Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotors/Pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:29 AM
b_hollier
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Brake rotors/Pads

I had the Baer Eradispeed rotors on my Vette. They made a huge difference in the braking, as well as the looks. I would save up and get the Baer brakes over the powerslot, the Baer's are zinc coated so they will not rust. Also get a ceramic brake bad, produces alot less dust and helps braking as well.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

i put on a set of Irotors and Hawk performance pads last night, and braking power is DRAMATICALLY better. the only catch is that you have to warm the damn pads up before they grip as good as they can...but when they do....wow...and for 450 bucks shipped...im happy
Old 07-10-2006, 08:42 PM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

How much warming up? Like using your brakes a couple of times in normal traffic?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper05

i put on a set of Irotors and Hawk performance pads last night, and braking power is DRAMATICALLY better. the only catch is that you have to warm the damn pads up before they grip as good as they can...but when they do....wow...and for 450 bucks shipped...im happy
No disrespect intended but those are the type of brakes NOBODY should ever have. Brakes should grab instantly because that is basically what they are for. If a car pulls out in front of you or a kid jumps in front of you, you will not have time to “warm up” the pads to work efficiently. Street (stock) brake pads are much more efficient then any performance/race pad on a street vehicle.

Performance pads or race pads are NOT an upgrade on a street driven vehicle they are actually a downgrade. Without getting into all the technical aspects of brake pads about the only difference between performance/race pads and stock brake pads is that the performance/race pads can sustain much more heat BEFORE they begin to fade, other then that they don’t really do anything better on the street…
Old 07-11-2006, 02:21 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

There are some performance pads that don't require warming up i beleive.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:47 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

I don't understand how you can say this. Do you really know what they are about and how they work? First of all the Power Slot rotors are premuim rotors, not some cheap off shore castings. They really do work in helping with brake fade and cooling. Your average brake pad, including the so called "Perf. Ceramic" start out-gassing around 400-500 degrees. Now reaching this temp. is Not hard to do when it comes to aggressive braking.....spirited back canyon driving for example. Now you can help the situation by using a better pad, such as the Hawk HPS pads. These pads have a good initial bite fom cold.. say 0 degrees all the way to their 800 degree out-gassing. The Power Slot rotors are designed to evacuate/escape the gasses from between pad and rotor.
( Where brake fade comes from) When you combine these two, power slot rotors and Hawk pads you get excellent braking repeatability for a street car. As far as the "cryo" goes, I beleive it helps. How much I don't know. The NASCAR boys have been using it for years with rear-end and tranny gears, etc.
There you go, I will get off my soap box now. No intentions on stepping on toes.

[quote]ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

"Powerslot" rotors are basically a gimmick. The only REAL brake rotor upgrade is a larger diameter rotor, which is the "real deal". Don't waste your money on stock-size rotors.
[quote]

Old 07-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Has anybody tried the new Hawk Performance Ceramic pads?
Old 07-12-2006, 02:56 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

For some reason i thought they would help at least a bit. I wonder if the cryoing is worth it? How much more is it?
Old 07-12-2006, 02:58 AM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

Speaking from first-hand experience, I have had great success on the street with a brake rotor and pad combo on my "other vehicle". I have a set of SP Performance Diamond Slotted rotors and a set of Akebono ceramic pads on my '01 Sport Trac. The mod was done because of the all-around poor performance of the stock rotors and pads. I can say, without any doubt, that the mod does improve stopping distance and improves fade under extremely hard everyday use.

I love the SP Performance rotors (there are many advantages to their design), however they don't have a set out at this time for the '05-'07 Mustang.

UB10

Old 07-12-2006, 03:50 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sonic Boom NH

ORIGINAL: Sleeper05

No disrespect intended but those are the type of brakes NOBODY should ever have. Brakes should grab instantly because that is basically what they are for. If a car pulls out in front of you or a kid jumps in front of you, you will not have time to “warm up” the pads to work efficiently. Street (stock) brake pads are much more efficient then any performance/race pad on a street vehicle.

Performance pads or race pads are NOT an upgrade on a street driven vehicle they are actually a downgrade. Without getting into all the technical aspects of brake pads about the only difference between performance/race pads and stock brake pads is that the performance/race pads can sustain much more heat BEFORE they begin to fade, other then that they don’t really do anything better on the street…
they brake as well or better when cool than the stock ones did, but when they get really warm, they bite a crapload more

Quick Reply: Brake rotors/Pads