Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration 67 - 73 MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:37 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Vibration 67 - 73 MPH?

Everything has a resonance. Once the vibration meets the resonance range the vibration becomes amplified. Once the vibration passes through the resonance range the amplification ceases.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Dan64456
1st Gear Member

Well its really just to match up the problem with underbird10...

Just to make sure we have the same problem so I don't have to worry as much...
Old 06-28-2006, 12:28 AM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan64456

Well its really just to match up the problem with underbird10...

Just to make sure we have the same problem so I don't have to worry as much...
It sure sounds like the same thing I'm experiencing. I test drove a couple of manual GT's before I selected mine; also put about 1600 miles on a V-6 automatic rental car, and this is the only one that has exhibited that particular symptom.

I figure I'll mention it next time I drop it by the dealer for service, just to see what their reaction is. It's easily reproducable, so we'll see if they have the same explanation.

UB10
Old 06-28-2006, 01:28 AM
Airborneflyguy
2nd Gear Member

This may not be the case but there are many who experienced vibration at certain speeds, mostly noticeable after changing to larger diameter wheels. the problem is that ford did not remove the rotor retaining washers. These are washers that go over one lug to keep the rotors on half way down the production line. Removing these washers (one per wheel) can really help in this case. Usually you will experience the shaky steering wheel at certain speeds. It's a quick fix and a helluva lot cheaper than replacing drive line components. Worth a shot anyway.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:02 AM
GaPony
1st Gear Member

Funny,I had the same post a month or so back and I was getting answers like "its your exhaust" "it's your tires" so I kind of gave up. I get the same vibration at 80-85 mph where its real noticable that with every "cycle" of the vibration my shifter chatters (It's a Steeda Tri Ax). I also get some very slifht chatter in all the other gears that a lot of people don't really notice but it's there. I didn't put the new shifter in but the guy who owned it before me did. I was thinking he didn't line up the markings on the driveshaft with the tranny and rearend. They all appear to line up. Any suggestions? Would Ford laugh me out of the dealership if I took it in wanting them to check it with the aftermarket shifter still in the car? It's an '05 with 7000 miles
Old 06-28-2006, 03:15 AM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about mine except with my 4.10 gears when I hit 100 i don't feel safe going any faster. The driveshaft vibrates the cabin to the point where I feel like it's going to break something, maybe itself.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:34 AM
MarkF

I have the same problem in my thunderbird. Vibration at 65-75, smooth cruising at 80+
It's definitely not unique to the new stangs
Old 07-07-2006, 12:58 AM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

Took it to the dealership, ha I have no faith in Ford dealers anymore. I rode with the technician in the car, he said it was my exhaust, I put it in neutral and it still did it he said he'd have his advisor drive it tomorrow. The advisor refused to drive it that fast, and said he couldn't find anything wrong with the driveshaft. I told him it was clearly a driveshaft issue and at that point he clearly didn't like me advising him, basically he told me I was sol and asked how I knew it even had vibrations at 90 and then made a smart @ss comment about driving at that speed. I'm going to take it into a driveline shop soon and get it balanced, should be about 50 bucks.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:50 PM
bosngt

DRIVESHAFT. I bought an '06 Tungsten GT 5-speed a few weeks ago. At mile 669 it developed a horrible vibration/noise at 67-75 mph (clutch in or out, in gear or out, didn't matter). Thankfully, the dealership test drove and agreed and ordered a new driveshaft. The replacement driveshaft fixed 80% of the vibration/noise, but it's still there. Make sure your complaint, and more importantly the test drive findings are clearly documented on your copy of the order. The build date of this car is 05/06.

In contrast, I traded a perfectly good 2005 Mineral Grey GT that I put 12,500 miles on with ZERO defects for this car.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:25 PM
GTeddie

I had exactly the same problem with my 05 GT...

Test drive with dealer determined that it was the driveshaft out of balance...

As noted above, the vibration was there whether the car was in gear or just "coasting" with the clutch in

I was upset with turning the dealer loose on my (less than 300 miles) new GT, but they replaced the driveshaft and the problem disappeared!

I'll bet that, as long as you've made no mods to the car, it the driveshaft!

Quick Reply: Vibration 67 - 73 MPH?