Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to beat a GT500 with Gt.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 02:02 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How to beat a GT500 with Gt.

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

ORIGINAL: iluvmycar

Ok. So people have been telling me to just mod my 06 GT and make it faster than a GT500.
If the GT500 is 500hp and with out GT's we can only get about 450 SAFELY... how is one supposed to pull this off without spending the same amount of money as a GT500 would cost?
PS.. I can get the GT500 at MSRP because of a UNIQUE family hookup with total options Im looking at 48 grand.
If I wanted to do my GT would I not have to do some REAL HEAVY things to it.. ?
Im considering both cost.. safety to the GT.. and overall effort and knowledge needed.
I am not very knowledgable.
If you don't want to turn wrenches this is a very easy decision, go buy the Shelby. All service can be handled by the dealership, plus there will be no warranty issues. If you throw a power adder on a GT, I don't care how good the shop is that you have install it, you better be prepared to understand how to work on it yourself. It's not a project for the timid. Plus if you have any mechanical problems the dealership will likely reject any warranty claims. Yeah, I know about the Moss law, but the reality is people are getting warranty claims rejected on simple mods like a CAI. It sounds like you want easy-street based on your last couple of sentences, so just go buy the Shelby and be done with it
I have to agree w/ tres here. I dont think you guys are giving the cobra enough cr. It would be much cheapper to get a cobra at msrp then modd a GT. The cobra all ready has susp upgrades, brakes, engine, etc. The cobra will hold its value much more and as much as i love my Gt; i think the cobra would be my choice. Yes; I'am very sad that ford and shelby both let a car out weighting almost 4000pds. But that cars is going to be one of the fastest 4000pds cars out there. And i do belive w/ minor modds; it could dip intos the 11's.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Has anyone seen a GT 500 on the road yet? I haven't.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:57 AM
bushbanger
2nd Gear Member

Look I never said the car would or could run in the 10's ... I was repeating what I was reading which is quote.....Either way , It's a fantastic automobile , one worthy of the shelby name. one that should go 10's in the quarter-mile with minimal bolt-ons .......mmff aug 06
Old 06-29-2006, 10:45 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johnnyv8

I have to agree w/ tres here. I dont think you guys are giving the cobra enough cr. It would be much cheapper to get a cobra at msrp then modd a GT. The cobra all ready has susp upgrades, brakes, engine, etc. The cobra will hold its value much more and as much as i love my Gt; i think the cobra would be my choice.
I agree that the GT500 will hold it's value better than a modded GT. But it is MUCH cheaper to mod a GT to match than it is to buy the GT 500.
Let's look at the noteworthy differences and price out a "Cobra Clone"

-Supercharger: $5,000 + $2,000 in supporting mods like clutch, fuel pump, and so on.
-Rear sway bar: $350 for a Steeda, which is better than the Cobra version.
-Springs/Shocks: $1000 will buy you your choice of springs, aftermarket LCAs, and Toicko shocks (better than the Cobra)
-Wheels: $600 for clone wheels + $1000 for very nice tires.
-Custom Paint to match: $2000
-Front Brakes: $2,000 will get you better than the Cobra up front from Wilwood, Stoptech, or Steeda; rears are same as GT.

That comes out to about $14,000. $28K (loaded GT) + $14K (mods) = $42K. That's SIX GRAND UNDER STICKER. With the markup dealers are charging, this is more like 25 grand less. And, you will end up with a car that weighs a few hundred lbs. less than the Cobra, and has many advantages such as the better suspension components, tires, and brakes.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:43 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

With everyone focusing on the weight of the new Shelby, consider the amount of weight you are adding to the GT with an intercooled supercharger (with fluid if it is a air/water intercooler unit like a whipple), wider tires & wheels etc. I don't know if anyone has weighed a blown & modified car before and after but there is probably a weight gain.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:55 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rotorr22

With everyone focusing on the weight of the new Shelby, consider the amount of weight you are adding to the GT with an intercooled supercharger (with fluid if it is a air/water intercooler unit like a whipple), wider tires & wheels etc. I don't know if anyone has weighed a blown & modified car before and after but there is probably a weight gain.
Yes, adding a blower will increase the weight of the GT. However, it still won't be as much as the GT500. The GT500 has an iron block, whereas the standard GT has an aluminum block. That's a lot of weight right there. Also, the fancy trim of the GT500 weighs quite a bit. I'd imagine that even if you loaded out a regular GT with a supercharger and wider wheels/tires, you'd still be at least 200 lbs lighter than the GT500. A lot of the aftermarket suspension mods are in fact lighter than the OEM parts they replace.

Also, keep in mind that upgrading to larger diameter (lower profile) tires isn't always a weight gain. Yes, an 18" or 20" wheel weighs more than a 16 or 17" wheel. But, the low-profile tire for that larger wheel will weigh less than the "big sidewall" tire for the smaller wheels. Depending on exactly what wheel and tire you pick, you might actually be SAVING weight. For example, the genuine FR500 wheels from Fikse are a good 10+ lbs lighter than a stock 17" wheel (each!). Combine that with a light weight performance tire, like a Pilot, and you're saving some pretty good weight all around. Though, in all fairness, those particular wheels/tires are very expensive.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

It sounds like most of you guys don't read much else beyond the forums..not an insult, just an observation.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...lby-gt500.html

03/04 cobra is almost as fast (I think the article state .2 slower) than the GT500. The cobra also handled just as good because of the weight and weight distribution bias.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:36 PM
paco_pony
2nd Gear Member

true, true. but so will will the '07 shelby. roots blower at ~6-7 psi if I remember correctly.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:03 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure what these prior two posts have to do with the topic at hand?

Aren't we discussing if/how to make a V8 GT complete with a GT500, and what the costs of doing that are?

Seriously, the GT500 is a fast car. But it's not magic. It's an S197 just like the GT, it just has different wheels, paint, a supercharged engine and some swapped out suspension parts (not very many). A lot of people revere it as something magical. It's not. It's a car, and like all cars it must obey the laws of physics.

If we install the same parts in a base GT, we end up with the same performance capabilities.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:17 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

03/04 cobra is almost as fast (I think the article state .2 slower) than the GT500. The cobra also handled just as good because of the weight and weight distribution bias.
um... 03/04 cobras only claimed 390 at the crank... this one is claiming 500??

Youre telling me 110 hp... probably about a 90 hp difference at the wheels.. is only going to give you .2 seconds at a track? If so I think we all need to pack our bags and head home..

And Al is right, hes said it many, many times, laid it out in plain black and white, you cant get much more basic than numbers. A GT can be made faster for less money. Period.

Quick Reply: How to beat a GT500 with Gt.