Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 X 9 Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 09:42 PM
darkfact
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 6 X 9 Speakers

hey praz,
just got my mtx amp in the mail today to power my kenwoods. got 2 sets of the speakers coming, according to ups they'll arrive on wed so i'm looking at a sat install. i'll let you know how they work out man
Old 07-03-2006, 10:29 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Appreciate it, keep us posted. What model mtx amp did you get?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2006, 01:34 AM
darkfact
2nd Gear Member

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ajGhIyI...=mtx+amplifier
Old 07-04-2006, 02:17 AM
IA_Chiefs_fan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: praztek

Any info yet on those kenwoods fitting the front doors?

Thanks
Sorry to leave you hanging. I have them in my doors now. I was working on the amp/sub install while a friend of mine put the 6X8s in. I don't know if he had to "make them fit." They look good and sound great though! If you're afraid to try it get the C6880ie for the front and the X680 for the back. Then again if you get them from crutchfield you can always return them if they don't fit well enough to your liking.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:23 AM
darkfact
2nd Gear Member

got it installed today finally praz. the kenwood x680's fit perfectly in the front and rear and the amp installs pretty cleanly on the back of the folding rear seats. system sounds like a dream compared to the stock ****.

here's a link to some installed amp pics i posted on another thread:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1627707/...tm.htm#1634203
Old 07-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Sevalley
1st Gear Member

I replaced my 4 stock speakers with kenwood 3 way 6x8s. I have the stock stereo (not shaker) and I just cut the wires at the ends, connected the kenwoods, and screwed them into the stock locations. I noticed NO improvement in the sound quality. I was very dissapointed and dont think its worth the effort of removing the speakers and reinstalling the stock ones since itts too late to return the speakers anyway (ebay maybe?). I dont know if the lack of improvement is because:
1) the stock head unit sucks so bad that no speaker will sound good with it
2) i HAVE to get an amp in order to give aftermarket speakers the clean juice they need to sound decent
3) the kenwood speakers I bought suck ***
4) the stock speakers werent that bad to begin with
5) installation mistake (eg... i should have bought a wiring harness for each speaker instead of cutting the wire, but I dont see how this would make a diff in sound quality).

Any advice guys???
Old 07-12-2006, 05:42 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I don't like 3-ways (or even, worse 4-ways) in cars.

The reason is that any gain in linearity you would theoretically get from having the "extra" elements is cancelled out by the shoddy crossovers used in these speakers. Even very "high end" speakers like MB Quarts with external crossovers are of mediocre quality at best (the crossover, not the speaker). As earlier posters have said, 3-ways is all marketing!

Anyway, I upgraded my speakers with Infinity Referance 6812s, which I would consider "middle of the road" speakers, and the sound quality improvement was very much worthwhile. I would check and see if your install was done right. Did you get the polarity matched on the speakers? If you accidentally wired one backwards it will sound like crap.

Also, what speakers did you buy specifically? Some speakers require enough power that they DO require an amp to sound good.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Cowtown
2nd Gear Member

the stock head unit sucks so bad that no speaker will sound good with it
2) i HAVE to get an amp in order to give aftermarket speakers the clean juice they need to sound decent
3) the kenwood speakers I bought suck ***
4) the stock speakers werent that bad to begin with
5) installation mistake (eg... i should have bought a wiring harness for each speaker instead of cutting the wire, but I dont see how this would make a diff in sound quality).
The stock head unit ain't a dream unit by any means but the ascertation that nothing sounds good with it is not true.

2. An amp is always a good idea but more $ and money.
3. That's probably true
4. They're OK, but nothing great.
5. Could be a mistake. If you wire them backwards they will work but you will have sweet bugger all for mid and bass response, they'll sound very flat. There are wiring colour charts on the various Mustang forums, do a search and you can confirm if you did it right.

I installed JBL GTO 6x8 2 way speakers in my car and the difference was night and day between the stock ones and these. Make sure if you are not using an amp to get speakers with a good 90db or higher response as the higher that number the better they perform with less power.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

6 by 9 3-way speakers are a JOKE. i've got $5000 in stereo (equipment ALONE) going into my stang, and guess what im running as rear fill? nothing. proper sound staging in a car of this interior volume does not require rear speakers at all, and is capable of sounding BETTER without them. based on this mentality, it is anyone's choise to upgrade the rear deck speakers (esp if they want a tiny bit more bass extension for cheap without putting in a subwoofer), but WHY THE HELL would you hack up your car for 6 x 9s instead of settling for 6 x 8s or 5 x 7s? coaxials are also more capable, given the lesser complexity of a two-way passive crossover versus a 3-way high/low/band pass passive crossover in a cheap application.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:57 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

as soon as i get 5000 dollars to spend on a stereo then ill get back to you.