Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...

Old 08-05-2006, 11:59 PM
jims07GT

Default RE: TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...

BL1Nkage, alumacomp, all
I sure would like to have the windows in my 07 triple black vert tinted (when it arrives) but all of the horror stories have me a little leary. Anyone in the Jax, Fl area know any place that will install the moleskin and tint?? Any suggestions appreciated.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:15 AM
alumacomp
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jims07GT

BL1Nkage, alumacomp, all
I sure would like to have the windows in my 07 triple black vert tinted (when it arrives) but all of the horror stories have me a little leary. Anyone in the Jax, Fl area know any place that will install the moleskin and tint?? Any suggestions appreciated.

Have yet to replace my tint (this Wednesday) but based on what I have read Moleskin works! My advice...order and install the product yourself and then go to any reputable tint shop. I am a lefty loosey, right tighty sort of guy and installation was very straightforward. The "toughest" part...getting the plastic panel off in the door handle w/o scracthing it. I used the curved screwdriver that you get with paint for opening the can...worked like a charm.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:55 PM
jims07GT

Thanks.

Still waiting..............[sm=headbang.gif]
Old 08-07-2006, 11:30 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I just tinted my side Windows ... used the $40 pre-cut kit on eBay ... they came out great. I also bought adhesive backed felt from the Craft store and installed it on the inner window gasket prior to putting the tint in ... Tomorrow I tackle the rear window ...
Old 08-10-2006, 11:26 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

Has anyone REPLACED their scratched tint? Were the windows themselves scratched as some here have suggested? What's the point of replacing the tint if the scratches are in the glass? And if they are, why wouldn't Ford have to replace the windows under warranty?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

ORIGINAL: BigNasty06

Has anyone REPLACED their scratched tint? Were the windows themselves scratched as some here have suggested? What's the point of replacing the tint if the scratches are in the glass? And if they are, why wouldn't Ford have to replace the windows under warranty?
I'm having mine re-done by the same shop that originally did them, and believe me, I'm going to ask if I can see the windows after the get the scratched tint off and before they put the new tint on, just so I can see if the windows got scratched. I'll let you know.....and besides, if they are scratched, I owe someone a Starbucks coffee.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:16 AM
alumacomp
2nd Gear Member

Although I did not ask the installer to check the window when they were replacing my tint, they did comment that if the tint scratched as quickly as it did from the wiper on my car then in all likelihood it was scratching the glass. Then they asked why Ford was not doing anything about it?!???!?!?!?
Old 08-11-2006, 03:44 AM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

I guess Ford's too busy recalling MILLIONS of vehicles that burn down houses right now.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:38 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

ORIGINAL: BigNasty06

Had my tinting redone today and, no, my windows were NOT scratched underneath the old tint. Everything looked good....and now it looks even better with the new tinting and the moleskin installed to protect it. My fingers will stay crossed though!
Old 08-12-2006, 04:46 AM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Silencer... PLEASE keep us posted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...