

also, does the shaker 500 have run off an amp or is it purely head unit powered??
Old 06-24-2006, 02:44 AM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: praztek

How involved is it removing the rear parcel shelf in order to replace those pieces of ****?

Not very hard. Just pull the cover pieces off. They just pull right off, clipped in. Then open the trunk, remove the connector from the speaker. Then go back inside, and there are 4 torx(don't know the size off hand) screws holding teh speaker. Unscrew them and pull them out.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:52 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, thinking of going with the Infiniti's that CrazyAl mentioned earlier.

Model number for the Infiniti's?, or any other recommendations for a little more deep base.

Quick Reply: Stock Paper Speakers