Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window tint scratches

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL
Default RE: Window tint scratches

ORIGINAL: MobyDickDog

I have stated this before in a post about 9 months ago. It ain't just the tint thats scratched boys and girls. It's the WINDOW thats scratched. Take the tint off and you'll see the scratches in the window. The "thickness of the window tint" line given to you is BS.

I knew about the window scratches before we received our car. I told my self that we were not going to roll down the windows until I installed the felt. There were no scratches in the window glass upon delivery. However, as you can predict, the windows were rolled down only a couple of times before tint. Guess what? The window got scratched. It has nothing to do with the tint. It IS a design flaw.

I see my window scratches everytime I use my side mirrors!!!!!

And I think I replied about 9 months ago betting you a cup of Starbucks that it was only my tint that was scratched and not my windows...and I was right. I took the tint off to add moleskin and get them retinted, and as I suspected, there was NOT ONE scratch anywhere on the window! So Moby, YOUR windows may have been scratched and I definitely feel for ya, but this is not a problem across the board and you shouldn't make it sound like it is for everyone. I'm willing to bet (again) that more than 90% of owners with tinting scratches ONLY have tinting scratches and NOT window scratches as well. Yes there is a design flaw, but it doesn't affect the GLASS like you insist.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:29 PM
SlinkyBMX
2nd Gear Member

I just looked and my 07 has felt already
Old 11-05-2006, 05:39 PM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

Wierd... My '07 has scratches already.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:32 PM
PandorasPony

Actually, if I recall from a very old thread about this from long ago, the popular opinion from people who were going though this was that IF you had tint, it would only scratch the tint and your windows would be saved. If you had no tint, it would just start to scratch your glass.

ORIGINAL: Silencer06

ORIGINAL: MobyDickDog

I have stated this before in a post about 9 months ago. It ain't just the tint thats scratched boys and girls. It's the WINDOW thats scratched. Take the tint off and you'll see the scratches in the window. The "thickness of the window tint" line given to you is BS.

I knew about the window scratches before we received our car. I told my self that we were not going to roll down the windows until I installed the felt. There were no scratches in the window glass upon delivery. However, as you can predict, the windows were rolled down only a couple of times before tint. Guess what? The window got scratched. It has nothing to do with the tint. It IS a design flaw.

I see my window scratches everytime I use my side mirrors!!!!!

And I think I replied about 9 months ago betting you a cup of Starbucks that it was only my tint that was scratched and not my windows...and I was right. I took the tint off to add moleskin and get them retinted, and as I suspected, there was NOT ONE scratch anywhere on the window! So Moby, YOUR windows may have been scratched and I definitely feel for ya, but this is not a problem across the board and you shouldn't make it sound like it is for everyone. I'm willing to bet (again) that more than 90% of owners with tinting scratches ONLY have tinting scratches and NOT window scratches as well. Yes there is a design flaw, but it doesn't affect the GLASS like you insist.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:22 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

+1 on that. i work for land rover and have to re-tint windows that my parts mess up (ie window regulators). when i took it to ford so they could do my 30k service on my old v6 i told the service advisor about the windows being scratched because of the missing felt and she gave me that exact deer in headlights look then. i told her i bought the car with the tint on. done at the dealership, which means it carries the same warranty as the car itself. shehad her boss call me and try to tell me that there is dirt in the door that is causing the scratches. complete BS. i told him what i did for a living and then he told me to take it to the dealer and she if they will do something about it because his hands were tied. i just decided to trade that one in on my gt. i am ordering the mole skin right now. is this something i can install or should i have it installed?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:17 AM
rneely2111
2nd Gear Member

I had my windows tinted and the driver and passenger windows are scratched BADLY... So I went to ford and they replaces the weather strip and replaced the tint...And needless to say they are scratched again. I dont know what to do!
Old 07-12-2007, 01:21 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

ORIGINAL: shoeys07torchgt

+1 on that. i work for land rover and have to re-tint windows that my parts mess up (ie window regulators). when i took it to ford so they could do my 30k service on my old v6 i told the service advisor about the windows being scratched because of the missing felt and she gave me that exact deer in headlights look then. i told her i bought the car with the tint on. done at the dealership, which means it carries the same warranty as the car itself. shehad her boss call me and try to tell me that there is dirt in the door that is causing the scratches. complete BS. i told him what i did for a living and then he told me to take it to the dealer and she if they will do something about it because his hands were tied. i just decided to trade that one in on my gt. i am ordering the mole skin right now. is this something i can install or should i have it installed?
I believe TacoBill has a writeup on this