Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New JDM Saleen install

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 02:32 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Default New JDM Saleen install

Finally got the install done! I've been fooling with it for a week now. Between travel for work and family matters, it was hard to just "git-r-done". I was taking my time with the install too though. The Saleen instructions were great for the most part. I had 1 little "do over" with the poitioning of a hose clamp but the rest was straight from the play book.

What I installed:
Saleen Series VI Supercharger kit
JDM 3.4" Pulley (9.5 PSI)
JDM Street tune (purchased race also)
JDM Air kit (90mm MAF)
39lb Injectors
JDM Black Valve Covers
C&L Racer Tube w/JDM Black Boots
Granatelli COPs
MotoBlue Fuel Rail Adapter
Autometer Cobalt electrical full-sweep Oil Pressure Gauge
Autometer Cobalt electrical full-sweep Fuel Pressure Gauge
Mustang Hood Strut kit (from JDM)

Since I had the whole front end tore apart anyway, I used that time to install my PIAA driving lights and wire up my fog lights too. Also did my first oil change with 700 miles on the car and put Mobile 1 synthetic in with a Mobile 1 oil filter.

When I finished I took her out for a test drive. I told myself I'd go easy just to make sure everything is working properly, no leaks, belt seated well and stuff like that. That only lasted about 2 minutes. CRACK!!! I was FULL ON IT!!! HOLY SMOKES!!! Now that's how a car should drive!!! -Joe

[IMG]local://upfiles/24599/9A0E06E4D31F4057AB566B933FD5623B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24599/48653601E2E44B3CB6C29E32D920BB4C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24599/DF5B3C8BB54C4EC5B5C8FFC26BEA0583.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-02-2006, 03:16 PM
skymedic
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New JDM Saleen install

SWEET RIDE DUDE!

I am getting my Saleen SC put in on the 11th.

I take it you did NOT send your PCM back to saleen? Since you put in the JDM tune? The guys here in phoenix who are putting it in, have a dyno jet, and are going to tune mine for me.

Thanks in advance.

John Wade

PS,

Why did you buy the oil pressure guage?

I bought the BOOST, Water Temp, and Fuel Pressure guages from Autometer Cobalts?

[IMG]local://upfiles/30525/BAA69FA345304373881A242C09BBAEB6.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-02-2006, 04:43 PM
matto1975
2nd Gear Member

I think I am going to send my pcm back to Saleen to get their tune but I might get that JDM tune that everybody is talking about too. Will I be able to just download the "stock" Saleen tune into my programmer as the "factory" tune and keep it there so I have a copy of it too? Who is a good person to talk to for the JDM tune?
Old 07-02-2006, 05:02 PM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

Dear Matto,

You will not be happy with the Saleen tune because it is way too lean and will make your CEL light up...

The techs at Saleen make their tune for totally stock applications w/#24 injestors and no CAI...

Talk to Jim Jr. at JDM and tell him that you talked to Dave in Chicago about their tune...

With the addition of #39 injectors and a good CAI, JDM can get you into the high 300 RWHP even with the stock 4LB pulley...

Then if you order a 3.6 oulley and belt from JDM, you can get into the low to mid 400 RWHP numbers...

I DID THIS and so did my friend "bnkrtoy" who got his car dynoed and got 434RWHP from the Saleen, 3.6 pulley/#39 injectors and CAI...

Dave
Old 07-02-2006, 05:29 PM
matto1975
2nd Gear Member

I actually got the 39lb injectors and the 9.5-10psi pulley directly from Saleen. I ordered their upgrade kit (with all the fixings) along with the s/c. Can JDM just send a tune via email or do I have need to send my tuner to them?
Old 07-02-2006, 07:10 PM
skymedic
2nd Gear Member

What does JDM stand for. and do you have a website link?

Thanks,
Old 07-02-2006, 07:37 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Very nice car. So what is that whole deal laying down at the tires?? How much did it run you complete if you dont mind me asking??

I found them by just googling "JDM mustang". Came right up. They are actually not too far from my house.

About 2 hours I think. Good to know.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:11 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Sorry about that, I just took it for granite that everyone already knew about JDM. Their web site is:
http://www.teamjdm.com/
Phone Number: 732.780.0770

Jim from JDM has been racing the S197s with VERY competitive times. One of the things that impressed me was they race an automatic. Every tuning place goes after the manuals then catches the automatics sometimes later. It adds a little complexity and it's more finiky. I was happy they are actually racing one. This also means they spend tons of time on the dyno and at the track. They keep it safe and fast.

I wouldn't just completely dismiss Saleen either. People said their 4psi tune was lean but Saleen knows what they are doing. They know how lean they can run it and will keep it safe. Also, you can't simply associate the new 10psi setup with the original 4psi. I am certain that the 10psi comes with injectors and will also be safe. Saleen is way too big to do something that isn't safe. At the same time, You are more limited on other mods. If you just want what they are offering, I think it's a good deal. If you want to be able to keep going with it, you need a good tuner to work with you and your future mods. JDM is that shop. -Joe
Old 07-02-2006, 09:19 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Thanks! I got the oil pressure gauge because the stock oil pressure gauge is really no more than an oil light. It is designed on the same principal anyway. It is a switch that is designed to close above ~6psi connecting a ground signal to the PCM. As long as you have more than 6psi of oil pressure, your gauge will read in that same spot. If you have less, it will alert you. I want more than that running 9.5psi. I have more gauges going in, that's just what I have done so far. I have an very nice Innovate wide band Air/Fuel and datalogging setup. I have the LM-1, LMA-3 and 3 of the digital XD-16 gauges. I plan to show A/F, EGT and Boost plus datalog much more.

No, I did not send my PCM to Saleen. I am using the tune from JDM which is better suited for my car. -Joe

ORIGINAL: skymedic

SWEET RIDE DUDE!

I am getting my Saleen SC put in on the 11th.

I take it you did NOT send your PCM back to saleen? Since you put in the JDM tune? The guys here in phoenix who are putting it in, have a dyno jet, and are going to tune mine for me.

Thanks in advance.

John Wade

PS,

Why did you buy the oil pressure guage?

I bought the BOOST, Water Temp, and Fuel Pressure guages from Autometer Cobalts?

[IMG]local://upfiles/30525/BAA69FA345304373881A242C09BBAEB6.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-02-2006, 09:25 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

I haven't had a chance to get to a dyno yet. My guess is just somewhere between 450-490rwhp, of course hoping for the higher end. As far as price, it's best to call JDM and work with their sales staff. They can put together a package suited for your specific needs. -Joe
ORIGINAL: classj

Very nice car. So what is that whole deal laying down at the tires?? How much did it run you complete if you dont mind me asking??

I found them by just googling "JDM mustang". Came right up. They are actually not too far from my house.

About 2 hours I think. Good to know.