Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making Shaker 500 & Shaker 1000 mp3 disc's

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 06:04 PM
snogoldi
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Making Shaker 500 & Shaker 1000 mp3 disc's

Wolfarms;
Its all magic to me, I use Music Jukebox to rip and burn. But the new version 10 during playback (on my home computer only not the car) has all kinds of pops and noises. They told me to remove all the audio drivers, but Iam afraid it would trash the computer. So I use the Widows Media player for playback. The MP3's I make with Jukebox for the Shaker 500 sound real good. I have only had a couple minor skips in 6 months.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Hidalgo
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the Info ... [sm=interesting.gif]
Old 08-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Wolfarms

Snogoldi,

I thought I would reply to your post in this thread, because the link you provided was far more helpful than what I or others provided up to now. I can now say that the way to go is iTunes due to its simplicity. The details in the link you provided were highly accurate and only left out a couple of things. Those couple of things are: 1) You can have trouble with any CD burner if you try to record too high for it or for the CD's (see below). That unfortunately is a trial-and-error thing. 2) The link in your message does not address the fact that before you burn iwth iTunes you need to decide how to sort the files (usually by Name, Artist, Album or genre). I found it makes sense to me to sort by Artist or Genre. Artist gives you a two-level folder structure that I have read should not work, but I found all the 9 CD's I have recorded so far work just fine. Sorting by Genre gives you top folders for the Genres and below it folders of Artists, then folders of Albums. My Shaker 1000 just ignores the top folder(s), which have only folders (not files) in them. With a couple simple commands at the prompt in a Command Prompt window (we're talking PC's here), you can make nice listings that can be printed and kept with the cd's:
Assuming your CD drive is R:
tree R:\ /a > albums.lst
yields a file in the current directory that lists contents by folders of artists that contain folders of albums for that artist (note names get truncated to about 32 characters).
tree R:\ /a /f > tracks.lst
is the same structure as above but also lists every track title.
Note, if you rip an album having numerous artists, iTunes throws such albums by default in a folder called Compilations, which takes the place of arist names.

Sometimes learning about someone else's mistakes can be helpful. So although I switched from using WMP, Tag3tag and Creative software to iTunes does not mean that route doesn't work. I believe it is possible to do it that way, but the primary mistake I made was not realizing that the mp3 files must have only one version of ID3 Tag (V1.0) if you want to have the Shaker display track, song, artist & album information reliably. But I used MP3tag and incorrectly ended up with two types of tags in the files. Since iTunes only lets you change (not add) what it writes when it rips (ID3 Tag V2.2), you cannot screw up with it the same way (but you still have to change to ID3 Tags). I also had a hardware problem in that the DVD player in my 3+ year old laptop was on it last leg. That was solved by spending $50 and getting an external Memorex 52x USB CD burner. These dedicated CD burners have speeds a bit higher than the fastest current CD/DVD burners that top out at 48x for CD-R's. to fill an entire CD with 8 to 10 albums of mp3 files burning takes about 2 minutes at that speed, which is far better than the ol' 4x burner in my laptop! I also got appropriate CD-R's for the task (Verbatim 1x-52x 700MB).

That's it, and I hope at least part of this is helpful to some folks!

Edited on 8/29/06 to correct/clarify sorting of files in iTunes before burning.