Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...

Old 09-18-2007, 06:36 AM
jeb865

Default RE: TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...

Well, I learned a hard lesson. I went last week and had the windows in my 06 gt vert tinted. I asked the company that did it whether or not I should have the felt or moleskin put in before the tint. the window tint company said "no, we've done several Mustangs and haven't had a problem with any of them" I asked them several times prior to getting the windows tinted and they said the same thing every time.

So after 5 days I put the windows down for the first time. Guess what I saw when I put them up? It looks like a cat was left in my car and went to work on these windows. I'm almost positive that when I call them and tell them about this they are going to tell me to go pound sand. They said they give a lifetime warranty on everything but scratches. I would hope that scratches would still be covered if it was less than a week since they tinted them to begin with.

I'm going to ask the company to replace the tint for free after I install moleskin but if they don't go for that I'm going to ask them to remove the tint and refund my money. I highly doubt I will get that either. So I will probably end up removing the tint myself and bitching about the window tint company the whole time. I figure that since it was on there for less than 1 week it shouldn't be too hard to remove but with the luck I've had so far, who knows. Best part about all of this is now it's going to be an up hill battle to talk my wife into any mods or additions to the mustang after this.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:15 AM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jeb865

Well, I learned a hard lesson. I went last week and had the windows in my 06 gt vert tinted. I asked the company that did it whether or not I should have the felt or moleskin put in before the tint. the window tint company said "no, we've done several Mustangs and haven't had a problem with any of them" I asked them several times prior to getting the windows tinted and they said the same thing every time.

So after 5 days I put the windows down for the first time. Guess what I saw when I put them up? It looks like a cat was left in my car and went to work on these windows. I'm almost positive that when I call them and tell them about this they are going to tell me to go pound sand. They said they give a lifetime warranty on everything but scratches. I would hope that scratches would still be covered if it was less than a week since they tinted them to begin with.

I'm going to ask the company to replace the tint for free after I install moleskin but if they don't go for that I'm going to ask them to remove the tint and refund my money. I highly doubt I will get that either. So I will probably end up removing the tint myself and bitching about the window tint company the whole time. I figure that since it was on there for less than 1 week it shouldn't be too hard to remove but with the luck I've had so far, who knows. Best part about all of this is now it's going to be an up hill battle to talk my wife into any mods or additions to the mustang after this.
I can't understand why folks aren't going after your ford dealer on this. The windows have a product flaw and Ford knows it. I went to my dealer and he (on warranty) replaced the window parts. He also replaced at no cost the tint, which in my case, I had the dealer install.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Stangula

I have an 07 Coupe with window tint from the day i bought it installed by a popular tint place never scratched had it for probally9 months now but parked for last 2 because of winter
Old 01-07-2008, 10:41 PM
LuckyFlyingROUSH
1st Gear Member

Take a razor blade and cut out the inside weather stripping. Problem solved free. I don't have a problem with water or the noise.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:39 PM
XTremeMustang

[:@] I had this occur to my windows this week, the dealer states the issue is not covered under warranty. Having read numerous articles here and elsewhere on the internet I have logged an official complaint with the NHTSB. Maybe that will get FORD's attention!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Natural1

I didn't read the entire post (13 pgs) but has anyone mentioned that Ford does have felt replacments for the "rubber" aka the tint damaging weather stripping? I did some research and $70 later the problem was solved. The part numbers are:

8R3Z-6321456-A
7R3Z-6321457-A

Sorry if this is old news.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Default ?

exactly what parts are those? this thread should be sticked.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:01 PM
06BeastGT

Yea my tints started scratching as soon as i started to open up the windows, i ordered the moleskin and hope this will solve the problem for good!!!
Old 07-04-2009, 03:53 AM
wht67

Default Me too

I just purchased a used 2007 GT and the tint is scratched on the driver side. It has 28K miles and I don't know if the tint was dealer installed or not. I think
I will go ahead and order the moleskin and have the side windows re-done.

Wayne
Old 07-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Moleskin bro, thats all you need

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...