Supercharger or STS Turbo? - Page 3 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005-2014 Mustangs
Reload this Page >

Supercharger or STS Turbo?

Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Supercharger or STS Turbo?

Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger or STS Turbo?

ORIGINAL: 05MustangSally

My issue is that I still want the mean muscle car sound.

From what I heard, the STS Turbo usually has a high pitch sound that I don't care for. On the other hand, the Supercharger would be deaper in sound and meaner.

I try listening to soundclips but I think that you never get the true sound coming from a computer speaker, you know?
you know, i love the muscle car sound and the blower whine, but there is just something scary about hearing a turbo spool on a mustang. It basically says, "dont **** with me."
Old 10-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

after spending the past 4 days with the NMRA bunch and watching a ton of cars go down the track in all classess I can add this.

Turbos still have lag and need time to build boost period! no matter what type and thats why every big turbo aplication doesnt start making power untill the revs are up unlike a SC which builds it up as at a much lower rmp but falls off higher up unlike turbo that makes better hp at the higher revs. I seen everything from small turbos to huge turbos to twin turbos and every single car needed time to build boost even if it was as little as 2 seconds they still had to spend time spooling up on the line. There were some cars putting out outragious hp with turbos so they by no means are behind superchargers.
I spoke to the Helion camp for quite awhile about there turbos and the only concern i can see with turbo cars is heat soak that affects turbos the worst. Helion was telling me that the 25 degree in air temp from there night run to there afternoon run changed there cars hp by as much as 300hp now thats on a 2500 hp motor where as if they had been running a SC they said there hp loss from the same type powered car would be up to 50% less. They said turbos are better though because you dont lose and streetability even on a big turbo at low rpms where as a SC is using hp to make hp.
Equally equipted a sc car will always beat a turbo car through an intersection.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:57 PM
fragstertx
1st Gear Member

But things are never "equal" so it isn't even fair to say that. Both technologies have their pro's and con's and just like picking your new exhaust out, it's a matter of personal preference. I like the turbo idea because everyone is going with a SC. However, the heat issue and necessity for oil and possibility of "cooking" would concern me. So I see it as this--if I'm just wanting to get up to about 500hp and no more, why not go with the SC since it can do that and doesn't have the turbo cons.

However, if you plan on going over the top and pushing your ride as far as it will go, get the turbo, single or dual, as you can certainly get more HP with that setup than you can with a SC on a stock 4.6. Of course, the stock 4.6 and tranny can only take so much HP before it's leaving pieces on the street. If money is no object, yeah, turbo sounds cool but since money is an object at the moment, SC sounds like the thing. Of course, then you have to decide what SC to get! Decisions, decisions!

I don't understand why everyone is so polarized on this subject, like many others. There is no one right answer or technology. Doesn't anyone have an open mind anymore instead of a personal bias for only what they know (or think they know)? How can you learn what your options are when you limit yourself that way?

Old 10-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Fambaa
2nd Gear Member

1. I like the super charger whistle

2. I like the turbo charger wohahhhh PPTSSSS wahhhhhh PPTSSS with the blow off valve ( in my mind its a lil ricey but o i love that sound lol )

3. I heard that since the turbos are in the back you loose about 1 PSI but since its not right by the headers it doesnt get as hot so its fueling in colder air wich in returns like gives you about 50 more horse power?

But yea im a super charger guy....

I would buy a kenne belle
Old 10-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Yep, I'm on pins and needles....I pick up my 06 GT tomorrow with a new 2.6L Kenne Bell installed!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

are you kidding? a S/c or Turbo'd 4.0 puts out some pretty good numbers. Now if your looking for more power then that then yes trade it in for a Gt. But as far as a 4.0, those are pretty good numbers for a v6.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:46 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fragstertx

But things are never "equal" so it isn't even fair to say that. Both technologies have their pro's and con's and just like picking your new exhaust out, it's a matter of personal preference. I like the turbo idea because everyone is going with a SC. However, the heat issue and necessity for oil and possibility of "cooking" would concern me. So I see it as this--if I'm just wanting to get up to about 500hp and no more, why not go with the SC since it can do that and doesn't have the turbo cons.

However, if you plan on going over the top and pushing your ride as far as it will go, get the turbo, single or dual, as you can certainly get more HP with that setup than you can with a SC on a stock 4.6. Of course, the stock 4.6 and tranny can only take so much HP before it's leaving pieces on the street. If money is no object, yeah, turbo sounds cool but since money is an object at the moment, SC sounds like the thing. Of course, then you have to decide what SC to get! Decisions, decisions!

I don't understand why everyone is so polarized on this subject, like many others. There is no one right answer or technology. Doesn't anyone have an open mind anymore instead of a personal bias for only what they know (or think they know)? How can you learn what your options are when you limit yourself that way?

I really value your response. It was the most helpful to me. Because either of these setups is a hefty amount of money, I'd like some opinions. Yours was very useful and relative. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:35 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

I myself dont like turbos on cars like ours, theyre all fine and dandy on cars that want to hit 190+ but take 2 years to get there. I would personally rather have the convenience of having the supercharger power at any moment I might need it instead of waiting for a turbo to spool up... JMO
Sorry to bust your bubble but turbo lag is a thing of the past. My family has owned over 8 turbo cars and around 3 supercharged cars. I would prefer a turbo anyday over a supercharger. Supercharger belt brakes, belt slips not to mention your boost is limited up to around 16 psi. I will be pushing around 22 psi when I make my car turbo and those type of numbers are just almost impossible for a s/c. I repeat again turbo lag does not exist this days. I would prefer another turbo other than the sts model though, I am really not a fan of a rear mounted turbo for a # of reasons. (More turbing and tubing turns, to far away and a hassle to run oil to. If you do get a STS at least get a turbo timer like most sti's do just to be on the safe side since you never know. Also you know there is a device called a turbo brake ( dont know how they call it over there) that lets you load up the turbine like you would with an auto but in a manual.

Att. Andrew
Old 10-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

If I were you I would get the Powerhouse turbo, way before I would even think about the STS system, I really dont like the rear turbo setups, Oh BTW Rygen not to long ago ran a 12.4. All I got to say is go powerhouse! www.powerhouse411.com
ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

Yes, agreed. Rygen turned a 13.06 quarter on his PH turbo V6 the first time out. Turbo lag is not an issue on that setup obviously!

My personal opinion is that people who don't like turning wrenches should not get into a power adder on their car, or any other serious mod's for that matter. If you're under the hood every weekend messing with your car anyway, then maybe it's for you. But if the only time you've seen your motor is when they asked you to pop the hood at the oil change place, then you might want to reconsider. Power adders can be fussy and require some hands-on attention. They are also not the sort of thing that any corner garage can work on.