Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&B cold air intake install- comments

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 10:26 AM
5 speed GT

Default S&B cold air intake install- comments

Well, I must start by saying I got a unit without the proper hardware, the dealer was nowhere in the picture after they sold it to me. So after repeated calls to the manufacturer (and yes you would get the right hardware now thanks to me) I have installed. The claims are installation without installing a new tune on the computer. Those claims are TRUE. I have no check engine light and took a trip with it.

Facts: it is said to increase based on an article in 5.0 mag, 17 rear wheel horsepower. I believe this to be the case at 4-6200 RPM. It gets squirrly in the rear now at 4000(pretty impressive considering I am running big meats in the rear Nitto 555s 275/35/20's). My low end however, especially if cruising along and punching it, was affected, it now bogs down low. yes, it is true that you can hear it now where you couldnt before, but I believe the crispness had before with stock airbox is gone. -that is a negative to me as the little V8 in these cars absolutely does not produce enough low end/torque.

Those claims everyone makes about adding an airtube and gas mileage increases; FALSE. Most of you are not buying it for that which is good cause my highway mileage suffered about 1.2MPG. Not good in my book. I will say, by looking at the exhaust tips, it is running richer, not leaner as most of the claims of adding a kit without a tune claim. I can see some deposits where before the engine was burning clean.

In summation, its an OK kit but truly needs a tuning product to get the most out of it. When I spoke to their tech, they claimed that since I had a Magnaflow Cat back it could be causing the issue now of too much flow-at least with the stock tune.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:15 PM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: S&B cold air intake install- comments

It will give better gas milage......if we keep our foot out of it, which you are right. Thats not why we bought the intakes.