Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...

I see a lot of posts now and again about problems with Window Tints Scratching.

THIS problem is very common with our S197 Mustangs because of the materials Ford used to construct the seals on our windows.

This thread is to discuss those problems and some resolutions.

PLEASE keep the posts specificaly to this topic, and keep the banter to a minimum as this is a TECH thread.

THANKS!
Old 07-03-2006, 12:15 PM
BlackPhantomGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...

IMO, it seems the scratches are more apparent in dusty climates. The members who said they have had no scratches seem to mostly be from states that get rain. I live in Phoenix, AZ. It's very hot and dusty here. I had a severe case of scratched tint. I found no help from the dealer or the tint shops here.

There have been a number of fixes mentioned by members here on the forums, felt strips, velcro loops, moleskin. I searched for the felt strips and could only find a 12" sheets where I would have to cut strips and piece it together I really wanted something that was one long piece without seams. So I tried a self adhesive foam pipe insulation tape rated for 180 degrees, it seemed to be working until the glue smeared all over the window in the heat when the window went up and down. Had to use de-solv-it to get the glue off.

Someone has mentioned using the soft side of velcro, but I think it's too knappy and will trap large particles eventually and scratch the tint. Plus, the self adhesive type is too likely to fail in the heat. I used to make velcro speaker cable ties with it by sticking it back to back and it always smeared all over the cables from being stored in a box in the heat.

I currently have resolved my tint scratches (and have new tint) by using the automoleskin.com product. The glue has held up in the heat with only one minor slippage occurance on the drivers side. This happened a couple days after I installed it, but it has set in and hasn't moved since. I also have a friend who installed it a few weeks ago also and has had no problems with it. This is a very easy do-it-yourself fix and only takes about 15 minutes a side with most of that time spent carefully attaching the moleskin. The moleskin comes with instructions.

However, time will tell......

Old 07-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Airborneflyguy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigNasty06

So that they become aware of this probelm since they apparently haven't heard of this issue yet. At aleast according to my dealer and the Ford Csr Relation Center. That woman I spoke with said to have everyone I know with this problem call them. Here are the number. Can we make this a sticky?

USA
Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O.Box 6248
Dearborn, Michigan 48126
1-800-392-3673(FORD)
TDD for the hearing impaired:1-800-232-5952
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM local time

Ford Motor Company of Canada, Ltd.
Customer Relationship Center
P.O.Box 2000
Oakville, Ontario L6J 5E4
1-800-565-3673(FORD)
Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM local time

A cheap design costs us hundreds to re-tint and add the felt. What a joke!
WE SHOULD ALL CALL THIS NUMBER!!!

Have your vin number ready, that way they can see if it is a problem with all s197's or just certain batches.

The whole point of this thread is to make ford aware of this problem, or atleast to make them admit what they probably already know. Let's see if we can't get this put in a TSB so future mustangs don't have the same problem, and ours can be fixed under warranty...as it should be.

The best fix is the moleskin mentioned above. It runs about 30 bux, which isn't as cheap as the velcro or felt but you do get what you pay for...and of course you will have to re-tint.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

OEMs don't make TSB for aftermarket issues.

If the car didn't come equipped with factory tint, how is that fords problem? If you had it tinted at the dealer that would be the dealers problem or whomever tinted the glass for you.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Airborneflyguy
2nd Gear Member

IT SCRATCHES THE GLASS ON SOME CARS WITHOUT TINT TOO!

Besides it is ford certified tint put on by the ford dealership. I can see that it is partially dealer responsibility but have you ever seen a car that scratches properly installed, manufacturer certified tint like this. How can that not be a flaw in design or material?
Old 07-03-2006, 09:08 PM
chrisc65
2nd Gear Member

The best fix is the moleskin mentioned above. It runs about 30 bux, which isn't as cheap as the velcro or felt but you do get what you pay for...and of course you will have to re-tint.
Dead link - this one works - http://www.automoleskin.com/ford.htm
Old 07-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Rrruss
1st Gear Member

I have some small scratches in the glass on the inside of my passenger side window.

You can feel the grooves with your fingernail as you run across them, they seem to be right where the door handle is.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:17 PM
TempleOfDog

I just ordered the moleskin online. They ship out their orders on mondays. Total with tax was 34.90
Old 07-06-2006, 11:10 PM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

I think It's Gay. I have an 06 S197 and I have 5% ALL THE WAY AROUND. My Back, and Quarter Windows are perfect, but my front two or Scratching BAD, and I also have a Conv. and the Driver window is having trouble coming up sometimes. I took it to my dealer and he said they would take a look at it on tomorrow. And more in likely It was Dirt getting in there. But I told him straight up that I didn't wanna have to get my mom involved with this (I'm 17), But they wouldnt really take me serious, and the car is only 3 months old. I was acting very polite and nice to him but he kept on saying it was my FAULT, because of dirt. O yeah I also told him bout the Molding kit thing but well see what happens. So I'll post tommorow To let yall all know whats up.

- LAK3RS
Old 07-08-2006, 12:36 AM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

just remember, if they dont find anything that would be covered under warrenty then you will have to pay the labor for them to take your door panels off.

anyway, i really hope this gets resolved soon because i dont know how long i can deal with my tint scratched as badly as it is.

Ty

Quick Reply: TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...