Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just did a GT test drive - interior holding me back!

Old 03-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Just did a GT test drive - interior holding me back!

ORIGINAL: thxultra

I love the interer on my GT. It is the one thing that kind of gets knocked on the car but I really like how everything is layed out. The seats are nice and supportave. I don't know how toyota gets away with thier ineters they way they are. They always feel cheap and my uncles sienna minivan seat head rest even broke off ( he is very careful with his cars too). I still think the media is baised on american cars though.
I've been told that the media is owned by the Japanese. Not being sarcastic or anything. Considering how many things aren't American anymore, it wouldn't surprise me. Also, Toyota had to recall 500,000 of it's cars for something or another, and it was comical to see on the news. It was as if it was no big deal at all!

Exterior and Interior design of the 05+ Mustang are best in class. Comparing an 05 model with an 04 Model and you can see how good a job Ford did. My only complaints would be that things rattle.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

To echo the thoughts of a previous post, how the hell can a car have a dashboard without plastic? And to further echo the thoughts of a previous post, my first car was a '68 Chevy, and everything even then was plastic, even had some of it chromed, not that a '68 Chevy is the measure of quality for an interior, but what are really expensive interiors crafted from? Silver, hardwood and ivory?

What has not been mentioned is safety and environmental compromises. There are crash test implications involved with realmetal and wood interior parts. There's a good reason real chrome dissappeared, and most of it is the disposal costs of the hazardous waste necessaryfor the plating process. Ask anyone with a classic that needed some rechroming.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:44 PM
jmanbos

ORIGINAL: Racefiend

ORIGINAL: Supernaut

I also did not like the interior and waited until the Interior Upgrage Package came out '07. It wraps the dash, center console and door arm rests in high quality stiched leather, adds heated seats, more instrumentation and My Colorlighting. The leather makes the interior look awesome. Being as the dash is what you spend all your time looking at,I think it isimport to like what you see.

I didnt like the bright aluminum dash panel, so I got the dark metal one. The metal fitment is poor on mine, but the dark metalic look is a nice touch.
I just went on the Ford site and didn't see how the IUP was any different than in 06. Where are you getting this leather wrapped dash, center console, etc?
Just some clarification: I believe the 'leather' wrapped stuff is actually part of the Premier Trim package. I don't believe they are using real leather for it, but it does look nice.The MyColor and extra instrumentationare part of the IUP. The heated seats can be had as part of the Comfort Group package or as a standalone add-on.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:45 PM
jmanbos

--scratch--
Old 03-23-2007, 10:48 PM
PAINTEDPONY
1st Gear Member

Who cares about the dash, everyone I know that owns a Mustang bought it because it is a mustang, there was never a second choice! I just fell in love with the 05 the first time I saw it, I went from large sedans with tons of space to a Mustang as my daily driver. I love my Mustang.[sm=Awwww.gif]

05 v6auto vert
Old 03-23-2007, 10:49 PM
spongerrich

Hi everyone, thinking about getting a new mustang.... Does anyone have any pics of the "Premier Trim with Color Accent Package" combined with the IUP? I would be getting a black leather interior, but I'm curious to see what the "wrapped and stitched instrument panel brow" and the "upgraded door arm rests" look and feel like. Thanks
Old 03-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyHorse0217

I hated the aluminum strip on the dash so much I wasn't going to buy the car until I saw one without it. I like it better now (on other cars) but looked really cheesy at first. The all black interior with just the fake chrome vent rings and steering wheel trim looks pretty good if you keep all of it Armouralled.
So many dealers only had the aluminum and charcoal dashes I didn't know there was the Interior Sports Appearance Package until I saw it in the brochure and located one at a dealers lot through the www.ford.com site. I fell in love with the all black look and the pedal covers was icing on the cake. It reminds me so much of my 1970 Sports Roof.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:37 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

[8D]

ORIGINAL: Buckshot Barry

ORIGINAL: CrazyHorse0217

I hated the aluminum strip on the dash so much I wasn't going to buy the car until I saw one without it. I like it better now (on other cars) but looked really cheesy at first. The all black interior with just the fake chrome vent rings and steering wheel trim looks pretty good if you keep all of it Armouralled.
So many dealers only had the aluminum and charcoal dashes I didn't know there was the Interior Sports Appearance Package until I saw it in the brochure and located one at a dealers lot through the www.ford.com site. I fell in love with the all black look and the pedal covers was icing on the cake. It reminds me so much of my 1970 Sports Roof.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:15 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

Seats are very comfortable and stay cool.

HOWEVER, it I had a wishlist and wanted to nitpick, my own pet peeves on the mustang include:

-No dead pedal plastic or aluminum pad to cover carpet.

-I dont like the handbrake treatment, needs improvment as far as the lack of boot and handle covering.

-Seat back adjustments are notchy and the seat back release to let people in the back is just stupidly executed as it doesent return to your preset adjustment.

-Seat belt height could be adjustable.

-Aluminum dash looks nice and is real. But sometimes I almost think that ford tried to make the aluminum dash look like plastic or something. I thought it was plastic at first, but it is aluminum.
ditto - except I still like the black dash(no IUP here) if the dark IUP was out when I ordered mine, I woulda went for it- instead just got the ISAP(basically just the leather wheel from IUP).

My two biggest gripes are the seatbelt releases are about 1" too low/almost impossible to reach with a coat on, and the readjusting of the seat every time the kids get in...regarding cheep plastic- I actually love the look of whats there, and its pretty comfortable- but I tend to rest rt knee against hardconsole edge and that does get old quick...if I ever take a cross country trip, might get an ugly stick on kneepad to throw on there(must be common complaint- saw pads on ebay).
As far as cheep-the seatback release upperlevers are absolute JUNK- both mine broke before 6 months old, if kids are getting in and out, guarantee the thin bottom will break out shortly. I broke the drivers side one night, and I was always careful as I'd heard they were fragile...I always did 'my side' yet it still broke- felt really stupid too as it went flying and I looked for 5 minutes, couldnt find it. next morning left for work, found it- sitting in the tach housing

fix the levers, raise the buckle, soften the outer corner of console, it would be great otherwise. Most suprising thing to me was when I FINALLY picked up my car, how well it 'fits' and how it never had that awkward 'new car feel' you need to get used to...felt like an old pair of boots after about 30 seconds in the seat
Old 03-24-2007, 01:47 AM
oakman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Other than the dash rattles my only problem with the interior is that silly door pocket!! I mean what the frag is supposed to go in there??? Can't fit a single CD, road map, sunglasses, pencil... WTF???
Couldn't agree with you more. Kinda useless isn't it?